Sponsored

Official 2020 Shelby GT500 Mustang Press Release, Specifications, Photos & Videos

AmericanV8Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP, 2016 Corvette C7 Z06
Vehicle Showcase
Definitely a win for the blue oval in my book! Thing looks absolutely mean just sitting there, can't even imagine seeing it live in motion (hopefully with me behind the wheel):like: Not sure why there is so much hate for the front end. If anything, that big gapping maw looks really reminiscent to the original AC cobras.
I fell in love with it the second I heard it go WOT in the reveal video. Makes my Corsa Extreme catback seem tame by comparison, haha.
My only real complaint is that the DCT is the only current transmission option. I think it's great that it is available, but I personally (and I'm sure plenty of others will agree) can't drive such a car with an auto. I really don't care about having the "fastest times" that it may offer, as nothing beats nailing that perfect shift/downshift with a stick imho. And seeing as most of my time spent in my cars is cruising/canyon carving and not on a track, the extra milliseconds gained are benign. Fortunately, I read in one (of the many available reveals) article that one of the heads of Ford hinted that the manual would make a comeback as long as the demand was high enough. It would certainly be a shame, seeing as both the ZL1 and Hellcat Challenger have such an option. Hopefully that will be the case for the 2021 model, and I will be first in line to pick one up!
My only real fear now is the overall curb weight....
As for power, 700 is already plenty for the streets imho. I'm sure that there will be plenty of 2020+ GT500s hitting 900+ with relatively few aftermarket mods if 700 isn't enough. Once you reach those numbers, it really just becomes a pissing contest, unless you are serious about drag racing at a competition level. Traction does become a huge issue, and running DRs throughout the year isn't always an option for everyone.
Anyways, glad to finally see some official news and shots! Now the waiting game is upon us again for the official numbers (price, power, weight) as well as the eventual unleashing of the beast next fall.
Sponsored

angermgmt14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium--Oxford White--A6
Wonder if them paddle shifters will fit on the 15-17 GT350 steering wheel??

FastCarFanBoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GB GT
I could care less about HP numbers as I do Performance times.

Sub 3.5 seconds and under 11 seconds in the 1320 are the norm today. We have 4 door sedans and SUVs doing these numbers.

Weight, handling and having a Manual shifter are more important to me.

No American car is going to beat the Dodge Demon, period. That car is designed for one reason only, to get 1320 feet as fast as possible. Not 1321, or 1350 feet, but 1320.

Nearly impossible for a Front-Engine, RWD car to get under 10.00 with street tires. Even the Demon has Drag tires.

With all the hype and delay, I was expecting this car to go 3.3 and 10.6. My C7 Z06 betters these numbers already, and it's 5 model years old.

The New Corvette C8 with Mid-Engine is going to be the next American supercar. Look at the times Porsche gets with mid-engines. 3.5 and under with a 4 cylinder, 325HP.

They're talking 800HP with the top of the line C8. V8 Twin Turbo with DCT, mid-engine. 2.5 and near 10.2 wouldn't surprise me at all.
you have no idea what the car is capable of yet and no your bone stock Z06 does not run 10.6 in the quarter and GM never claimed it could.

Your Z06 in instrumented tests did 0-60 in 3.3 and the 1/4 in 11.5 so If Ford is claiming under 3.5 and <11.0 its a safe bet it will rape your Z06 in either metric.

get this Troll the fuck outta here already

Sponsored

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
Doesn't look like this venom will kill any demons :):explode:
We’ve only seen the hellcat and zl1 destroyer. The base if you will.

The demon hunter hasn’t been announced yet. Holding that card for the dodge devil or whatever.

I think we will see 3 GT500 models before it’s short run is through on the S550.

Bender

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 LB GT350R HR909, 22 AB GT500 CFTP
The shifter dial and electronic parking brake leave a lot to be desired in the interior. I do like the CF dash, and that it has the 12" display. Overall I really like the car. While I will probably go DCT if I get mine, however would like to see a manual option available. Cutting the trans options was definitely a way to save cost and maximize return on the DCT. That wasn't cheap to develop and buy. Also my guess in 64,900$ to start MSRP and near 80K loaded out.

Another thing I am wondering. I read somewhere today that the supercharger is a roots style. Seems odd they wouldn't use a twin screw at this point.

We’ve only seen the hellcat and zl1 destroyer. The base if you will.

The demon hunter hasn’t been announced yet. Holding that card for the dodge devil or whatever.

I think we will see 3 GT500 models before it’s short run is through on the S550.
From the way it sounds, there will be only 1 GT500 verison. I know Shelby still owns the trademark on some of the other suspected names (GT500KR) and i'd bet Ford didn't want to pay the licensing fees. I doubt there will be 2, let alone 3 versions. Plus the fiasco of dealers not knowing if they have an "R" allocation or not. Then people ordered them and eventually got told tough shit and it can't be built. The dealers are already clueless enough

Ken F. Williams

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenardo
Vehicle(s)
2019 BULLITT # K0750 / Harley Davidson V-Rod / Lincoln MKX
So many beautiful and wonderful things in this Mustang and then you move around to the front grill and, Oh My God, what is this UGLY looking Lexus type grill doing on a Mustang . . . on a Shelby Mustang no less. No resemblance at all to a Mustang what so ever!!! Just makes me wanta puke.
Sooooooooo glad I cancelled the request that I put into my local Ford dealer for a 2020 Shelby and bought a 2019 BULLITT!!!

ClayDee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LB 2018 GT350
I dig it for the most part. Just from the pictures and videos I have seen today. The wing is hideous, and a 6 speed would be my preference, but I could live with the 7 speed DCT as a second choice. I understand the wing serves a purpose, but why one that looks like it belongs on a Honda Civic from 2001?....

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
The shifter dial and electronic parking brake leave a lot to be desired in the interior. I do like the CF dash, and that it has the 12" display. Overall I really like the car. While I will probably go DCT if I get mine, however would like to see a manual option available. Cutting the trans options was definitely a way to save cost and maximize return on the DCT. That wasn't cheap to develop and buy. Also my guess in 64,900$ to start MSRP and near 80K loaded out.

Another thing I am wondering. I read somewhere today that the supercharger is a roots style. Seems odd they wouldn't use a twin screw at this point.

From the way it sounds, there will be only 1 GT500 verison. I know Shelby still owns the trademark on some of the other suspected names (GT500KR) and i'd bet Ford didn't want to pay the licensing fees. I doubt there will be 2, let alone 3 versions. Plus the fiasco of dealers not knowing if they have an "R" allocation or not. Then people ordered them and eventually got told tough shit and it can't be built. The dealers are already clueless enough

Perhaps. But they strutted the old KR out for a reason. And called out it’s name.

If I were a betting man, I’d bet on a KR.

Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Looks like it uses the 15-17 rad cradle.. sure hope that's the case cause I need that hood!

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
And I thought my 350 brakes were silly. Another inch in diameter? Woof. I just want solid rotors for my 350 please!

Anyways, one hell of a looker. Not a fan of the white contrast panels on the seats.

Dealers haven't even started with ADM yet and I'm angry. One of my pet peeves with Ford's dealer network.
Agreed on the white contrast. Hopefully that’s a prepro thing. Production should be color coded or with a monochrome option.

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
So many beautiful and wonderful things in this Mustang and then you move around to the front grill and, Oh My God, what is this UGLY looking Lexus type grill doing on a Mustang . . . on a Shelby Mustang no less. No resemblance at all to a Mustang what so ever!!! Just makes me wanta puke.
Sooooooooo glad I cancelled the request that I put into my local Ford dealer for a 2020 Shelby and bought a 2019 BULLITT!!!
Interesting. The Bullitt is definitely a classy car.

But if I had the means of owning either and I walked away with the Bullitt... the world would be a very sad and confusing place.

Kimbo510

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Tough crowd here to say the least. Being pragmatic I think the car is a win. I honestly don't care about what HP it comes in at as much as the overall track performance and whether it can put the power down. I am a bit concerned about the weight and am interested in hearing that number. I'm not a huge fan of the front grill but I think getting a black car or stripe less color will help with the overall aesthetic.

I love that Ford set up the Track Pack for the GT500 to essentially give us what the R was for the GT350. With a check of a box, we now have access to a rear seat delete, more downforce, carbon fiber wheels and sticky tires. All this without having to find a unicorn allocation. I think this is a win for the public. On ADM's, I think the fact that there is no R will be helpful. It's just a matter of time before the ADMs come down. Supply and demand is what it is. No need to whine or cry about it online. If the car is a dud, you can believe they will be selling for below MSRP. Be patient, save, and work for deals and it will happen.

R

saf1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2015 Mustang GT Performance Pack
Regarding the dial comments. Our 2019 Explorer Sport has it. I believe the GT also and a few other models. It is functional but took a bit of getting used to by us after we sold our 2015 Mustang GT/PP.

More than enough power. I understand all of the various reasons why some want more power or reach Demon heights I would have to ask why. If this is a multi-purpose platform 700+, whatever that ends up being, is probably more than enough provided it can reliably put the power down and do it consistently lap after lap. If it fails in the consistency department then I'd agree it is a failure.

It has an aggressive look. I like the options with carbon wheels. Nice colors. Black, or Shadow Black is always attractive but will sure to be a pain to keep clean.

Dealers and ADM are going to have a field day. When I bought our Explorer I was looking at the Raptors and the Bullet but the ADM and lack of removing it made us glad we stayed with the '18 sport. Those that get on a list, have dealer connections, or just random luck will make out like a bandit. Residual income is a bitch, yeah :D

My personal preference is the GT350 with the higher revving naturally asperated VooDoo. Now may be the time to actually pick one up since our stable is missing its pony.
Sponsored