Sponsored

Official 2020 Shelby GT500 Mustang Press Release, Specifications, Photos & Videos

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
T
I find a RWD vehicle getting into 3 second 0-60s pretty silly actually, and don't think it has as much to do with the engine or power as it does the amount of driving wheels/contact patch.

The GTR has a pretty sweet AWD and traction control system that puts the power to the ground effectively. It likely limits the
power in first anyways (as most high powered vehicles do) to keep it from breaking traction, so again, power isn't really the biggest factor
The 500 is doin it. So thatā€™s a plus considering its power. Itā€™s just comedy hour when people pretend that AWD isnā€™t a ā€˜thingā€™ for off the line traction.

But in the 1/4 mile and everything else, the superior drivetrain shows itself and 500 just lays the smack down.

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
The big willow test is literally the go to for every Chev fanboy who don't know all of the details, or purposefully leave out the details that make the whole story. It doesn't show it in that "fastest laps" leaderboard, but on the day the 350R set that slow time, the ZL1 was only 0.39 seconds faster, which BTW, is almost 3 seconds a lap slower than the same car did on another day. Track conditions were poor that day, as Pobst himself wrote an article on it detailing the great difference in ZL1 lap times. Logic would dictate that if the ZL1 was slow that day due to track conditions, guess what, the 350R was also a lot slower than it could have gone.

The only time the cars were tested same day same driver was the best driver's competition. The times set in that, were all set by Randy Pobst. There weren't different drivers as you claim.... seriously, read the link, or better yet watch the video on their website to see whats involved and how they do things. On that same day with the same drivers, the 350R was faster than the GTR, faster than the NSX, and faster by 1.7 seconds over the SS1LE.

The GT500 is going to be even faster. The 350R was within half a second of the ZL1 when it was down 124hp and 221tq, what do you think is going to happen when you add 200+ hp/tq to the R? LOL
Common sense. Some of the bow tie persuasion just seem averse to it.

Sponsored

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
The NEW Shelby GT500 is one hell of a car!!!
Hope it kicks the crap out of Dodge and Chev.
Hope 700+ HP really means 800 HP to put down the Hell Cat, the Demon, the Corvette and the Porsche 911 GT2 RS
Unfortunately there are a few draw backs;
1. The, Oh sooooooooooo GULY, Lexus type front grill. Doesn't even look like a Mustang!!!
2. The White stripe on the side should have GT500 on it like in 1967
3. The back Spoiler should come out of the back lid like the Porsche 911 and automatically adjust to the speed that your doing
4. There should be a 6 Speed option. Way more fun : ))
5. The GT500 should have rear side air vents for the back breaks and for a better look
Not giving up my 2019 BULLITT but if you fix all of the above I'll buy one.
Zoom, Zoom
Pretty much disagree with every one of your points.

1) front end looks great. Looks like a transcendent version of the mustang. Which it is.

2) its not 1967. Stop trying to oldify a new High-tech car. Itā€™s that type of junk that stops progress. Hopefully you donā€™t think it should be an SRA too...

3) Rather not have the weight and cost.

4) The DCT is the ā€œFPC ā€œ of the 500. It is the single best transmission choice we could have. Be glad. A manual can come later after performance numbers with dct are established.

5) Yuck. Aero drag. Front turbulence stabilizing vents like the 350 would be welcome though.

The Bullitt has none of those things that you say are dealbreakers and yet you claim to prefer it. The Bullitt is a pretty awesome car. Iā€™m a huge fan. But its not GT500.

Love that Ford is treating this like the statement-making 2020 performance carthat itā€™s is

RogueCow27

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler
Pretty much disagree with every one of your points.

1) front end looks great. Looks like a transcendent version of the mustang. Which it is.

2) its not 1967. Stop trying to oldify a new High-tech car. Itā€™s that type of junk that stops progress. Hopefully you donā€™t think it should be an SRA too...

3) Rather not have the weight and cost.

4) The DCT is the ā€œFPC ā€œ of the 500. It is the single best transmission choice we could have. Be glad. A manual can come later after performance numbers with dct are established.

5) Yuck. Aero drag. Front turbulence stabilizing vents like the 350 would be welcome though.

The Bullitt has none of those things that you say are dealbreakers and yet you claim to prefer it. The Bullitt is a pretty awesome car. Iā€™m a huge fan. But its not GT500.

Love that Ford is treating this like the statement-making 2020 performance carthat itā€™s is

This is beautiful...

I whole-heartedly agree with #4. Overall, I think people tend to underestimate what 700+ and a manual is like to live with on a daily basis, even on the track for that matter. In the end, this car is built for performance, not just "fun". A manual may be more "fun", but would be a performance trade-off to "oldify" the car

_M_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A Mustang
Very early mules are M1, not VP. VP cars have all or most of the design intent hardware, including body. M1 is almost all powertrain and chassis (which is why you saw mules looking like GT350s with tweaks). We saw M1s late 2017/early 2018. VP cars were in the late summer/fall of 2018.

The auto show cars are nearly always VP build, not TT, but it depends on the launch. For the GT500, they are VPs. TT will start soon. TT cars are not sold unless the model has very little change and the revised parts have PP-Level (phase 2) PPAP (like 2016 F150 or Mustang). The first saleable GT500s might be PP, though very likely could be start of production at MP1/MP2.
Very informative. Thank you

Falc'man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Falcon
Without the proper prep the Demon wouldn't be any quicker than this off the lights. Whilst street racing isn't what I'm endorsing, I think that in terms of G's pulled in the real world this wouldn't give anything away to the Dodge. The other thing Widmann noted was the power was not yet finalised and they're still trying to extra more out of it. As we've all been told the power was around 720hp but that was a good part of one year ago. I don't think it'll be below 750hp.

My guess is still 777hp. If they delayed it another 2 years it'd be over 900hp but Ford - being in so much of a rush to get this thing to market - just couldn't help themselves.

Sponsored

Khyber

it's a hard parked life
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP CO
good lord...good thing i'm on gigabit internet with that ginormous quotation lol

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Why is everyone attacking how fast/slow it is from the little information that was given out.

If you care about speed go buy a 2018 GT 10speed, slap a TT kit on it and run low 9's and possibly 8's all day long... You'll probably save 20k atleast doing this... Oh wait most people in here commenting can't even afford the new gt500 and are just complaining.
This was the dilemma I had. I had about 30 grand save up from selling my race car and trailer. I really thought owning a GT500 or red eye would be cool. I love both cars! But, Do you wait another year for the GT500? And hope there isnt 20 grand worth of adm throw in. Or just throw 10 grand at a GT? And run faster than any of the super pony cars. I chose faster. I can always pick up a gently used GT500 from some wood be collector in 5 years. When he figures out. Itā€™s not any more collectible than previous GT500s. And let hit take the brutal adm hit!

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
Very early mules are M1, not VP. VP cars have all or most of the design intent hardware, including body. M1 is almost all powertrain and chassis (which is why you saw mules looking like GT350s with tweaks). We saw M1s late 2017/early 2018. VP cars were in the late summer/fall of 2018.

The auto show cars are nearly always VP build, not TT, but it depends on the launch. For the GT500, they are VPs. TT will start soon. TT cars are not sold unless the model has very little change and the revised parts have PP-Level (phase 2) PPAP (like 2016 F150 or Mustang). The first saleable GT500s might be PP, though very likely could be start of production at MP1/MP2.
Let me clarify that the early mules are typically never displayed to the public with the first cars shown usually are a VP or TT car as you mentioned. Of course the only way to identify a VP, TT, PP or MP car is with a chassis plate either on the intake manifold or on a dash pad otherwise a simple VIN aside from the VP cars will not tell you what pre-production stage the car is in.

I am fully aware of the intent of the Variable Prototype cars and have in many cases seen Tooling Tryout cars shown as their launch vehicles as well. It all comes down to timing and the event the cars are at in order to determine which car is used.

As far as TT cars being sold to the public that is not my understanding and only in one case have I seen a TT car sold to the public and that was "TT0001" which was a CO Boss 302 but maybe you can expand upon many other TT cars that have been sold to the public through a Manheim public auction.

Personally I have a hard time imagining Ford selling off any Pilot Production cars or any Mass Production GT500 vehicles as the first of these cars being sold to the public. That was certainly not the case with the last generation Boss 302's or the recent GT350/R's.

Of the 12 PP or 44 MP Boss 302 cars none of them were sold to the general public as launch vehicles and that also goes for the recent generation GT350/R's.

:sunglasses:

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Let me clarify that the early mules are typically never displayed to the public with the first cars shown usually are a VP or TT car as you mentioned. Of course the only way to identify a VP, TT, PP or MP car is with a chassis plate either on the intake manifold or on a dash pad otherwise a simple VIN aside from the VP cars will not tell you what pre-production stage the car is in.

I am fully aware of the intent of the Variable Prototype cars and have in many cases seen Tooling Tryout cars shown as their launch vehicles as well. It all comes down to timing and the event the cars are at in order to determine which car is used.

As far as TT cars being sold to the public that is not my understanding and only in one case have I seen a TT car sold to the public and that was "TT0001" which was a CO Boss 302 but maybe you can expand upon many other TT cars that have been sold to the public through a Manheim public auction.

Personally I have a hard time imagining Ford selling off any Pilot Production cars or any Mass Production GT500 vehicles as the first of these cars being sold to the public. That was certainly not the case with the last generation Boss 302's or the recent GT350/R's.

Of the 12 PP or 44 MP Boss 302 cars none of them were sold to the general public as launch vehicles and that also goes for the recent generation GT350/R's.

:sunglasses:
Oh I'd agree that it's unlikely that the GT500 PP cars will be sold, but it's so dependent on launch quality.

TT cars being sold would be when there is a very limited change between model years, but enough to actually have TT and PP builds.
Sponsored