Sponsored

Official 2020 Shelby GT500 Mustang Press Release, Specifications, Photos & Videos

Allentown

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allen
Vehicle(s)
2021 401A Security pckg 20x9 Chrome Wheel Upgrade
No it does not.

You can not order a limited production car from any Ford dealership. They have to "buy in" to the Shelby/Ford Performance program in order to get allocations ford Shelby/Bullitt/Raptor cars & trucks.

So they can charge you whatever they want because there are only so many to go around at first. If you don't like it go to another dealership.

However, I believe 6-12 months after the 2020 GT500 hits dealerships you should be able to get them at MSRP all day long in the midwest.
Okay interesting. I did not know that i just noticed you can build your own GT350 online presently so it looks like that embargo is lifted on the GT350?

I wanted the max straight line performance to go with everything so i got an 18 A10 and i am just throwing handling upgrades all over it. I am not 100% sold on the FI GT500. If they were to drop that DCT 7 or the A10 into a GT350 package I would be all over it.
Sponsored

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
Good info on the other cars.

I know from a production stand point the line hasn’t started PP cars yet. Have that info for certain. To your point though, that doesn’t mean there aren’t any, but if there are they weren’t produced on the line. Would that be considered a TT car? Or is that still a PP car?
The very early mules are VP cars (usually only 1 or 2 cars) which typically have well over $1,000,000 of investment in each vehicle and are not seen often although I have seen a few over the years. These cars have no VIN and are destroyed once the TT cars come on line with them being destroyed at unnamed locations under very heavy supervision from Ford management.

The Tooling Tryout cars have a separate assembly line and do come with a VIN but again they are rarely seen on the display or show car circuit but they have been out there.

If these new GT500 comes with a chassis display badge on the dash as in the recent Boss 302 and GT350/R cars it will be very easy to determine a TT versus a PP car and if they do not have a chassis number assigned to each vehicle then the only other way to determine one of these cars is through a specific series of VIN numbers that are assigned to all pre-production vehicles. The Mustang PP line has their own separate VIN series.

I am not sure if the very few pre-production vehicles that have been on display at the NAIAS or on video where TT or PP cars but in any event I will do my best in Scottsdale this week in order to find out some additional information on these early cars.

:sunglasses:

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
The very early mules are VP cars (usually only 1 or 2 cars) which typically have well over $1,000,000 of investment in each vehicle and are not seen often although I have seen a few over the years. These cars have no VIN and are destroyed once the TT cars come on line with them being destroyed at unnamed locations under very heavy supervision from Ford management.

The Tooling Tryout cars have a separate assembly line and do come with a VIN but again they are rarely seen on the display or show car circuit but they have been out there.

If these new GT500 comes with a chassis display badge on the dash as in the recent Boss 302 and GT350/R cars it will be very easy to determine a TT versus a PP car and if they do not have a chassis number assigned to each vehicle then the only other way to determine one of these cars is through a specific series of VIN numbers that are assigned to all pre-production vehicles. The Mustang PP line has their own separate VIN series.

I am not sure if the very few pre-production vehicles that have been on display at the NAIAS or on video where TT or PP cars but in any event I will do my best in Scottsdale this week in order to find out some additional information on these early cars.

:sunglasses:
Very early mules are M1, not VP. VP cars have all or most of the design intent hardware, including body. M1 is almost all powertrain and chassis (which is why you saw mules looking like GT350s with tweaks). We saw M1s late 2017/early 2018. VP cars were in the late summer/fall of 2018.

The auto show cars are nearly always VP build, not TT, but it depends on the launch. For the GT500, they are VPs. TT will start soon. TT cars are not sold unless the model has very little change and the revised parts have PP-Level (phase 2) PPAP (like 2016 F150 or Mustang). The first saleable GT500s might be PP, though very likely could be start of production at MP1/MP2.

RaceRed5.0

Threads
Reaction score
From Texas to Louisana to California back to Texas
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 3.55, Modded 2006 Pontiac G6
You know Camaro fan girls are going to hate on the hood being somewhat of a copy of the Z28. But anyways I think it looks sick. Will add it to my dream car list that will probably never happen.

SVTSNAKE355

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
hothands
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT500
:cwl:
You know Camaro fan girls are going to hate on the hood being somewhat of a copy of the Z28. But anyways I think it looks sick. Will add it to my dream car list that will probably never happen.
Don't worry about the Crapmaro gang, when the GT500 with that DCT blows the doors off of that zl1,1le they will be on suicide watch

Sponsored

RaceRed5.0

Threads
Reaction score
From Texas to Louisana to California back to Texas
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 3.55, Modded 2006 Pontiac G6
:cwl:
Don't worry about the Crapmaro gang, when the GT500 with that DCT blows the doors off of that zl1,1le they will be on suicide watch
Haha I know they will probably become soyboys, drink latte's and start driving a Prius after words.

V00D00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
I think you dont undderstand what performance means then.. FYI:

I think its even better than expected. My only complaints are the wing (prefer gt350) and no white for 2020. This is the reason I held off on the gt350. Ford nailed it.

As for performance, It should do better than my old car with a similar setup: E92 M3 DCT, RWD, 3700lbs, 4.0L, 8psi rotrex C38-92 supercharged,

made 550hp to the tires 2 hours before going to the track and clicking off 10.5s all day 132/133mph, even with crap 60ft. Had a lineloc for burnouts, but the launch control strategies at the time were not that aggressive, nor tunable. As well as still on a 17" hoosier.

With the ford backing of aftermarket, this car is going to RIP bone stock, and be a supercar killer even lightly modded.

I am 100% In for trying to get one at a reasonable price
gt500.jpg

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Limited
Okay interesting. I did not know that i just noticed you can build your own GT350 online presently so it looks like that embargo is lifted on the GT350?

I wanted the max straight line performance to go with everything so i got an 18 A10 and i am just throwing handling upgrades all over it. I am not 100% sold on the FI GT500. If they were to drop that DCT 7 or the A10 into a GT350 package I would be all over it.
You can build anything you want online but the dealers can still choose to add ADM to it.

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
This is your "good bit faster", really, a half second? Funny...there are many drivers in this test. So, not the same driver.
The big willow test is literally the go to for every Chev fanboy who don't know all of the details, or purposefully leave out the details that make the whole story. It doesn't show it in that "fastest laps" leaderboard, but on the day the 350R set that slow time, the ZL1 was only 0.39 seconds faster, which BTW, is almost 3 seconds a lap slower than the same car did on another day. Track conditions were poor that day, as Pobst himself wrote an article on it detailing the great difference in ZL1 lap times. Logic would dictate that if the ZL1 was slow that day due to track conditions, guess what, the 350R was also a lot slower than it could have gone.

The only time the cars were tested same day same driver was the best driver's competition. The times set in that, were all set by Randy Pobst. There weren't different drivers as you claim.... seriously, read the link, or better yet watch the video on their website to see whats involved and how they do things. On that same day with the same drivers, the 350R was faster than the GTR, faster than the NSX, and faster by 1.7 seconds over the SS1LE.

The GT500 is going to be even faster. The 350R was within half a second of the ZL1 when it was down 124hp and 221tq, what do you think is going to happen when you add 200+ hp/tq to the R? LOL

1mic

Banned
2 mph so everybody sees u
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
God bless America, all 8.4 liters -Randy Pobst
The GT500 is going to be even faster. The 350R was within half a second of the ZL1 when it was down 124hp and 221tq, what do you think is going to happen when you add 200+ hp/tq to the R? LOL
That really depends, the R was behind the ZL1, but what about the ZL1 1LE? Also you have to remember the GT350R weighs 3650lbs in its lightest form. We dont know what the GT500 weighs. If its a fucking boat weighing in excess of (speculated 4200lbs), GT500 may be in trouble.

Sponsored

Allentown

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allen
Vehicle(s)
You can build anything you want online but the dealers can still choose to add ADM to it.
So you have to pick out your dealer carefully and set everything up ahead of time even if it might mean driving a couple states over?

Sorry this is all academic to me, when buying halo cars like a GT500, id have to wait and find a used heavily depriciated one with low miles anyway (what i did last time).

My local dealer is not good, they marked up a basic 50th anniv 10k and i think they have their bullet marked up 10k right now. They marked their GT350R up 20k

I am guessing they mark the GT500 up 30k. They tell me they waive these for preferred customers and i buy enough cars and know the financial manage well enough that i might just barely make that cut one day but not even then it would be after demand goes down some before they did it for me (my bank account isn't as good as some of these guys around here). Just wondering if i could trade my 14 raptor and my current GT for a new GT500 with no ADM like by the year 2022 or 2023 without having to spend 6 months on the internet and drive 4 states over to get it done. They JUST recently starting advertising that GT350R at MSRP as their "internet special price" (Sticker in show room still shows a 20k markup).

Last edited:

RogueCow27

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler
We will find out if it can or can’t.

Fords little reveal about 1/4 miles times doesn’t quite add up to it’s claimed 0-60. But there is a lot of wiggle room they e left for themselves in the way they worded that. Being the car is so far out from being in our garages, I imagine they are playing the cards close.

When it comes out, it is going to be a killer.

The only advantage the GTR has is ALL WHEEL DRIVE. And that’s a huge advantage. But Ford has really upped the ante with a much superior engine and the DCT. THE GTR won’t have the shifting advantage anymore.

Even IF the gtr can beat the 500 to 60 due to the traction from awe, it LOSES to the 1/4 mile all the way to top speed. Basically the 500 trounces it once it grips.

So I guess that whole argument is just rather silly now.
I find a RWD vehicle getting into 3 second 0-60s pretty silly actually, and don't think it has as much to do with the engine or power as it does the amount of driving wheels/contact patch.

The GTR has a pretty sweet AWD and traction control system that puts the power to the ground effectively. It likely limits the
power in first anyways (as most high powered vehicles do) to keep it from breaking traction, so again, power isn't really the biggest factor

Allentown

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allen
Vehicle(s)
I find a RWD vehicle getting into 3 second 0-60s pretty silly actually, and don't think it has as much to do with the engine or power as it does the amount of driving wheels/contact patch.

The GTR has a pretty sweet AWD and traction control system that puts the power to the ground effectively. It likely limits the
power in first anyways (as most high powered vehicles do) to keep it from breaking traction, so again, power isn't really the biggest factor
Agreed for 0 to 60. Once you get much over 500hp the secret sauce is going to give you better results dealing with suspension, wheel mass, tires, gearing, throttle management etc.

The 1/4 mile is a different story as brute HP will start to just walk off once you past 45mph. At speed acceleration such as on the highway will heavily favor higher HP as well. Long tracks with high speed straights will favor a GT500, short tracks with turns every where i suspect will favor GT350s and modded GTs with smaller wheel mass, less over all weight and better traction management where having less power may be an asset.

I could be wrong but...

Ken F. Williams

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenardo
Vehicle(s)
2019 BULLITT # K0750 / Harley Davidson V-Rod / Lincoln MKX
The NEW Shelby GT500 is one hell of a car!!!
Hope it kicks the crap out of Dodge and Chev.
Hope 700+ HP really means 800 HP to put down the Hell Cat, the Demon, the Corvette and the Porsche 911 GT2 RS
Unfortunately there are a few draw backs;
1. The, Oh sooooooooooo GULY, Lexus type front grill. Doesn't even look like a Mustang!!!
2. The White stripe on the side should have GT500 on it like in 1967
3. The back Spoiler should come out of the back lid like the Porsche 911 and automatically adjust to the speed that your doing
4. There should be a 6 Speed option. Way more fun : ))
5. The GT500 should have rear side air vents for the back breaks and for a better look
Not giving up my 2019 BULLITT but if you fix all of the above I'll buy one.
Zoom, Zoom
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator: