Sponsored

Official 2020 GT500 brochure!

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
No. That is a Getrag unit and in an entirely different configuration.

Niz55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Damn.... I need this car bad!

Suddenly my gt350 is shit.

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
As I said, I've posted on it elsewhere here at 6G. There have been "numerous" cash infusions at CR. The timing of which, looks to be after what you are referring to.

Here's an example. And while they won't ramp up instantly, they are already increasing production.

http://www.australianmanufacturing....expansion-to-generate-500-new-jobs-in-geelong
If that was the case (costs lowered and production increased), then why not make the majority of the cars components out of carbon fiber? If it is so pervasive, then certainly it would bring this car to a new level.

This is more than wheels. (And I still don't believe you can just increase production to that magnitude like that). If this car is going to be special, weight is critical. The bottleneck has always been about the carbon fiber components. I don't see that changing a whole lot in this instance.

But after all, this is just a business opportunity for you anyway. Besides that, what gives?

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Wow I really like it. I wasn't sold on the renderings or the leaked images we have seen before but if this is it then I really do like it. Well done Ford.

Lubner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
DCT is awesome but I would have thought there would have been a manual option.

Sponsored

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
It is changing Tom, I don't know how else to get that point across to you. They have been ramping up and are readying for a major increase.

As to a decrease in cost (at the consumer level anyway), we aren't seeing the sizeable decreases that everyone had hoped for - yet.

...then why not make the majority of the cars components out of carbon fiber?
Fodder for a much larger discussion, no doubt. Suffice it to say, there are many emerging technologies regarding composites. Companies are sometimes using fibers that are other than carbon based ones (Porsche I believe is doing this now). Some are experimenting with "chopped" fibers such that they can be molded instead of laid up by hand. In the case of the new GT500 hood and fenders, Ford chose to use SMC, a highly engineered thermoset. Ford could have gone with a CF hood and fenders but elected to use SMC instead. Hopefully they explain in detail why they made that choice. Bottom line - composites are slowly trickling into use at the OEM level and the typical first applications we see are their use on high end models. It isn't mentioned in those just released photos but the GOR from Magna will be in place again on the GT500 as well. And Ford reverted back to a one piece CF driveshaft, ala the 2013/2014 GT500 too which I think was a great move. So composites are indeed making inroads here but still in relatively small numbers.

Khyber

it's a hard parked life
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP CO
I have no doubt this is going to be an $80,000 car. :crying:
at least 80k....120-150 because dealers.

i wish consumer would form a no adm coalition and not buy a single fricking one just to say f you to dealers.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
It is changing Tom, I don't know how else to get that point across to you. They have been ramping up and are readying for a major increase.

As to a decrease in cost (at the consumer level anyway), we aren't seeing the sizeable decreases that everyone had hoped for - yet.
Oh, I got the point, I just don't believe it. What's next? Carbon fiber caliper studs (joking of course).

Tomorrow I guess....

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Damn.... I need this car bad!

Suddenly my gt350 is shit.
I'd take a GT350 over this no question. It will be a hugely desirable driver's car for years to come, despite being slower.

96cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
Looks good, but it doesn't make me feel like I want to trade my R for it. Now if I could add it and keep the R, that would be ideal. :)
Sponsored