Sponsored

Official: 2018 Ford Mustang Refresh Detailed! (Options/Features, Specs, Photos, Info)

chain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT
Holy bullshit Batman. Most SS camaros are laying down 400-405hp, not 430. Tune only GTs are laying down the same 405hp, but are nearly 100 lbs heavier. A 455 hp mustang will have nearly an identical hp to weight ratio as the Camaro, meaning acceleration should be quite comparable.

It's funny, you say until power is confirmed, it's still down on power and weighs more. Neither the power nor the weight has been confirmed. If dodge can remove 200 lbs out of the new hellcat/demon, why is it that you are assuming the mustang is going to weigh the same?
I've thought the same thing. Whose to say we don't get more aluminum like the F-150's are getting? Everyone wants to talk about HP gains but seems hardly anyone has thought about the possibility of losing weight.
Sponsored

JWS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2015 WW-50th LE Auto-0745-Grandé
Magnaride

All I wanna know is whether Ford will be making a kit to add those magneride dampers to my S550; seems like it qould involve sensors and ecu upgrades as well. I'd be interested in the mt-82 upgrades too (clutch and flywheel), I definitely want those michelins pilot 4s' and would be interested in the other suspension upgrades (maybe they cured wheel hop).
Ford Performance had the Active Exhaust when they displayed the 5.2 Aluminator XS with Automatic. Maybe they will also offer the Shocks.

moto111

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
I've thought the same thing. Whose to say we don't get more aluminum like the F-150's are getting? Everyone wants to talk about HP gains but seems hardly anyone has thought about the possibility of losing weight.

Car is gaining weight lol it's the same platform with more options which will likely mean some weight gain

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Car is gaining weight lol it's the same platform with more options which will likely mean some weight gain
The new Demon is losing 200lbs while being on the same platform as the hellcat.

Could it gain weight? Sure it could...but there are plenty ways Ford can save weight to negate any gains.

There seems to be a lot of assumptions being thrown around in here.

lemers

Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
The new Demon is losing 200lbs while being on the same platform as the hellcat.

Could it gain weight? Sure it could...but there are plenty ways Ford can save weight to negate any gains.

There seems to be a lot of assumptions being thrown around in here.

It could lose weight, but if it were...Ford would be talking about it.

Sponsored

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
It could lose weight, but if it were...Ford would be talking about it.
They aren't giving horsepower numbers either.

Ford doesn't want a weight increase here. My guess is, they will do enough to at least eliminate any gains.

Lighter wheels, lighter tires. They could lose a few lbs in the seats, lose a few lbs in chassis tweaks etc.

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
They aren't giving horsepower numbers either.

Ford doesn't want a weight increase here. My guess is, they will do enough to at least eliminate any gains.

Lighter wheels, lighter tires. They could lose a few lbs in the seats, lose a few lbs in chassis tweaks etc.
Forged wheels a PS4 S tyres should save 20kg from the PP car.

Dual mass clutch is heavier generally, 1-2kg.

Additional leather on interior, 1-2kg.

Chassis tweaks: This could save or add weight, maybe the new swaybars are hollow?

So it might be a touch lighter with PP and forged wheel option, otherwise to reduce weight the new panels A-pillar forward would need to be lighter, that is indeed possible and lets hope so, also weight loss from the front-end is preferential as the car at present has like a 54/46 weight balance, the closer it gets to 50/50 the better.

TrooperX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Jetta
I know this is fairly off the current topic, but i have been reading the forms for the past 2 weeks daily researching the 2018 (i figure when everyone referrers to 18MY -that means model year?)

im currently not a mustang owner but i am going to be one at the end of the year, hopefully.

but i was a bit confused i see that all if not most of the majority 2018's ford are all getting the B&O (play for some models) i.e f150, fiesta, etc. has there been any word on the new mustangs?

i know in the press conferences they said that the digital dash was an "option" does that mean its an add-on or it comes with the premium package? do you guys think that the MagnaRide will be able to be added without the performance pack?

Also i know that this was an issue with the earlier versions of the s550's the panel gap, has ford fixed this issue with the current gen's or its still more or less an issue?

Also is the MT-82 really as bad as everyone is saying it is? keeping in mind this will be my daily.

i would like to finance the car but do you think its better to lease the car and finance the s650 instead?

Also apologies in advance for just tossing this out there randomly

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
I know this is fairly off the current topic, but i have been reading the forms for the past 2 weeks daily researching the 2018 (i figure when everyone referrers to 18MY -that means model year?)

im currently not a mustang owner but i am going to be one at the end of the year, hopefully.

but i was a bit confused i see that all if not most of the majority 2018's ford are all getting the B&O (play for some models) i.e f150, fiesta, etc. has there been any word on the new mustangs?

i know in the press conferences they said that the digital dash was an "option" does that mean its an add-on or it comes with the premium package? do you guys think that the MagnaRide will be able to be added without the performance pack?

Also i know that this was an issue with the earlier versions of the s550's the panel gap, has ford fixed this issue with the current gen's or its still more or less an issue?

Also is the MT-82 really as bad as everyone is saying it is? keeping in mind this will be my daily.

i would like to finance the car but do you think its better to lease the car and finance the s650 instead?

Also apologies in advance for just tossing this out there randomly

I think the only thing we can confirm with certainty is that MY does refer to Model Year ;)

Nothing else has been confirmed yet in sufficient detail. You'll need to wait until the order banks open to know exactly what options can be ordered with what trim levels :)

tlondon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Ford Mustang Bullitt #0083
New, I think, tidbit of info from an Autoblog article...

"A Ford rep defended the Mustang, saying that most vehicles in its segment don't offer those systems as standard equipment, while also noting that the updated 2018 Mustang will get new safety systems. Those include Pre-Collision Assist with pedestrian detection, distance alert, lane-departure warning, lane-keeping assist, and Driver Alert System."

Sponsored

FIVE_LITER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT PP Competition Orange
The mt82 is the best rwd manual transmission I've ever owned. I've been supercharged since August and haven't had a bit of trouble out of mine and I don't baby it.

Khell86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang Gt
Isn't the GTPP going to be available with the similar options as the 1LE?
As far as I know there are two new options for the PP, Magneride suspension and the Forged Aluminum wheels. While the tires are new, they're not really a new option. I do think the GTPP will defnitely close the gap quite a bit with the 1LE, but it still is lacking a few features.

HISSMAN

Large Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT/PP Premium
If the forged wheels are light... I doubt they will be, then that will help handling a lot. Most OE forged offerings are still heave AF. But even if they are only a couple lbs lighter than the current offerings, then that will be of some benefit.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
As far as I know there are two new options for the PP, Magneride suspension and the Forged Aluminum wheels. While the tires are new, they're not really a new option. I do think the GTPP will defnitely close the gap quite a bit with the 1LE, but it still is lacking a few features.
If the forged wheels are light... I doubt they will be, then that will help handling a lot. Most OE forged offerings are still heave AF. But even if they are only a couple lbs lighter than the current offerings, then that will be of some benefit.
Between wheels and tires, you could easily shed 4+lbs/per. That weight would more than offset the magneride suspension.
Sponsored