Sponsored

Official: 2018 Ford Mustang Refresh Detailed! (Options/Features, Specs, Photos, Info)

DukeGaGa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium PP
Ok, just an observation: F1 cars have different size wheels too, and you can't say they don't handle well on the track. So I wouldn't purely base my argument on handling.
Sponsored

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
I don't think most of the general public sees much when looking at wheels/tires except the way the rim looks and maybe how fat the rear tires are when driving behind them. Staggered looks bigger at the back (and provides extra stability) and can be cheaper up front.

CompOface

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP Comp Orange / Daily 2010 F-150 5.4L
You said wider......as in wider than the front. Otherwise what would that mean? Wider than what? If you're going to put a wide rear tire on the car then put the same size tire on the front.
Way to over complicate a very simple statement. What does anyone with more power than available grip to to cheaply go faster? Wider rear tires and don't touch the front. Helps with 0-60 times, which drives marketing, which drives sales. Simple, cheap, inexpensive formula to get more sales. Just like the '18, better rubber = faster 0-60 times. Yes I know there are many more changes to the '18, but you cannot discount the impact the new PP tires have on performance numbers.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
Ok, just an observation: F1 cars have different size wheels too, and you can't say they don't handle well on the track. So I wouldn't purely base my argument on handling.
They also have front canards... & downforce. :thumbsup:

Like I said, the PP2 and the square set up looks nice. It looks outstanding on the Mustang and it has me staring more & more at the car everyday, more than I would like to admit.

I felt comfortable getting rid of my BMW, knowing a squared set up & magneride is coming to the Mustang. Handling is handling...

:ford:

Sponsored

JWS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2015 WW-50th LE Auto-0745-Grandé
Alignment

Yeah, that's why I took that picture. It's laughable that this still is a problem. Actually I don't believe they will fix that for the production model :tsk:
The F-150s have their Glass installed by Robots. No reason to think the Mustang is any different. Still think the left side of the cars has a problem, due to the alignment problems with the hood to bumper interface and the left side Door gaps. Appears that has been fixed on the 18s.

You'd think that with a stiff enough structural Glass adhesive, you could program the Robots to hold the Glass in position long enough so the Glass wouldn't move or settle.

Anyways, I was told by Manufacturing that the Glass is the problem. Maybe they will do the best they can with what they have so they don't have to retool the glass until the S650 comes out.

However, I did see a 50th at Woodward that had better alignment (compared to mine)
IMG_1967.JPG

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/black stripes
The F-150s have their Glass installed by Robots. No reason to think the Mustang is any different. Still think the left side of the cars has a problem, due to the alignment problems with the hood to bumper interface and the left side Door gaps. Appears that has been fixed on the 18s.

You'd think that with a stiff enough structural Glass adhesive, you could program the Robots to hold the Glass in position long enough so the Glass wouldn't move or settle.

Anyways, I was told by Manufacturing that the Glass is the problem. Maybe they will do the best they can with what they have so they don't have to retool the the glass until the S650 comes out.

However, I did see a 50th at Woodward that had better alignment (compared to mine)
With the apparent tendency for the left side to be the problem I wonder if there is a technical problem, like there is a jig off by 1mm, maybe much earlier in the process.

Peel the onion. If you look at the glass placement process and determine that is OK, but the frame is off by 1mm, go further back and figure out why the frame is off.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Yeah, its not universal. You can't see any difference between the sides of the rear glass on my 2016.

DukeGaGa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium PP
They also have front canards... & downforce. :thumbsup:

Like I said, the PP2 and the square set up looks nice. It looks outstanding on the Mustang and it has me staring more & more at the car everyday, more than I would like to admit.

I felt comfortable getting rid of my BMW, knowing a squared set up & magneride is coming to the Mustang. Handling is handling...

:ford:
True, but I thought PP gives you front splitters? And that also provides some downforce improvements if I remember correctly. :shrug: Anyway, my point is people don't need to make such a big deal of tire size being different.

Sponsored

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/black stripes
True, but I thought PP gives you front splitters? And that also provides some downforce improvements if I remember correctly. :shrug: Anyway, my point is people don't need to make such a big deal of tire size being different.
There are a number of reasons for a staggered setup. Aesthetics are one. However, I think traditionally it started with a simple fitament issue. The rear can normally accommodate a bigger wheel better than the front, since the front has to turn. So if you are trying to put on the biggest tires/wheels you can, you can usually get a bigger wheel in the back than you can in the front without risking fender rub.

There are also (clearly) handling dynamics. Wider rear tires provide "more" grip on the back end, which means the front have less (comparatively speaking). This may result in more under-steer, but depending on overall vehicle dynamics that may not be bad, it may just be balancing a tendency to over-steer. So if a car is made/tuned for a staggered set-up, you will be changing the dynamics if you go square. That may (or may not) improve handling.

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
Way to over complicate a very simple statement. What does anyone with more power than available grip to to cheaply go faster? Wider rear tires and don't touch the front. Helps with 0-60 times, which drives marketing, which drives sales. Simple, cheap, inexpensive formula to get more sales. Just like the '18, better rubber = faster 0-60 times. Yes I know there are many more changes to the '18, but you cannot discount the impact the new PP tires have on performance numbers.

None of that is relevant to the PP2 package. If all that is what you care about then just get the base model and throw some drag radials on it. That is simple, not trying to justify staggered tires for straight line performance on the PP2 or any performance package.

CompOface

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP Comp Orange / Daily 2010 F-150 5.4L
None of that is relevant to the PP2 package. If all that is what you care about then just get the base model and throw some drag radials on it. That is simple, not trying to justify staggered tires for straight line performance on the PP2 or any performance package.
NoVaGT said "C'mon Ford, stop with the aesthetic choices to engineering issues. And search "under-steer" on Youtube." So I responded to why I think they chase this aesthetic. Why you keep "expanding" on my words instead of reading them for what they are is beyond me. I don't know why you have such a bug up your ass for my opinion, but keep picking my words apart to fit your view if that is what makes you happy. MY only reference to PP was that they put wider rear tires (wider than the rear tires they are replacing) on it to get lower 0-60 times (along with other changes and yes I know the rubber got better too not just larger than non PP).

Again, a cheap way to get better 0-60 times is to put wider tires in the rear than what is offered in a lower/less optioned package. This better 0 - 60 time equates to more marketing bragging rights and likely equates to more sales. If Ford went one step further with wider front tires, then the price would go up more and a $ you would spend from the factory to get the faster 0-60 car may not be justified. They are chasing profits, they do not care that PP or PP2 or whatever is not a true track focused car with a staggered setup, they care that this package looks like a value to the buying public.

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost

5ABI VT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
Bunch of 18s here at work everyday .. snapped a few here's one I liked ..

Sponsored

Last edited: