Sponsored

Official: 2018 Ford Mustang Refresh Detailed! (Options/Features, Specs, Photos, Info)

Brandon1017

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Competition Orange
It does make a lot of sense, because for one thing the average Mustang buyer is a lot closer to the average Joe than to someone on this forum. The vast majority of 15-17 owners don't know it's a 6th G, let alone that this website even exists.

I totally get that people prefer the 15-17 front over the 18 (I'm not sold on it myself). But what I don't get is the hyperbole. It's not different enough to warrant "awful" unless you already think the 15-17 is pretty bad. It is far less "different" than the 5th and 6th gen Camaro and there were plenty of complaints that the 6th was not different enough for the masses to even notice.
Isn't the idea to make the car look better than the previous version? Going backwards in terms of looks is not the goal. It's not that the car looks different , but you can't honestly say that the front looks better than the 2015-2017 that's a fact. I don't mean just the average joe. People do not just go to the dealership looking for a vehicle and walk away with a mustang gt! You do your research and you are in the market to buy the car way before going to the dealership to get one.

People on here comment that if they asked a family member or random person what the difference was they wouldn't know. Umm, okay...ask that same person the what difference is between their base civic and an SI and they probably wouldn't know either. Even Ford does not care about their opinion because they're not a potential buyer of the car. I also beg to differ that the average person buying a mustang is closer to the average joe, that might be the case for the v6 model, but there is absolutely no way that's the case for gt buyers!
Sponsored

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/black stripes
Isn't the idea to make the car look better than the previous version? Going backwards in terms of looks is not the goal. It's not that the car looks different , but you can't honestly say that the front looks better than the 2015-2017 that's a fact. I don't mean just the average joe. People do not just go to the dealership looking for a vehicle and walk away with a mustang gt! You do your research and you are in the market to buy the car way before going to the dealership to get one.

People on here comment that if they asked a family member or random person what the difference was they wouldn't know. Umm, okay...ask that same person the what difference is between their base civic and an SI and they probably wouldn't know either. Even Ford does not care about their opinion because they're not a potential buyer of the car. I also beg to differ that the average person buying a mustang is closer to the average joe, that might be the case for the v6 model, but there is absolutely no way that's the case for gt buyers!
Looks are highly subjective. On this forum there are plenty of people who like the 18 a lot. Again, I am personally ambivalent. I really like the lowering of the hood, but don't really care one way or the other about the rest.

The average Mustang (even GT) buyer does not go to cars and coffee, is not a member of Mustang Club of America, does not mod their car. There really are not enough enthusiasts out there to keep a car in production. Ford absolutely cares about the guy who doesn't know the difference, that's why they do things like put in a sound tube.

obgod3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT, PP1, 401A, A10
Comments like this make zero sense at all. Your average person on the road is not the same person that's a potential consumer of the car. The average person on the road views a vehicle specifically as a mode of transportation - nothing more, nothing less. The average person on the road also probably does not know the difference (looks wise or performance wise) between a v6 and a gt, so how would they know or even pay attention enough to notice the change?
I think your wrong about the average mustang consumer. You might look at the sales numbers and talk to your local dealer, you might be surprised. I know that 75% of people buying them from my brother are average folk that in most cases dont have any clue the differences between the models and thus no clue about the body style changes. They just want a Mustang.

Brandon1017

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Competition Orange
I think your wrong about the average mustang consumer. You might look at the sales numbers and talk to your local dealer, you might be surprised. I know that 75% of people buying them from my brother are average folk that in most cases dont have any clue the differences between the models and thus no clue about the body style changes. They just want a Mustang.
Again if you look at my comment I'm talking about gt owners and said that. It's obvious that the majority of their sales are not gt models. That's easily evident by fleet sales and by the amount of v6 and ecoboosts you see driving on the roads compared to gt. The majority of v6 owners are obviously not purchasing the car for performance, therefore they are not probably considered an enthusiast. However there are a ton of v6 owners that are enthusiasts. Once again Ford does not care about people that are not potential consumers.

Response to the other comment...you don't have to go to cars and coffee or post to a mustang forum to be considered an enthusiast, but there's a reason that cars like the mustang are the most highly modified cars compared to hondas, but I guess we are all "average joes" that don't care about looks

Last edited:

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/black stripes
Again if you look at my comment I'm talking about gt owners and said that. It's obvious that the majority of their sales are not gt models. That's easily evident by fleet sales and by the amount of v6 and ecoboosts you see driving on the roads compared to gt. The majority of v6 owners are obviously not purchasing the car for performance, therefore they are not probably considered an enthusiast. However there are a ton of v6 owners that are enthusiasts. Once again Ford does not care about people that are not potential consumers.

Response to the other comment...you don't have to go to cars and coffee or post to a mustang forum to be considered an enthusiast, but there's a reason that cars like the mustang are the most highly modified cars compared to hondas, but I guess we are all "average joes" that don't care about looks
Most modified means what, in percentage of sales? Maybe 5%, probably less.

Most modified does not equal most cars are modified. 5% of modified Mustangs would be 50% of BMW 2 series.

Sponsored

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Isn't the idea to make the car look better than the previous version? Going backwards in terms of looks is not the goal. It's not that the car looks different , but you can't honestly say that the front looks better than the 2015-2017 that's a fact. !

Err, that's not a fact at all.

Personally, I prefer the front of the '18. You prefer the front of the '15-'17. Which one of us is right? BOTH of us....as it's a personal opinion :)

MrWolf

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
MY2018 Magnetic Auto GT
Err, that's not a fact at all.

Personally, I prefer the front of the '18. You prefer the front of the '15-'17. Which one of us is right? BOTH of us....as it's a personal opinion :)
I like them both... they're both beautiful mustangs after all :headbang::headbang::headbang:

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 2SS (EU)
I like them both... they're both beautiful mustangs after all :headbang::headbang::headbang:
Exactly my thoughts. There are things I like on the 15 a bit more and there are thing I like on the 18 more. Especially the rearend of the 18 with quad tips with black diffusor is so much better than before :headbang:

Sponsored

PeterPerfect

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z3 2.8
They just want the Latest Mustang. There are so many real improvements on this 2018 version I'm looking forward to ordering one, my first ever Ford Mustang.

Regarding the look of the 2018 I find it simply looks more up to date than the 2015, however, I'm glad they have got rid of the odd plastic shape around the fog lights, that is something I would not have been happy with.

MrWolf

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
MY2018 Magnetic Auto GT
Exactly my thoughts. There are things I like on the 15 a bit more and there are thing I like on the 18 more. Especially the rearend of the 18 with quad tips with black diffusor is so much better than before :headbang:
My thoughts exactly... think I'm trapped in a loop

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Isn't the idea to make the car look better than the previous version? Going backwards in terms of looks is not the goal.
That's from your individual viewpoint, which isn't necessarily the same as mine or anybody else's. Your opinion isn't wrong . . . for you. But it could be for me.

I think you're tying yourself a little too close to this one single aspect of car design and development. So close that you can no longer see compromise or shades of grey. Only pass/fail and the black and white of like-it/love-it vs hate-it. The goodness (or not) of any given car is rarely as decisive as a heads-or-tails coin flip.

but you can't honestly say that the front looks better than the 2015-2017 that's a fact.
It certainly isn't a fact, any more than it'd be fact if I said the 18's look 10x better than the 2015's.

I'm not trying to flame here, just pointing out that opinions are most certainly NOT facts or universal truths. And FWIW I don't think the 18's look 10x better but they're nowhere near deal-breaker bad/worse either. A little better in some respects, a little less so in a couple of others, but close enough to 'a wash' for me at least for now

Norm

Arthonon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Isn't the idea to make the car look better than the previous version? Going backwards in terms of looks is not the goal. It's not that the car looks different , but you can't honestly say that the front looks better than the 2015-2017 that's a fact.
I own a '14 GT and would not have bought a '15-'17 based on the looks, and the '18 fixed most of what I didn't like about the '15-'17. There's a few things that I don't like about the '18, but less than I didn't like about the '15-'17, so overall I prefer the looks of the '18

airfuel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not a Bullitt
I know a lot of the bashing is just a sign of the times and people in general today on the internet stating their "opinion" , but let me ask you this:

Would you go up to an owner of a new "18 Mustang at say a cars and coffee and state "This new refresh is FUGLY" or "They really ruined the look of the Mustang" "it's a fact that this new car is ugly" or "do you honestly think it is better looking than last years model?"

Maybe just a nod and say nice Mustang...enjoy your new ride?
Might be I was just raised differently.

Sounds like sour grapes to me.
Sponsored