Sponsored

Official: 2018 Ford Mustang Refresh Detailed! (Options/Features, Specs, Photos, Info)

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
The hood vents certainly have a ton of room for dramatic aftermarket improvements. Imagine if that current bulge/fill the hole insert they currently used was removed and was replaced with deeper drop in vent. like the ones shown in the white hood below.;)
Great idea. I really hope those vents on the 18 are designed in a way that swapping drop in ones is easily doable. If so I think that's one big hurdle down for people on the fence about the 18s like myself.
Sponsored

Regs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2016 Echoboost
Less weight and more torque = faster car.

2.0 L =

• 275 hp @ 5600 rpm
  • 295 lb-ft of torque @ 3000-4500 rpm
V6 =

• 335 hp @ 6800 rpm
  • 284 lb-ft of torque @ 5300 rpm
3354LBS

The ecoboost is about 200-300 lbs heavier, but the stang has about 25 lb-ft more torque and about 35 more HP. I figured that would be more than plenty to make up for the added weight. I guess that 10 speed auto makes up for it in the 0-60 and 1/4 mile.

TheReaper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shadow Black GT
2.0 L =

• 275 hp @ 5600 rpm
  • 295 lb-ft of torque @ 3000-4500 rpm
V6 =

• 335 hp @ 6800 rpm
  • 284 lb-ft of torque @ 5300 rpm
3354LBS

The ecoboost is about 200-300 lbs heavier, but the stang has about 25 lb-ft more torque and about 35 more HP. I figured that would be more than plenty to make up for the added weight. I guess that 10 speed auto makes up for it in the 0-60 and 1/4 mile.
I kinda misread your post, I was thinking GT vs SS.:doh:

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
I kinda misread your post, I was thinking GT vs SS.:doh:
Your over simplify it. Gears are a torque multiplier. In most gears the GT and the SS are applying similar torque to the rear wheels. The 18 Mustang is combating the Camaros advantages with more power. A better transmission to make better use of more power. And hopefully the GT will lose a little weight. But I wouldn't hold my breath on that one.

Regs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2016 Echoboost
Your over simplify it. Gears are a torque multiplier. In most gears the GT and the SS are applying similar torque to the rear wheels. The 18 Mustang is combating the Camaros advantages with more power. A better transmission to make better use of more power. And hopefully the GT will lose a little weight. But I wouldn't hold my breath on that one.
Ah thank you!

Currently looking at the recent specs of a Camaro, their v8's are 6.2L compared to the GT 5.0 and yet have better gas millage. It's just shocking how it looks to be out classing the GT on paper. This is why I hope to see some impressive gains in terms of HP/RPM/ and gas millage in the 2018 GT. The transmission change alone has got me excited. If good enough, I will trade in my Eco instead of flushing money into mods that might blow my engine before 60k.

I also mistook the Camaro for having a 10 speed, but it's 8 speed.

Sponsored

Zeke.Malvo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969 Mach1
Ah thank you!

Currently looking at the recent specs of a Camaro, their v8's are 6.2L compared to the GT 5.0 and yet have better gas millage. It's just shocking how it looks to be out classing the GT on paper. This is why I hope to see some impressive gains in terms of HP/RPM/ and gas millage in the 2018 GT. The transmission change alone has got me excited. If good enough, I will trade in my Eco instead of flushing money into mods that might blow my engine before 60k.

I also mistook the Camaro for having a 10 speed, but it's 8 speed.
The 8 speed is geared better than Ford's current 6 speed auto. The camaro makes a good 25-30 rwhp and 50 rwtq more. That, and 80 lbs or so weight advantage. I think it's going to be too much for the mustang to overcome. The 10 speed will help a little, but I expect only around 1 mpg more. The 10 spd didn't add much to the F150 in terms of mpg.

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/black stripes
Gas mileage is virtually identical (within 1). You will see far more variability than that just based on how you drive or what the outside air temperature is. Certainly on paper the Camaro 1SS with the 1LE package looks really good. A couple grand more than a premium+performance pack but comes standard with Reccaro's and Magneride. Of course you have to deal with the visibility and accept the looks (which I don't think is horrible, just not for me). I'm hoping the 2018 Mustang ups the game to at least parity.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Im expecting it to equal the Camaros performance.

Syphon23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Corvette
Im expecting it to equal the Camaros performance.
I hope it does. Ford should shoot to be a head of it but they prob wont. :frusty:

Id hope to see 465hp out of it. And maybe lose 50lbs.

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/black stripes
I'm hoping for an overall package that equals or betters the 1LE at equal or lower price. That is a pretty sweet package if you can get past the fact that it's in a Camaro.

Yea, I know, Mustang's have been outselling the Camaro and it has been argued that Ford doesn't "need" to beat Chevy to keep winning in sales. However, that is the attitude that will in the end result in losing sales. The automotive industry is very competitive and buyers are fickle. Ford knows the 1LE exists and has to be targeting it.

I'm not a Camaro hater, but they just don't do it for me.

Sponsored

Syphon23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Corvette
I'm hoping for an overall package that equals or betters the 1LE at equal or lower price. That is a pretty sweet package if you can get past the fact that it's in a Camaro.

Yea, I know, Mustang's have been outselling the Camaro and it has been argued that Ford doesn't "need" to beat Chevy to keep winning in sales. However, that is the attitude that will in the end result in losing sales. The automotive industry is very competitive and buyers are fickle. Ford knows the 1LE exists and has to be targeting it.

I'm not a Camaro hater, but they just don't do it for me.
Isnt there a performance pack "2" coming out for the 18MY? Hope its the 1LE killer.

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 2SS (EU)
Here's a very short video of the export model shown in Shanghai:

[ame]

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd base
I agree with the folks predicting the Mustang to match the Camaro with the refresh...but with a heavier platform and a huge displacement disadvantage, I bet that we will be looking at a repeat when the impending 2019(?) Camaro refresh comes along. A small power bump will have the Ford looking up the Chevy's tailpipes once again.

:(

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
I agree with the folks predicting the Mustang to match the Camaro with the refresh...but with a heavier platform and a huge displacement disadvantage, I bet that we will be looking at a repeat when the impending 2019(?) Camaro refresh comes along. A small power bump will have the Ford looking up the Chevy's tailpipes once again.

:(
Yeah, with the new 2019 Camaro spy shots, articles are talking about it getting more power too. This is why before I wasn't expecting more than 465 from the Mustang, but now I believe some of the rumors that it could be 470+ so as to not be immediately outgunned by the Camaro again.

Spencer00si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 f150
i personally like the looks of the 2018 over the 2015-2017. The only thing i dont care for is the rear spoiler on the 18. The new front looks less bulky and more sleek to me. I was thinking of getting a 2017 gt pp since they can be bought for $29k new. But i think i will wait to see what the new hp and tq will be. If its only 20hp I will save my $8k and buy a 2017.
Sponsored