Sponsored

Official: 2018 Ford Mustang Refresh Detailed! (Options/Features, Specs, Photos, Info)

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
seriously...I mean who enjoys lots of hard cheap plastic, that center console!! ouch !!, a thin steering wheel with inferior cheap leather, shiny bright chrome trim pieces and bezels throughout, a cheap plastic start button...
I agree on the stuff that interferes with the driving function - the shiny interior trim (I scuffed it down to 'satin' on my '08) and maybe the console (if it gets in the way of shifting - mine doesn't).

But I really don't think a Mustang needs to chase the sort of luxury appointments that more properly belong on your grandfather's Buicks, Oldsmobiles, and Cadillacs. Or should to any great extent. Too pretentious with no functional up-side.

Yup, we'll have to wait and see about those other items.

Norm
Sponsored

jcart953

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang Premium
That was really the point of my posts. I don't think the '15 is ugly, but I think it had a few things that I didn't care for. It's a subtle distinction, but saying you don't like something is different than saying it's ugly, because saying it's ugly implies a universal state, and it's insulting to people who do like it.

It just gets old when the same people constantly come in and say that it's ugly, like there's no room for discussion about it. It's just opinion, and I'm sure calling their car ugly wouldn't change their opinion on it, so what's the point of even saying that? It's just an opinion, and one with which they disagree. Arguing about it is pointless, and constantly expressing that opinion is just as pointless. I get it, they don't like the '18, but I don't think we need to hear it over and over again.
lol it is ugly but seriously it's a forum and you'll get all sorts of opinions so long as long as it's active.

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
Well, I would say that's just your opinion. It could just as easily be argued that the '15 was the best they could do at the time, and the '18 is when they got to fix all the problems they couldn't during the original development, or apply improvements that weren't available when designing the '15. Unless you're on the Ford design team, you don't know. I think most people found the changes made in the '10+ S197s improved their looks, and it wasn't a complete redesign either, so I think the argument that it wasn't all designed at once doesn't really mean much.

And in my eyes, and many others, the '15 had design flaws making it an ugly car. Problems that the '18 fixes. Makeup and clothes and a haircut can only do so much to improve the looks, but luckily they did more than that with the '18 and made it better looking than the '15 ;)
There's a Ford video on the making of the GT350 and they even say in it that the 350 was the continuation of the design and they got to fix some things they didn't like on S550.

It's why the '18 has the lower hood/sloping hood which comes from the lower hood on the GT350.

Also from the focus groups the big complaints were long hood, couldn't see over hood, feeling like looking uphill when accelerating and the front looked like a Fusion.

In all terms, the '18 has the upgrades that the '15 should have had. A better auto transmission (Camaro had a new one in their next gen, Dodge was already at an 8 speed), better tech all around and better suspension/packages.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
There's a Ford video on the making of the GT350 and they even say in it that the 350 was the continuation of the design and they got to fix some things they didn't like on S550.

It's why the '18 has the lower hood/sloping hood which comes from the lower hood on the GT350.

Also from the focus groups the big complaints were long hood, couldn't see over hood, feeling like looking uphill when accelerating and the front looked like a Fusion.

In all terms, the '18 has the upgrades that the '15 should have had. A better auto transmission (Camaro had a new one in their next gen, Dodge was already at an 8 speed), better tech all around and better suspension/packages.
The '15 sold like hotcakes. I'd say Ford did exactly what they set out to do. The 18 upgrades are natural evolutionary items. These are not things Ford "should have done" on the '15, but rather items Ford tried to improve upon based off of both customer (and potential customer) feedback. The two being the improved hood sight-lines and internal materials. These aren't fixes, these are improvements. Ford is trying to maintain sales until the S650 release, so continuous improvements are to be expected.

All Ford really had to do was make the 18 look like the GT350 and all of us would be praising it. The tweaks to the front end are off-putting to many of us, not because we perceive a newer design as threatening, but because we truly think it looks like ass compared to the 15.

thet33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT/6MT/3.55

I took part in an S550 focus group in Dallas and the hood wasn't brought up once. I know that's just one group but if it's a BIG complaint I'd think at least one person would have mentioned it.

Sponsored

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
I took part in an S550 focus group in Dallas and the hood wasn't brought up once. I know that's just one group but if it's a BIG complaint I'd think at least one person would have mentioned it.
I'm just telling you what the Ford marketing rep said last year at the auto show when asking him about the '18 (before it was released). When I mentioned the front fascia, he mentioned they know it looks like a Fusion complaint & said that the hood was being addressed. For once one of them knew something lol.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
I'm just telling you what the Ford marketing rep said last year at the auto show when asking him about the '18 (before it was released). When I mentioned the front fascia, he mentioned they know it looks like a Fusion complaint & said that the hood was being addressed. For once one of them knew something lol.
What I think is funny is that there is a perceived complaint that the mustang looks like the fusion. Why is it that upper trim BMW owners aren't complaining the same way?

IMHO, it's not a bad thing that there are similar design cues. They are both good looking vehicles.

foghat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
Interesting. The hood would have been the first thing I brought up.

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
What I think is funny is that there is a perceived complaint that the mustang looks like the fusion. Why is it that upper trim BMW owners aren't complaining the same way?

IMHO, it's not a bad thing that there are similar design cues. They are both good looking vehicles.
I think it's because the Mustang is it's own brand within Ford & is Ford's sports car to the masses (other then GT which is hundreds of thousands of dollars). Also the Mustang is the only non-performance model to not share the Ford branding like the rest of the models (no Ford badge on front/back). It has the hidden Ford logo across the top window. So for many, the Mustang should have it's own 'look' for the design language in the front considering it's the model that doesn't share the norm within Ford. It's sorta like everything else is a Ford & then there is the Mustang.

BMW/Audis are luxury brands & their design language has always shared looks across lowest to highest models since it's a German thing. Audi differentiates their looks by their headlights designs per model which are to them the 'eyes' of the car. Though that has fallen off some in recent years.

Ford/Chevy/GM cars until recently have been all across the spectrum different looks, designs, etc with their cars...there is no cohesiveness until recently and especially with platforms being shared more and European design being brought over into now what's the norm of what buyers expect. BUT now that they've started, it's something that has to get accustomed to for many.

I'm fine with the Fiesta ---> Focus ---> Fusion - Taurus (though Taurus now needs an "F" name lol...Faurus) sharing looks up the trim levels in price.

Same with Escape ---> Edge ----> Explorer ----> Expedition....again, they should share design language because again they are going up the trim level.

I think that's a good thing to have that design language with these types of models because they are an evolution of size/platform.

The Mustang is it's own beast. It stands alone within the Ford brand. It should have it's own look.

thet33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Understood. Not doubting you at all. It was just interesting my experience/group focused on other things. Guess that's why they have multiple focus groups.

Sponsored

GTRacerX.

The Masked Racer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rex
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT Premium PP
Mods on a 2015-2017 Ford Mustang GT

Modding our cars is half the fun, the other half is driving them fast and looking good too. Heck the fusion argument I understand but just go out and buy a roush front fascia and get a Anderson Composites Hood and your done man. :cheers:

Now tell me this car does not look bad ass. :thumbsup:

Oh yeah for all those that hate the 2018 Front Fascia I bet Roush or Cervinis will have a fix for that too. ;)

The whole interior upgrades and tech is nice on the 2018 but heck its not going to make the car any faster. More interested in the motor specs and pricing.
Also all the chassis, suspension, tires, wheels and exhaust upgrades !

:ford:
24142672559_7618b42bf6_b.jpg

Last edited:

c-rizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Explorer Sport
All Ford really had to do was make the 18 look like the GT350 and all of us would be praising it. The tweaks to the front end are off-putting to many of us, not because we perceive a newer design as threatening, but because we truly think it looks like ass compared to the 15.
Yep. :cheers:

2018-19 is a short run EOL product like the 13-14, so I thought that's what they were going to do. The way the 13-14's (end of S197 production) basically used the previous years GT500 fascia though slightly different.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
The '18 front end looks gorgeous, way better than the 15-17 cars. It's a big improvement.

I can't believe we still have no solid information of the performance side of things.

Reactions: 00

thet33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The '18 front end looks gorgeous, way better than the 15-17 cars. It's a big improvement.

I can't believe we still have no solid information of the performance side of things.

:lol: You're a couple days late for April Fools

:)

CompOface

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP Comp Orange / Daily 2010 F-150 5.4L
I really don't get the long hood/hard to see over as a negative. It is a muscle car! I have been fortunate enough to drive a small selection old school muscle cars, and sit in plenty more and guess what... they all have a long and tall hood that are hard to see over. The long hood is there to tell people you need the space for what makes the car a Mustang, the engine (and because well, who doesn't like to look at all that hood)! You knew you were buying a muscle car, but you hate that it looks like, drives like, and acts like a muscle car... weird.

I just can't get on board with the looks of the 2018, although I haven't seen it in person and holding my final judgement until I can. Until then, I'll take my muscle car like sight lines and keep enjoying the car for what it is!
Sponsored