Sponsored

Official 2.3L Ecoboost Thread

mustanghobo

Threads
Reaction score
I'm just curious, but has anyone assumed what the estimated cost of tuning the ecoboost to match the GT's output would be, or if it would end up costing a lot more than a GT?

I know with the ecoboost flex you could flash it and get instant HP/TQ increases.
Sponsored

Gmxblazer

Threads
Reaction score
I'm just curious, but has anyone assumed what the estimated cost of tuning the ecoboost to match the GT's output would be, or if it would end up costing a lot more than a GT?

I know with the ecoboost flex you could flash it and get instant HP/TQ increases.
I'll guesstimate and say 4k-5k tops. Would be the price of bigger turbo,intercooler, and tuning

mustanghobo

Threads
Reaction score
Does anyone else have any concern or hesitation about this ecoboost just based on the fact that its unproven? By unproven I mean, im the kind of person whos going to do my due diligence when making large purchase. Ill read reviews and get a general concensus before leaping in and making a choice. At this point in the game, Ford hasnt allowed anyone to drive the car aside from a few test runs in the passenger seat. With the 5.0 a proven beast, would anyone else here be reserved and cautious on the 2.3, or do we trust Ford on this one and go for it?

Please all opinions help?
I would trust them, if I'm not mistaken this 2.3 engine is very similar to the mazdaspeed 3 2.3 disi engine, only newer and improved.

Gmxblazer

Threads
Reaction score
I would trust them, if I'm not mistaken this 2.3 engine is very similar to the mazdaspeed 3 2.3 disi engine, only newer and improved.
This is not true it's based off the 2.0 ecoboost.... But I wouldn't be worried about reliability the 2.0 ecoboost has proven true to power and reliability.
Ford hasn't let anyone drive their "proven beast" either yet. Which had the cylinder issue from the get go when tuned improperly would bust a cylinder.

You will have a warranty and the first 6 months of production someone will push the envelope find the limits of the ecoboost and we can learn from their mistake. I have confidence this engine will not disappoint anyone. Ford isn't just putting any old ecoboost in this mustang but one specifically tuned and designed for it.

RoryTate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB
Code:
<facetious>All I did was turn the boost controller up to 25psi...</facetious>

Sponsored

apexclipper

Threads
Reaction score
Gonna be hard to really make big power with this 2.3 motor.
Well in real terms (SAE net), it's going to make more power than an absolutely production line stock '69-'70 428 CJ. Most people can't handle more than that (mid 14s @ 100 MPH or so).

And the 6 speed manual Ecoboost performance package will be quicker...

likeaboss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Corvette Z51
Well in real terms (SAE net), it's going to make more power than an absolutely production line stock '69-'70 428 CJ. Most people can't handle more than that (mid 14s @ 100 MPH or so).

And the 6 speed manual Ecoboost performance package will be quicker...
I'll bet the Ecoboost gets into the mid 13's stock.

apexclipper

Threads
Reaction score
I'll bet the Ecoboost gets into the mid 13's stock.
The result I provided was representative of a production line stock, '69 - '70 428 CJ Mustang.

The Ecoboost will get into the 13s for sure.

13.7 @ 104 MPH is probably a good estimate.

GMAN6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Focus
The result I provided was representative of a production line stock, '69 - '70 428 CJ Mustang.

The Ecoboost will get into the 13s for sure.

13.7 @ 104 MPH is probably a good estimate.
I ran 13.6 bone stock in my manual 03 Mach1 which had 320HP.
I'm not sure about the weight of the Mach1 but it shouldn't have been lighter than the EB will be.

Add to the fact that the EB has other advantages.:
Broader torque curve
Automatic trans that will probably shift faster

It should go 13's and I think most likely Mid 13's.

apexclipper

Threads
Reaction score
I ran 13.6 bone stock in my manual 03 Mach1 which had 320HP.
I'm not sure about the weight of the Mach1 but it shouldn't have been lighter than the EB will be.

Add to the fact that the EB has other advantages.:
Broader torque curve
Automatic trans that will probably shift faster

It should go 13's and I think most likely Mid 13's.
Maybe.

We'll have to see.

Some V6s have run upper 13s bone stock, so it's possible for sure.

Sponsored

Rob WH

Gettin' old
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
1987 LX coupe(and others), 14 Escape
The current V6 has run 13.8's in stock form. The turbo 4 wastes little time spooling and weighs in around the same, probably slightly less(40ish lb on engine alone). The problem, which it will be to a degree, will show up in LAUNCH capability. The standard current Mustang suspension is awesome for drag racing and particularly good as compared to most cars. The new car has IRS and that's heavier, more compliant to motion and publicly untested.

That said, I'd expect the 2.3L with performance package to run in the 13.7 range with an automatic. I don't expect to see the same from manuals because they're simply not as good. They may run quicker still, but I wouldn't expect to see it right away. Once tuned, these cars will likely see low 13's The aftermarket will be enormous for the new Mustang.

Oh, and I'd expect a higher than normal V6 MPH with these 2.3L cars, relative their ET's. Turbo cars tend to really look best on the top end.

apexclipper

Threads
Reaction score
The current V6 has run 13.8's in stock form. The turbo 4 wastes little time spooling and weighs in around the same, probably slightly less(40ish lb on engine alone). The problem, which it will be to a degree, will show up in LAUNCH capability. The standard current Mustang suspension is awesome for drag racing and particularly good as compared to most cars. The new car has IRS and that's heavier, more compliant to motion and publicly untested.

That said, I'd expect the 2.3L with performance package to run in the 13.7 range with an automatic. I don't expect to see the same from manuals because they're simply not as good. They may run quicker still, but I wouldn't expect to see it right away. Once tuned, these cars will likely see low 13's The aftermarket will be enormous for the new Mustang.

Oh, and I'd expect a higher than normal V6 MPH with these 2.3L cars, relative their ET's. Turbo cars tend to really look best on the top end.
Other V6s haven't been able to get out of the 14s.

The IRS set-up is lighter than the solid axle in this application - in part due to the IRS's use of aluminum H arms.

I'm sure the Ecoboost 6 speed performance package will be a 13 second car, though we'll have to see.

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
Other V6s haven't been able to get out of the 14s.

The IRS set-up is lighter than the solid axle in this application - in part due to the IRS's use of aluminum H arms.

I'm sure the Ecoboost 6 speed performance package will be a 13 second car, though we'll have to see.

Also the center diff case is aluminum in the 4 and 6-cylinder models.

DonLafond

1 Happy Mustang Owner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
How did the Official 2.3L Ecoboost thread turn into a Drag Racing forum? :threadjacked:

I doubt if anyone is going to drag the EB4. Wouldn't this conversation be better moved to the GT 5.0 thread? :rant: