Sponsored

Official 2.3L Ecoboost Thread

Whiskey11

Kill ALL the Cones!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red Base GT/PP
I think you are over-estimating the situation. This engine is built tough, but the ecu is locked down, ford will release upgrades.

additionally, it's not a single turbo either... it is a twin-scroll turbo. Boost & response are two different things.
You should probably go look up what "Twin-Scroll Turbo" means... it's a single turbo...

As for the 2.3L being an autocross dream car, I agree, but it wont be because of the power. In fact, ST autocross cars with boost can't directly command more boost through the ECU. The only boost changes I can get have to be the result of other legal changes like exhaust changes. I can't actually command the ECU to allow more boost. I wont be able to run E85 in ST either... I could in SP, as well as command more boost but to be honest, power isn't everything if you can't use it.

Like my 2009 Mustang GT, I'll probably end up leaving the powertrain stock. The 90% of torque available from 2000 RPM till redline is going to be epic on tighter courses.
Sponsored

SVTFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Wimbledon white LE #275 A6
Misinformation is already spreading rampant by people who think they are turbo experts and know the nomenclature and how to read compressor maps and just have years and years of racing experience in boosted 4 bangers (see your local riced out civics with fake carbon fiber hoods).

I'm a little afraid of the customers the EB will draw in.

You want power, boost the 5.0.

Whiskey11

Kill ALL the Cones!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red Base GT/PP
Misinformation is already spreading rampant by people who think they are turbo experts and know the nomenclature and how to read compressor maps and just have years and years of racing experience in boosted 4 bangers (see your local riced out civics with fake carbon fiber hoods).

I'm a little afraid of the customers the EB will draw in.

You want power, boost the 5.0.
Why be afraid? Why not take these people in and educate them properly instead of turning them away? If your goal is to keep a car, or the car culture alive, then shouldn't you be spending time educating these people so they hang around and want more? Ever wondered why my posts are usually pretty long? You should see my posts on S197 Forum or Modded Mustang's 05-10/11-14 sections... they are rarely shorter than two paragraphs.

Gmxblazer

Threads
Reaction score
The 2.3 will definitely have potential. Let's be honest, people are complaining about 6% from a tune on the 1.6T. While that may not be a ton on a 197hp motor, 6% is 20hp on a 315hp motor. For ~$300-$400 20hp is cheap. That's exactly what a 2005-2009 GT got from a tune. .
That is not correct the 6% is with 93 octane and fully tuned out. The 91 octane is 3-4%. That is what i am saying if all i can gain with a retune is 9-12hp on a turbocharged car I will be disapointed. Very disapointed.

Sponsored

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
You should probably go look up what "Twin-Scroll Turbo" means... it's a single turbo...

As for the 2.3L being an autocross dream car, I agree, but it wont be because of the power. In fact, ST autocross cars with boost can't directly command more boost through the ECU. The only boost changes I can get have to be the result of other legal changes like exhaust changes. I can't actually command the ECU to allow more boost. I wont be able to run E85 in ST either... I could in SP, as well as command more boost but to be honest, power isn't everything if you can't use it.

Like my 2009 Mustang GT, I'll probably end up leaving the powertrain stock. The 90% of torque available from 2000 RPM till redline is going to be epic on tighter courses.

You should probably not assume things, it makes you look dERPTy.

I own a BMW 135is, a twin-scroll N55 engine. As opposed to the bi-turbo N54 engine in the earlier BMW 135i's. (Hope you are familiar with both.. they are legendary.) Point was, when you utilize twin-scroll tech, you also need robust engine management, thus updated tech. It is that updated tech, that backyard mechanics can't touch. (nominal gains at best.)

You just failed to understand the importance of the word twin-scroll.. over the mechanics of a single turbo motor (single scroll), as the engine's exhaust pulses and response becomes a much more part of what the engine is... & does. So does the plumbing and over-all sophistication.

Performance upgrades..?
SVT will make parts for their EcoBoost engines.. soft gains via hacks are just chrome tips, nothing more.

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
The manifold design is already incorporated into the head of the 2.3EB so its already designed for a twin scroll. ECU tuning a ts application isn't really different from a single.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
The manifold design is already incorporated into the head of the 2.3EB so its already designed for a twin scroll. ECU tuning a ts application isn't really different from a single.
New toolsets are needed, more things to dynamically map.
What you can do (in terms of powerband mapping), is multiplied with twin scroll, over single scroll... you have to utilize the exhaust & intake much more PRESCISELY. (that is why ford incorporated them into the head design)

But for tuning, twin-scroll has more input/outputs & takes more to learn... but most will never get the chance, as the ECu will probably be locked up.

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
The pulses are matched in the design of the head, and what is required to tune is the same in terms of load v rpm as a single except a ts is more responsive and obviously needs to be tuned according to its properties -which is no different in terms of what you need to do work wise for a single. There isn't black magic or a moving target in tuning a ts.

There are companies like ESS that tune twin scroll BMWs which typically have harder ecus to crack than fords.

Whiskey11

Kill ALL the Cones!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red Base GT/PP
You should probably not assume things, it makes you look dERPTy.

You just failed to understand the importance of the word twin-scroll.. over the mechanics of a single turbo motor (single scroll), as the engine's exhaust pulses and response becomes a much more part of what the engine is... & does. So does the plumbing and over-all sophistication.
I fully understand the difference between twin scroll and single scroll turbo's but that isn't what you said.

Maybe I'm just being nitpicky but your statement:
"it's not a single turbo either... it is a twin-scroll turbo"

Implies to me that a twin scroll turbo is not a single turbo (ie: it is multiple turbo's) when it actually IS a single turbo, it's just not a single scroll turbo. It's one hot side, one cold side, therefor it is a single twin scroll turbo.

Sponsored

86GT

Threads
Reaction score
But for tuning, twin-scroll has more input/outputs & takes more to learn... but most will never get the chance, as the ECu will probably be locked up.
So what? ECUs are always locked up. People crack them. There are tuners for every company that specialize in exactly that. The BMW motors have twin-scroll turbos and Cobb has tunes out for them. I don't see why this would be any different whatsoever, especially since Cobb has started tuning Ford's recently.

Gmxblazer

Threads
Reaction score
So what? ECUs are always locked up. People crack them. There are tuners for every company that specialize in exactly that. The BMW motors have twin-scroll turbos and Cobb has tunes out for them. I don't see why this would be any different whatsoever, especially since Cobb has started tuning Ford's recently.
You are correct I had a wrx with a VF-37 twin scroll turbo. I had it tuned and it just added a little dynamic to tuning but nothing that would stop a tuner in its tracks.

MustangWill

Threads
Reaction score
I wonder if Hennessey is going to do some tuning on the 2.3 EB, they did pretty good on the SHO cars

Gmxblazer

Threads
Reaction score
I wonder if Hennessey is going to do some tuning on the 2.3 EB, they did pretty good on the SHO cars
There's nothing hennessey did that you couldn't do on your own for far less. Like for example livernois stage 4+ on the ecoboost would put 5.0s on in their place. There will be a lot of tuning companies and such for this mustang assuming the ecu can be cracked without fords approval.

Josh Painter

Threads
Reaction score
Website
the-12th-fan.com
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ford Fusion SEL