Sponsored

Off the topic: Should I buy a lawyer for speeding ticket?

rollingshi59

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Base A10
Good morning guys, I need some advice for the speeding ticket I recently got. Sorry for the off topic question.

I got a speeding ticket over 27 mph 97 in 70 zone and I was charged $887 for the ticket. Should I hire a lawyer for this? I think its a super speed, but it shows just speed in the ticket. I was quoted $360 from the off the record app for a lawyer.

I have never received this high amount of fine so I am not sure if getting a lawyer is worth it. I got a ticket in GA and my residency is AL.

Any inputs appreciated my friends!
Sponsored

BMAGOO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS, 2016 Explorer Sport, 2015 Ram 1500 Sport, 1968 Firebird
Vehicle Showcase
Cut your losses at $887.

OP
OP

rollingshi59

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Base A10
Thank you all I guess hiring a lawyer is not worth it.

Do yall think its worth attending court tho?

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
Thank you all I guess hiring a lawyer is not worth it.

Do yall think its worth attending court tho?
I wouldn't if it isn't required. Lots of states really come down hard on out-of-state speeders. Odds are, they aren't going to do you any favors.

Sponsored

OP
OP

rollingshi59

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Base A10
maybe, depends how far a drive. you could plead for a lesser charge / speed. ive seen it done, but you are guilty, they aren't letting you off. I don't know how out of staters get treated really, because you can't really ask for defensive driving courses because you don't live there. idk

I honestly, (myself) id get a lawyer to try and get it tossed. they are in cahoots with each other its all a money making scheme, the lawyer pays the courts an amount, they get paid an amount, everyone wins, id pay a grand to keep my rates non impacted. you are out 887 as of now, find out how much lawyer is.
Thought you were saying its not worth to hire a lawyers. Its about 1.5 hr drive and I was quoted $360 for the lawyer.

El_Centenario

5L V8PWR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang GT Triple Yellow
If possible I would definitely try to go to court and own up to your mistake. Tell the judge you fucked up and hopefully the judge sees you're a responsible adult and has leniency on you. We all know the consequences when we decide to "let loose". Good luck :thumbsup:

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
Thought you were saying its not worth to hire a lawyers. Its about 1.5 hr drive and I was quoted $360 for the lawyer.
Was it a ticket from the state patrol or a local jurisdiction? State tickets are pretty much cast in concrete. Local jurisdiction tickets can be open to bargaining to save points. But, that typically means you are willing to pay more to protect you points. When you go to court, they often have you speak to the clerk of court or other official first. If you don't want to accept a deal, then they will schedule a court date, so you have to come back again. I have never seen a case where a lawyer helped an out-of-state speeding ticket. But, I haven't been caught speeding in all of the states, just more than I care to recall. I was on Wisconsin's habitual offenders list for many years. So, I have more experience in traffic courts than most.

fast306stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 M1HP6MT
I got a ticket for 90/70 in Forsyth, GA.

Fine was $360, plus $200 Super Speeder. The Super Speeder fine is an additional charge from the state over the $360. I'm a GA resident. I used a lawyer, the fee was $750, the fine was reduced to $300, no court costs (which could have been $150) and I don't have to pay the Super Speeder fine. Also, it doesn't go on my record, which was a big concern for me.

PM me if you want any details. Obviously YMMV, but I literally just mailed off my Money Order to pay the fine yesterday.

Mghoward74

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
S550
Get the lawyer. If Your fined can be reduce, that’s great. If you get a lesser conviction, that’s great too. It’ll keep your insurance down in the long run.

Sponsored

kiksbutt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
You really need to find a lawyer that specializes with the court that you're assigned to so they can make a deal with prosecutor. Unless you got hit with reckless driving, speeding itself would not be warranted unless you have no points. Good lawyer will charge you about $500 plus the ticket and court fees will set you another $300 to a different charge. So you're still back at the same starting point.

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
Just pay the fine. You got caught. It's price to pay when you're breaking the rules. This message is from my dad years ago.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
I got a ticket for 90/70 in Forsyth, GA.

Fine was $360, plus $200 Super Speeder. The Super Speeder fine is an additional charge from the state over the $360. I'm a GA resident. I used a lawyer, the fee was $750, the fine was reduced to $300, no court costs (which could have been $150) and I don't have to pay the Super Speeder fine. Also, it doesn't go on my record, which was a big concern for me.

PM me if you want any details. Obviously YMMV, but I literally just mailed off my Money Order to pay the fine yesterday.
Do this now. GA is a bitch on out of staters.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Lots of times a lawyer will make a deal with the prosecutor to get it knocked down from a moving violation to a non moving. So no points and no insurance hit. You pay the same fine plus you pay the lawyer.

27 over is reckless in most jurisdictions and most insurance companies will jack your rates accordingly.

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
if it wasn't for me getting that deferral I would of had a ticket on my record (clean record otherwise) its not right for me to swindle like I did, but damn. I didn't want the increase in rates
It's a tough thing. I LOVE going to Mexico when opportunity is there but if rules are broken, we should be held accountable. Freeways and such are not only speed traps but ever more dangerous as the less skilled share the roads with us. I try to avoid the busy roads in favor of a longer more enjoyable and most importantly less stressful commute. I've had some "BS" tickets before but the fact remained I broke the rules. Had a near $600 fine for speeding in a construction zone on a freeway and I gassed it to avoid being side swiped and/or rear ended as the lane was ending. Context rarely matters once you're pulled over. OP was going much faster than the limit and got caught, fine should be payed.
Sponsored