OEM Ford rear spoilers

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
What do you guys think abou the APR GTC-200 wing? It's getting popular on this car; see them quite a bit. How would that one factor in?

https://aprperformance.com/racing-product/gtc-200-adjustable-wings/
It is functional especially if you add the Archetype end plates. But it’s very minimal DF that I don’t think would require much of anything up front (could be wrong). Look at AJ’s video and the chart on APR it seems as though the R spoiler and the GTC are similar at 100mph.
Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I appreciate all the input. I have one comment, on 2015, and 2016 non-R, cars w/o the track pack option, which had a very short blade rear spoiler, however, Ford did nothing to the front air dam whether it was a track pack or non-track pack car. And the same front air dam was carried over to the 2017 non "R" cars. Guess Ford felt that the cars were balanced with either rear spoiler used, or did not care. That's not saying much for the stock rear spoiler on my car.
Yes when you look at the early tech pack cars, they are built like Ford was thinking no one would ever drive them on track. The most track capable Mustang ever - yeah right.

Mr. Maboomba

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350, 2019 X5 50i, 2019 Ram 2500
@Mr. Maboomba recently looked through all the wings and put a 350R wing on his base 350. He might be able share the details he found.
It's not clear what the facts are. Ford says the R wing produces more downforce (300 lbs at 120 mph) than the swing (135 lbs) or swing + Gurney flap (238 lbs). AJ's wind tunnel test says that the R wing doesn't do much of anything, according to the video @Biggsy posted, but I don't think that was done at 120 mph. (I'm not sure it was disclosed what airspeed was used but @ajhartman can share if he remembers.)

The GT500 CFTP wing produces 550 lbs at 180 mph, which is not a comparable number to the ones quoted above, since the aero forces at 180 mph are much greater than at 120 mph.

It would be great to see AJ test a CFTP wing, R wing and swing + Gurney back to back on the same car under the same conditions. Until that happens, I will stick with the Ford numbers, and an R wing on my car.

1659310221142.png

And p.s. @ajhartman if you make a Gurney flap for the R wing, let me know! I would consider buying one, especially if it could be removed easily for the street. I imagine the big challenge would be how to attach it without asking people to drill screws into their carbon fiber…

Last edited:

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
AJ's wind tunnel test says that the R wing doesn't do much of anything, according to the video @Biggsy posted, but I don't think that was done at 120 mph.
It said 124 at 100mph

C6BD4BDA-0205-4215-A0AD-6E11C335B426.jpeg

ajhartman

Threads
Reaction score
Website
ajhartmanaero.com
Vehicle(s)
99 GT and 2016 GT350
I always use 100mph for congruence among any of my own posted numbers and its a good speed for generally a faster turn that is achievable. But there isn't an industry standard. And since Df increases at the square of speed, the Df generally doubles at only 50% more speed. Fortunately I have data from many air speeds and at 120mph the R wing gave me 179lbs of Df. So I'm not exactly sure how Ford ran their test to advertise 300lbs, but ours wasn't anywhere near that number on a car in a full size wind tunnel. It is an Anderson nock off but I can't imagine the profile being so far off that its 120lbs of Df shy of Fords number. I also can't see a rolling floor making that much difference on a wing and over body flow. Last thing to note is that the CFD data we got on our wings on an S550 and wind tunnel data were very close. This leads me to believe there weren't any anomalies going on with the data we got.

Sponsored

ajhartman

Threads
Reaction score
Website
ajhartmanaero.com
Vehicle(s)
99 GT and 2016 GT350
It would be great to see AJ test a CFTP wing, R wing and swing + Gurney back to back on the same car under the same conditions. Until that happens, I will stick with the Ford numbers, and an R wing on my car.

And p.s. @ajhartman if you make a Gurney flap for the R wing, let me know! I would consider buying one, especially if it could be removed easily for the street. I imagine the big challenge would be how to attach it without asking people to drill screws into their carbon fiber…
I will be taking my car to the tunnel again (probably a few times). If I could get a few people to let me test their stuff I would absolutely test them all. Its only 4 bolts to swap a trunk which is much easier than swapping wings/spoilers. That just means people would need to entrust me with their trunks and their car won't have a trunk for a bit of time.

As for the gurney for the R wing, I'll definitely makes posts of it if I tackle that project. Absolutely no way to make it easily removable without drilling your wing. It would just be a stick on option. I also need to confirm how close the Anderson wing is to a factory R wing cause if the curve is different, that means double the molds to make and need to get my hands on a factory wing.

Mr. Maboomba

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350, 2019 X5 50i, 2019 Ram 2500
So I'm not exactly sure how Ford ran their test to advertise 300lbs, but ours wasn't anywhere near that number on a car in a full size wind tunnel. It is an Anderson nock off but I can't imagine the profile being so far off that its 120lbs of Df shy of Fords number.
Were you using one of Anderson’s original “GT350R style” wings (part AC-RS15FDMU-GR) or their later “GT350R replica” wing (part AC-RS15FDMU350-OE)? The “style” wings have a flat base and the “replica” wings have two holes and a stud on the base. The replica wing is a direct replica and has a larger surface area and more aggressive curve.

ajhartman

Threads
Reaction score
Website
ajhartmanaero.com
Vehicle(s)
99 GT and 2016 GT350
Were you using one of Anderson’s original “GT350R style” wings (part AC-RS15FDMU-GR) or their later “GT350R replica” wing (part AC-RS15FDMU350-OE)? The “style” wings have a flat base and the “replica” wings have two holes and a stud on the base. The replica wing is a direct replica and has a larger surface area and more aggressive curve.
Ah awesome! I was curious if there was a way to know by part numbers or fine details. Mine is the one where the "wing" can seperate from the bases and has 2 holes and a stud on the base. And looking at them on the Anderson site, I definitely have the OE replica one part # AC-RS15FDMU350-OE

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Oh yeah, those two Anderson wings are night and day. Visually there’s no mixing the two up.

Racer5973

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ray
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt
Wickerbills/Gurney flaps create alot of downforce for their size but create a fair amount of drag also but are a great option if you don't want a larger actual wing.

Sponsored

13GetThere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lynn
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP2 Magnet Grey
Keeping an eye on this one.

1958cyclist

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
1985 Mustang GT, 2016 Focus ST, 2017 Mustang GT
I'll also keep following this thread. I've contemplated augmenting the aerodynamics on my '17 GT, but so far with all of my track time spent on a very technical-tight course, I don't know that I've noticed the lack of a rear or more aggressive front aero aids. Top speed on the sort-of long straight is between 110 - 115.
Sponsored