OEM brake pads on the 2020 GT350R

AgSurfer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350R / 2021 Shelby GT500
What are the OEM brake pads on the 2020 GT350R?
Sponsored

meterman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350R KR785
Are you asking who makes them? Ferodo does.

OP
OP
AgSurfer

AgSurfer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Reason for asking - going to the track next month. I am a novice at the track. Going with a friend who has been racing cars for 20 years. He was happy to help me. While he has some limited familiarity with the GT350R (he is not a Mustang guy), he did not know all of the technical aspects. He asked two questions about the brakes.

1. What are the EOM brake pads and are they race track quality / caliber? Quote" nothing worse than your pads turning into potato chips after 5 laps and you have to take your car off track".
2. What are the specs of the Ford OEM brake fluid? He mentioned viscosity, temperature ratings, etc.

I am trying to research this as well. I have to believe that Ford Performance would be "race track caliber" items into the GT350R.

Thanks.

Sponsored

GTIIIL

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350
The Shelby GT350 supplement to the car's manual has a lot of information on track related issues, including brake fluid specs, suspension alignment recommendations, tire pressures and more. You should get familiar with it's contents. I recently took an HPDE class and drove a total of three hours with absolutely no hint of any brake related issues. You should also read through the HPDE/Autocross forum for more information that will help you out.

When you finally get on the track, you're gonna have a really good time!

OP
OP
AgSurfer

AgSurfer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
The Shelby GT350 supplement to the car's manual has a lot of information on track related issues, including brake fluid specs, suspension alignment recommendations, tire pressures and more. You should get familiar with it's contents. I recently took an HPDE class and drove a total of three hours with absolutely no hint of any brake related issues. You should also read through the HPDE/Autocross forum for more information that will help you out.

When you finally get on the track, you're gonna have a really good time!
Great suggestions - thank you.

OP
OP
AgSurfer

AgSurfer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Are you asking who makes them? Ferodo does.
Do you happen to know which Ferodo model / part number is used as OEM on the GT350R?

ZX3ST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350, Kona Blue, J3116
At novice level the OEM pads are fine. While not exact, consensus is that they are most similar to Ferodo DS2500. You'll be fine on OEM pads until you get faster. It took me 2 years of driving improvement to outdrive the OEM pads. But to be fair, I'm not particularly hard on brakes. My opinion is to run them until you have problems with glazing.

I have yet to run into problems with the factory brake fluid. I bleed before every event, and flush completely every-other event.

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Reason for asking - going to the track next month. I am a novice at the track. Going with a friend who has been racing cars for 20 years. He was happy to help me. While he has some limited familiarity with the GT350R (he is not a Mustang guy), he did not know all of the technical aspects. He asked two questions about the brakes.

1. What are the EOM brake pads and are they race track quality / caliber? Quote" nothing worse than your pads turning into potato chips after 5 laps and you have to take your car off track".
2. What are the specs of the Ford OEM brake fluid? He mentioned viscosity, temperature ratings, etc.

I am trying to research this as well. I have to believe that Ford Performance would be "race track caliber" items into the GT350R.

Thanks.
Okay, now that I know why you're asking, I can offer a response.

First, the pads, as @ZX3ST said, are pretty close to DS2500's. The thing is, the calipers and rotors are massive in comparison to most cars. Big metal parts lower the maximum temperatures that the brake components reach. In that setup, those pads can handle a lot more braking and heat than other vehicles with smaller brakes. Also, because of the size, the brake fluid, which comes from the factory as a DOT 4LV formulation, gets a lot of thermal protection from the heavy metal parts and can handle anything most drivers can throw at it.

So, yes, Ford Performance put race-track ready brakes and other things into your GT350R. You can go as fast as the car can go and it won't let you down.

Sponsored

meterman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350R KR785
OP
OP
AgSurfer

AgSurfer