Sponsored

OEM Battery AGM? Correct Battery Tender Mode?

jpalmerino

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Focus, 2017 AG GT350
Hey All,

I want to make sure I have this right before storing the Shelby, as this is my first winter doing such.

I still have the OEM bxt-99rt4-a battery installed, and recently purchased the Ford Performance batter maintainer found here -> https://www.cjponyparts.com/ford-pe...ELBwD1YtslWyGtGpqzBM1LtacbItk-WIaAlFDEALw_wcB

It has a special mode for AGM and I can not determine if the OEM Shelby battery is considered AGM or not. I don’t know much about lead-acid batteries so this may be a redundant thread. Looking to know if the OEM Shelby battery is AGM or not so I know whether or not to run the battery tender in normal or AGM mode.

Thanks!!
Sponsored

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
Hey All,

I want to make sure I have this right before storing the Shelby, as this is my first winter doing such.

I still have the OEM bxt-99rt4-a battery installed, and recently purchased the Ford Performance batter maintainer found here -> https://www.cjponyparts.com/ford-pe...ELBwD1YtslWyGtGpqzBM1LtacbItk-WIaAlFDEALw_wcB

It has a special mode for AGM and I can not determine if the OEM Shelby battery is considered AGM or not. I don’t know much about lead-acid batteries so this may be a redundant thread. Looking to know if the OEM Shelby battery is AGM or not so I know whether or not to run the battery tender in normal or AGM mode.

Thanks!!
It is not an AGM battery. . . unfortunately.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
It has a special mode for AGM and I can not determine if the OEM Shelby battery is considered AGM or not. Thanks!!
If you had AGM battery, it would state so on the label - F150 OEM battery was AGM and it was clearly labeled as such. It also died in 3.5 years.

OP
OP
jpalmerino

jpalmerino

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Focus, 2017 AG GT350
Anyone see any ventilation issues with this? The car cover is super light but I’m not sure how much breathing room the battery needs while on the tender

AA1E1BC9-CAE3-4093-89D4-99C6D4B76977.jpeg

Sponsored

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I just got new Battery Tenders. These seem great also and have served me well for years and years. Plus, these are fire and forget.

D195EF5D-A9BB-4D25-846B-7E2E4241F41D.jpeg

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Anyone see any ventilation issues with this? The car cover is super light but I’m not sure how much breathing room the battery needs while on the tender

It's fine. Btw - there really is no reason to keep on the charger (this is Ctek btw - re-branded) all the time. Connect every once in a while but my car doesn't really drain battery at all. Last winter is hasn't been started for month and a half and it was perfectly fine.

Postal Bob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
It's fine. Btw - there really is no reason to keep on the charger (this is Ctek btw - re-branded) all the time. Connect every once in a while but my car doesn't really drain battery at all. Last winter is hasn't been started for month and a half and it was perfectly fine.
Then your car is the exception. It is a GT350, right? Anyone will tell you, left unattended for 2-3 weeks, and you'll have a dead battery. Certainly not enough power to start the car.

Sponsored

Postal Bob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350

Mine is covered all the time when hooked up to the battery tender. These are battery maintainers/tenders, not high output, quick chargers. No real heat generated.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Then your car is the exception. It is a GT350, right? Anyone will tell you, left unattended for 2-3 weeks, and you'll have a dead battery. Certainly not enough power to start the car.
350 has nothing to do with it, the word Mustang applies. My money says any modern car stored does the same thing.

Reactions: jin

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
I had two S550s, none of them had significant parasitic draw - I traveled for work often so it stayed in the garage for weeks at the time.

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
350 has nothing to do with it, the word Mustang applies. My money says any modern car stored does the same thing.
I have 6 modern vehicles and I manage a collection of 23 other than my own. My 350 is the only car I’ve had the battery go dead on after 12 days of inactivity. Maybe it’s the stupid exhaust valves cycling at random :)
Sponsored