OEM 15-17 airbox with 2018 manifold?

bjpena

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Does anybody know if it would be possible to use the OEM 15-17 intake system paired up to a 2018 intake manifold? I've been researching the 2018 manifold and cold air options for days and haven't found anything about if it's even possible. It seems that there's not really much to be gained by the hardware of an aftermarket CAI, especially one with an open element based on IATs. If the 15-17 cold air and the 18 manifold can physically fit together (and assuming someone will tune for it) I'm going to give it a try. My other thought is to acquire an 18 and up OEM intake system to mate to the 18 manifold.

Thanks all.
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Should fit since there's an accordion element in it,, but you'll definitely want a higher flowing intake with the manifold. It makes a difference with the manifold since the power gains are in the high revs and it doesn't drop off. You can avoid the IAT issue for the most part adding the VelossaTech Big Mouth. Or you can get an OEM 2018 box.

Shewantsthe5oh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red Mustang GT, 2014 Black Jeep SRT
I know that is late but it will fit no problem I am running the 2018 IM with the stock 17 cold air intake. You will need to get a plug to plug up the sound tube hole if you decide to delete the sound tube but it bolt right up. Also car pull insanely hard compared to stock I was really surpirsed. Car is tuned by lund and is stock otherwise.

poncho@home

GettingOld
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
I just picked up an OEM 2018 intake airbox with plans to buy a 2018+ intake manifold. Everything I have read is that the OEM 2018+ is a good option and will flow better than the '15-'17 airbox.

Looking forward to summer!

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
The airbox itself is the same minus the resonator piece. You could get by with just getting the intake pipe and it would be the same as the 2018 intake outside of the resonator on the front snorkel.

Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
The airbox itself is the same minus the resonator piece. You could get by with just getting the intake pipe and it would be the same as the 2018 intake outside of the resonator on the front snorkel.
Based on another thread on here, the only thing that is the same is the bottom piece of the airbox. The top (or lid) has a bigger mouth/MAF tube and the pipe from the airbox to the throttle is also bigger.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Based on another thread on here, the only thing that is the same is the bottom piece of the airbox. The top (or lid) has a bigger mouth/MAF tube and the pipe from the airbox to the throttle is also bigger.
Yeah, that makes sense. The part numbers matched up and that's what made it confusing.
Sponsored