Odometer readings on new cars

22GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kris
Vehicle(s)
2020 f150 xlt, 2013 avenger 3.6l, 2017 f350 srw xl
Not a mustang but I bought a 2013 Dodge avenger before it was delivered to the dealership. I got there the next day and the car had 1.3 miles on it when I got there.
Sponsored

LikeMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
realistically you may never actually know unless someone where works at the plant. Some OEMs have a transport mode which can reset or not record mileage until customer delivery. I'm sure their are other cars that get random testing which runs up the miles.

2BigPups

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2013 F-150
12 miles on my Mach 1; 16 miles on my wife's '21 GT convertible. Both were dealer stock.

OP
OP
TentacleKitty

TentacleKitty

Tentacle Kitty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Premium, 2014 Toyota Tacoma
realistically you may never actually know unless someone where works at the plant. Some OEMs have a transport mode which can reset or not record mileage until customer delivery. I'm sure their are other cars that get random testing which runs up the miles.
Good points mentioned here. I've heard about the "transport mode" but don't know all of what it does. Some say it limits engine RPM range and other vehicle functions, until the dealer unlocks them with control panel settings, buttons or pedal pushes. And maybe as you say, this might keep an odometer from accumulating mileage. But I really don't know.

Other contributing factors to odometer mileage beyond the Ford Production Plant can be loading/unloading the car to/from truck and/or train, and other dealer prep tasks, including getting the car tank filled at a nearby gas station. And for some, test drives at and around the dealership.

From reading the various replies on this thread, it looks like 2 miles is about as low as one might get on the odometer.

Mdtaylorjr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
michael
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt
The 2021 I bought last week had 13 miles on It when I looked at it. I put 7 on the test drive and it still only had 21miles on it when I finally took delivery 3 days later they parked it and only drove it 1 mile for the gas and detail.

Sponsored

dbtgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500
When I picked up my '21 GT500 it had 6 miles on the ODO. The sales manager said that they unloaded it and put it in the showroom. I'm not sure I believe that...

Mdtaylorjr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
michael
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt
When I picked up my '21 GT500 it had 6 miles on the ODO. The sales manager said that they unloaded it and put it in the showroom. I'm not sure I believe that...
It would've been put the the service dept for PDI which would also include a road test. Being a high end vehicle they probably had a top tech that they trust doing it and not the normal low end tech doing it. Each dealer will have a different amount of miles they put on them. Most I've worked at is 5-10 miles to check vehicle functions and make sure no repairs are needed before sale.

quikcolin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP2
My 2020 GT had 4km on it when I road tested it, and then ultimately purchased the car. When I took delivery it had 10km on it, 6km of which I put on the car

dbtgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500
It would've been put the the service dept for PDI which would also include a road test. Being a high end vehicle they probably had a top tech that they trust doing it and not the normal low end tech doing it. Each dealer will have a different amount of miles they put on them. Most I've worked at is 5-10 miles to check vehicle functions and make sure no repairs are needed before sale.
Thanks for the info, Michael - that makes sense.
The sales manager didn't mention the PDI drive to me but he probably didn't think about it.

Semp1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1 Magneride
Mine was about 260, because the dealer had to go get it for me.
same here mine was 139 but realistically that was cheap of them. They wanted to save a tow fee or paying someone to go tow it. There’s really no reason to drive the car.

Sponsored

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
same here mine was 139 but realistically that was cheap of them. They wanted to save a tow fee or paying someone to go tow it. There’s really no reason to drive the car.
That's OK, at least it got some break in miles. I had two races on the way home from the dealer, and beat both. An Audi & a 600 crotch rocket.

Semp1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1 Magneride
That's OK, at least it got some break in miles. I had two races on the way home from the dealer, and beat both. An Audi & a 600 crotch rocket.
Yes. And I’m sure they had a few races too. Lol.

JUNQDAWG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
WILL
Vehicle(s)
2018 MUSTANG GT 5.0 10 SPEED
MY 2018 . ORDERED IN DEC ....HIT THE DEALER FEB 15.. HAD 9 MILES ON IT .. The salesman took me for a test drive . I use "hand controls" so he drove . I had owned a Auto Salvage Yard and bought over
10 different pickups / wreckers/ 89 T-Bird Turbo , which at the time I thought was a "ROCKET" . Rest of Family businesses all bought their vehicles from same guy . He did not even ask for a deposit to order it . We got down the hiway out of the one red light town and I asked him to jump "IN IT @ 25 mph" . When he threw my ass back in the seat , I was speechless . It was 5.0 Gt 10sp . He said " If you had been a new customer I knew I had You by the look on your face . He had seen it many times !!!!. He took it to the Drivers Aid dealer 25 miles away to get the hand controls installed for me and I picked it up there . After they test drove it to check the controls , it had close to 50 miles when my ass got behind the wheel . But those were a bit different circumstances . OH .... after that test ride , That '89 T-Bird turbo coupe with 225 HP ??? NOT Sure , long time ago . Well it kinda reminded me of a really fast "Chevette" ..................................'Ol Henry has come a LONG WAY BABY
junqdawg

aham23

FPC 5.2
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 FJG Mach 1 w/ HP
So you think they lied and took it for a joy ride. A 6 mile one? Lol.
Sponsored