Sponsored

Odds of a replacement transmission

DannySublime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2008 Evo X GSR
I have a 2017 gt still under warranty with a 5th gear grind... but it’s fully bolted apart from headers and Lund tuned on e85. catdeletes xpipe and corsa exhaust ported 18 manifold and intake. Any chance the dealer would replace? Got the extended warranty when the car was new to 75k currently at 71.

I have multiple Ford dealerships around me, should I be honest with them on all mods or just say exhaust mod? Is there even a chance one would replace it or rebuild without caring about bolt ons and tune?
Sponsored

Last edited:

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
No way to know until you try. I'd be honest about your mods and say that if they were responsible, the problem wouldn't be with 5th gear.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Tough call. Depends on the dealer. A tune could cause a warranty denial for anything in the driveline.

spedy7

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
1966 Mustang coupe, 2023 GT
Tough call. Depends on the dealer. A tune could cause a warranty denial for anything in the driveline.
Ditto on this, up to the dealer (possibly Ford too). We had a GT as well come in with a trans issue that ended up with a warrantied transmission, despite having a twin turbo setup. Easily could've been kicked, I think we just went with it since we aren't as busy as other big city dealerships.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Regardless of the mods - it has to be proven that a mod or mods is what caused the transmission problem or failure.

The transmission falls under the 3/36 new car warranty and if you have exceeded the 3/36 by years or miles, then the transmission is still covered under the 5/60 Powertrain warranty.

Even if you purchased a Ford ESP Warranty, or other aftermarket extended Warranty - the 5/60 would still be used first before the ESP - UNLESS there’s a component not covered under the 5/60 but is covered by the ESP - then the ESP would be utilized.

As others have said, take it into a Ford Dealer Service Center, take the Shop Foreman or Tech on a test drive and replicate the issue for him. Then let the Shop Foreman or Tech drive the car back to the Dealership so they can also replicate the issue. This will prove beyond a doubt the problem exists and was replicated with you in the vehicle. It’s better doing it that way instead of just dropping off the car and letting them “try” to find the stated problem.

If the car gets turned down for warranty work due to “mods”, politely ask them to prove which mod caused the transmission failure.

Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Depends on the dealer.
It's usually not up to the dealer to payout the funds for warranty work, especially for large things like the transmission. It goes to Ford and they approve it, and unless the dealer lies to Ford about the tune, Ford is going to ask for the details and most likely deny the claim once they find out about the tune.

Dealers of course want to do the work and get paid, and it would be alot easier if Ford paid it out, so if it was up to the dealer then nothing would ever get denied as they would lose on work.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
It's usually not up to the dealer to payout the funds for warranty work, especially for large things like the transmission. It goes to Ford and they approve it, and unless the dealer lies to Ford about the tune, Ford is going to ask for the details and most likely deny the claim once they find out about the tune.

Dealers of course want to do the work and get paid, and it would be alot easier if Ford paid it out, so if it was up to the dealer then nothing would ever get denied as they would lose on work.
As you say, it depends on the dealer. Do they want to take the chance of getting caught by Ford for not informing them of a modification that could affect the claim. That's why we always hear about the "dealer" refusing a warranty claim. You and I know it's not about the dealer but that doesn't stop them.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT

This is true, but with a 5th gear grind I doubt Ford is gonna ask any questions about mods. On the surface it doesn't seem like something that would come from abuse or too much power. How many customers are slamming 4-5 on a regular basis?

Fringe failures like this are where you're most likely to get lucky.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
This is true, but with a 5th gear grind I doubt Ford is gonna ask any questions about mods. On the surface it doesn't seem like something that would come from abuse or too much power. How many customers are slamming 4-5 on a regular basis?

Fringe failures like this are where you're most likely to get lucky.
Except there is a specific TSB/instructions for techs to look for flash counts when dealing with anything powertrain related. If it was anything non powertrain, I'd say it's pretty safe.

With any powertrain failure, it will be up to the dealer to somehow get around that if they are willing.

OP
OP

DannySublime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So I made an appointment for next Wednesday for the the car to get looked at. They asked nothing about modifications so I guess I will wait until next week to tell them if they do ask. Problem is they are far from any highway and the only time the gear actually grinds from 4th-5th is above 5k rpms

Sponsored

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
it has to be proven that a mod or mods is what caused the transmission problem or failure.
Just wanted to comment that's not reality. If a manufacturer feels they have reason to deny warranty, they just do it. Then YOU would have to sue them... if you think a jury would side with you :). Many folks have found out the hard way it's not easy. The first mistake is to try to hide mods, which would be an automatic case loser, since the intent was obviously to defraud the manufacturer. So better to always leave all mods in place, so that's not eventually used against the owner. Good luck OP.

Adamone92

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
Dealers dont make much on warranty work. Takes too long. They make more money from small jobs they can knock out quickly. The more per hour, the better. Ie, oil changes.

OP
OP

DannySublime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They are rebuilding the transmission, covered under warranty. They said I was just under the warranty. They said there’s definitely something going on in 4th gear going into 5th anytime above 5500 rpms. The replicated it multiple times.

They never asked once if the car was modified, not when I set up at the appointment or when I called them today asking for an update. They had to of seen the exhaust and the cats deleted. I did not attempt to hide anything I even left the N gauge attached to the window vent and e85 in the tank.

Im picking up the car soon and scheduling a day to drop the car off for a couple days for them to crack open the transmission and find out what happened. In there own words. Funny thing I agree I really dislike the mt82 out of all the manual transmissions I’ve owned it’s my least favorite and I know it’s reputation. However the Ford technician said that they don’t carry parts for the transmission because it’s so rare for an m82 manual transmission to break he claims he’s never done one yet and they will have to order parts. This seems real far fetched to me.

anyway I’m picking up some synchro shift transmission fluid to drop off with the car when they do rebuild the transmission. Hopefully in the summer I can invest in a MGW short throw shifter and give the mt82 a fair test

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
They are rebuilding the transmission, covered under warranty. They said I was just under the warranty. They said there’s definitely something going on in 4th gear going into 5th anytime above 5500 rpms. The replicated it multiple times.

They never asked once if the car was modified, not when I set up at the appointment or when I called them today asking for an update. They had to of seen the exhaust and the cats deleted. I did not attempt to hide anything I even left the N gauge attached to the window vent and e85 in the tank.

Im picking up the car soon and scheduling a day to drop the car off for a couple days for them to crack open the transmission and find out what happened. In there own words. Funny thing I agree I really dislike the mt82 out of all the manual transmissions I’ve owned it’s my least favorite and I know it’s reputation. However the Ford technician said that they don’t carry parts for the transmission because it’s so rare for an m82 manual transmission to break he claims he’s never done one yet and they will have to order parts. This seems real far fetched to me.

anyway I’m picking up some synchro shift transmission fluid to drop off with the car when they do rebuild the transmission. Hopefully in the summer I can invest in a MGW short throw shifter and give the mt82 a fair test

so rare I am on my second with 42k miles. So rare there is a lawsuit stating Ford knows the MT82 was not designed to handle the torque and horsepower from the Mustang 5.0. 350ftlbs max.

DRKHORS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
'11 Mustang, '17 Mustang, '18 F150, '23 Mustang GT
You might want to politely ask them to not flash the ECU while they have your car since your running a tune...
Sponsored