Sponsored

blown302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 mustang gt/2004 svt cobra/2016 GT PP
fan noise

I don't call this normal either, only one of my fans squeaks on shut down.
When I spin the other one by hand it's quiet while the other squeaks.
If these fan motors were consistently built, either both should squeak or both should be quiet!
Who ever is defending this BS noise is the foolish one !
Sponsored

Last edited:

5.0hopeful

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
It isn't normal. At least I don't believe so. I had the noise on mine and the fans were replaced. They were fine for awhile. Unfortunately, the noise is back. It's not normal if the noise wasn't present for awhile and now it's come back. If it was normal, the noise would be there from day 1

FordTechOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cobra
It isn't normal. At least I don't believe so. I had the noise on mine and the fans were replaced. They were fine for awhile. Unfortunately, the noise is back. It's not normal if the noise wasn't present for awhile and now it's come back. If it was normal, the noise would be there from day 1
There appears to be 2 different noises that are being described here, and its resulting in some confusion.

A slight rotational/rubbing noise that only occurs on spin-down after the fans have been running and are hot is the result of normal brush noise. My 2015 Edge often exhibits the brush noise upon engine shutdown after the fans have been running for a while.

All fan motors make the noise, however the contact pattern of the brushes on the commutator will make some more audible than others. The noise typically appears after the fan motors are broken in, which is why it went away for a while when the fan was replaced. If the same exact noise came back, it's most likely the brush noise you are hearing. It's not something to worry about, as it doesn't affect the performance or durability of the motors.

However, if the fans make a grinding, squeaking, or squealing sound while running, that indicates a faulty motor. In that case, the fan assembly should be replaced.

Sick03L

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Mustang Premium Automagic
Only one of mine squeaks during shut down... its sounds shitty. And its not brush noise.... it freaking eeks eeks eeks

Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Both my fans were running when I pulled into the garage today. I popped the hood and couldn't hear any odd noises from them. Shut the car off and didn't heard any kind of fan squealing, etc.

Left the hood propped up. Then 6 hours later when everything was cold, I spun each fan by hand - larger fan on driver's side and smaller fan on passenger's side. The large fan was very quiet, but I could hear a faint squeal out of the small fan. Something to watch now.

Last edited:

2016_Dark_Horse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium | Shadow Black
Same squeal on shutdown here too. Just got the car 2 weeks ago :doh: Hopefully it's an easy fix though. First time it happened, I pulled into the garage, shut the car off and squeeeeaaaaaaak. My wife and I both gave each other the same look :confused: I told her it would no doubt be on the forums.

GiddyUp15

YMR Member #585
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Convertible
I brought my car in last week for multiple little issues including this one. The service rep didn't even have me recreate it for him because he knew the issue so well. He actually hadn't had anyone complain on the newer Mustangs yet, but he said it was an issue that Ford has had for years on other cars, including his wife's Explorer. He said they'll replace it, but that I'd likely be back in 6 months with the same issue. Very disappointed in Ford's supplier quality department. :(

blown302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 mustang gt/2004 svt cobra/2016 GT PP
squeaky fan

My 2016 GT did it soon after I got it. It seems to have gone away after a few hundred miles, maybe give it some time and see.

dev1360

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DIB 2016 S550
My 16 GT also has the fan noise on shutdown. As well as a heavily creaking driver's seat, thin/poor quality paint, and poor cooled seat performance.

My 09 Vette was cheaper, faster, and flawless. Shame.

Sponsored

GhostS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White S500 GT
My 2016 GT started doing this spin down noise as well, high pitch screaming. I haven't noticed it doing it while the engine is running but I will keep my eye out and take it in if it does.

This is the first issue I have had with my car but I have only had it a month.

Dosia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Mine started with the shutdown squeeks and has now grown to squeeking while driving. I guess I will be bringing it in soon. :tsk:

5.0hopeful

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Anyone in here resolved this yet? I had mine fixed at the dealership around this time last year but it's doing it again. Going to keep an eye on it the next few days but if it keeps doing it, I'll likely take it in again.

Sick03L

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Mustang Premium Automagic
Anyone in here resolved this yet? I had mine fixed at the dealership around this time last year but it's doing it again. Going to keep an eye on it the next few days but if it keeps doing it, I'll likely take it in again.
My replacement fans started within 4 months of being replaced. Bad bearings.