Octane Adjust stuck at 0

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I noticed this while logging today, OAR (learned octane adjustment) never actually learns anything, it just stays at 0... That means the car isn't subtracting any timing, but it isn't adding any either. Has anyone ever seen this before with the stock tune? I'm going to try resetting the adaptive tables manually with my scan tool and see if it fixes it, but that's very bizarre. I always use 91, but even if I didn't, there's basically no way this value could stay at 0.0 unless it just isn't turned on or bugged out for some reason.
Sponsored

FruityJudy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
What tool are you using? I dont believe the cars learn any octane factory. The knock sensors take care of any timing adjustments needed

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
ice445

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
What tool are you using? I dont believe the cars learn any octane factory. The knock sensors take care of any timing adjustments needed
Forscan with my OBDlink MX+. OAR or "learned octane adjust" is basically inferred from knock sensor performance and the car decides fuel quality from it. -1 is the best value and 1 is the worst. Since I'm not getting spread in either direction I'm basically not getting the best performance the stock tune can offer

The Demon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 N5809, 2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Vehicle Showcase
I’m assuming you’re tuned Ryan? I haven’t checked, but I don’t know if there’s a setting to check this on the nGauge. My car runs fantastic, but I’d like to know if the car is doing what it supposed to based on octane.

Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Forscan with my OBDlink MX+. OAR or "learned octane adjust" is basically inferred from knock sensor performance and the car decides fuel quality from it. -1 is the best value and 1 is the worst. Since I'm not getting spread in either direction I'm basically not getting the best performance the stock tune can offer
Are the KS adding/subtracting timing ?

OP
OP
ice445

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I’m assuming you’re tuned Ryan? I haven’t checked, but I don’t know if there’s a setting to check this on the nGauge. My car runs fantastic, but I’d like to know if the car is doing what it supposed to based on octane.
Nope, unfortunately I'm on the stock tune which makes this more strange. I do wonder if the ngauge can log this. I think there's another similar value called "KOM" or knock octane modifier and its the same thing but works on the opposite scale (so 1 would be the best value).
Are the KS adding/subtracting timing ?
Doesn't seem to be, no. I'm not really getting any actual knock counts, but the sensors do appear to be working. It's usually sitting around 20 on both sensors for absolute values.

Gonna reset the learned memory and fill up with a fresh tank of 91 and cross my fingers I guess, because this is pretty odd.

OP
OP
ice445

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Well resetting adaptations has already fixed something that was concerning me, the car would always charge at like 15v despite SoC being 90%+. Now it's scaling down as expected.

I wonder if something got glitched out when I was installing my battery charger pigtails. Time will tell, but I have to do some driving to see if OAR comes back online and knock adjust starts doing something.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Well resetting adaptations has already fixed something that was concerning me, the car would always charge at like 15v despite SoC being 90%+. Now it's scaling down as expected.

I wonder if something got glitched out when I was installing my battery charger pigtails. Time will tell, but I have to do some driving to see if OAR comes back online and knock adjust starts doing something.
I don’t know if this matters, however have you read through the threads on here regarding having to reset the battery management system when swapping batteries or replacing a battery? I know you state you were just adding pigtails for your battery charger, but I’m wondering if somehow that has affected your BMS, which would affect PCM strategies.

See these threads (if you haven’t):
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/bms-reset-no-tools-required.151602/

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/battery-management-system-reset.106897/

Sponsored
OP
OP
ice445

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I don’t know if this matters, however have you read through the threads on here regarding having to reset the battery management system when swapping batteries or replacing a battery? I know you state you were just adding pigtails for your battery charger, but I’m wondering if somehow that has affected your BMS, which would affect PCM strategies.

See these threads (if you haven’t):
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/bms-reset-no-tools-required.151602/

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/battery-management-system-reset.106897/
I did take the battery out of the car yes, but I didn't do another reset because I didn't want to reset the days in service value. Resetting all the adaptations seems to include resetting the BMS in some capacity though, since my charging strategy changed.

I didn't get to drive the car today, so I'll find out Tuesday if its working again

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
What is your total timing?

JJSSI

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2020 EcoBoost HPP w/Handling Package, 2004 Boxster S, 2013 Jeep JK,
Vehicle Showcase
I did a KAM reset to fix mine. This needs to be done with a tool, not a battery disconnect. I used an Autophix 7150. There should be several devices that will do this.

OP
OP
ice445

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
What is your total timing?
In what situation?
I did a KAM reset to fix mine. This needs to be done with a tool, not a battery disconnect. I used an Autophix 7150. There should be several devices that will do this.
Gotcha, I used forscan lite to do it so hopefully that works.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,