OBD still reading ”not ready” I have tried everything

OP
OP

Tomlouns

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible
I highly doubt the cats are bad. It's the tune. I've gone through this for an entire month. The second you put stock headers back on they'll go green after a bit.
What was your setup ? What tune were you running?
Sponsored

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
What was your setup ? What tune were you running?
ARH 1-7/8" catted long tubes, 2018 manifold, 2018 JLT intake. Lund emissions tune. I can get everything to go green except O2 / HO2. The rear O2's are located much further back than stock and require extensions to reach them. The crazy part is I could go back to a stock tune and the sensors would go green back when I had the stock manifold on. I can't do that anymore so I know it's the tune / headers.

Majority of the tunes with the blowers are all based on having stock headers when passing emissions when they say their tune works.

F1scamp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT
Where in NY are you located? I can probably help you out if you are local Albany area.

jabrax

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2015 ruby red PP GT
1. I have also done a few pulls up to about 80 at the end of each drive cycle... do I need to go longer ?
2. The 1/2 to 3/4 throttle to 45 is hard... as you know it just wants to smoke the tires ... I have tried this with and without tc on and do the best I can... but if you put the gas 1/2 down it is a smoke show... either way I think I did what needed to be done here.
3. (This one cant be done as it is written.)The one that says go to 50 for 15 seconds, then stop , then go to 40 for 30 SEC. Then put it in over drive... and take it to 50 for 30 SEC. This really can’t be done because until I get to about 43... meaning it will not go into 6th until you get to about 43mph... other than these two tests I know I am doing them right...
Where are you getting the drive cycle information. The drive cycle i used reads very different. Nothing about 1/2 or 3/4 throttle. Damn near impossible boosted. It did mention 1/2 to 3/4 fill in gas tank. It stressed a steady throttle during the cycle.

Sponsored

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Wish you were closer.
Absolutely check the connections on the back side of the block. There are SEVERAL connectors back there and you can get at least one swapped or not connected. You cant get emissions done with the cam phasers not working.
You should do a crank relearn again after correcting the cam control.
Only AFTER, you get cam control fixed, double check you have front and rear O2 sensor wires not swapped backwards front to rear with extensions. Seen that done due to drinkn while wrenchn.
Best luck.

OP
OP

Tomlouns

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Where are you getting the drive cycle information. The drive cycle i used reads very different. Nothing about 1/2 or 3/4 throttle. Damn near impossible boosted. It did mention 1/2 to 3/4 fill in gas tank. It stressed a steady throttle during the cycle.
EGR 8. From a stop, accelerate to 72 Km/h (45 MPH) at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle. Repeat 3 times.
I did get this to set but it really can't be done as it is written with the Pzero.

OP
OP

Tomlouns

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wish you were closer.
Absolutely check the connections on the back side of the block. There are SEVERAL connectors back there and you can get at least one swapped or not connected. You cant get emissions done with the cam phasers not working.
You should do a crank relearn again after correcting the cam control.
Only AFTER, you get cam control fixed, double check you have front and rear O2 sensor wires not swapped backwards front to rear with extensions. Seen that done due to drinkn while wrenchn.
Best luck.

OP
OP

Tomlouns

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I will double check what you suggested thank you...When I sent it to my tuner... he didn't seem concerned. The only thing he said is try this tune.. " I loosened things up a little bit? (i have no idea what that means.) If I hit cam relearn now will it kill my current drive cycles? Everything is now set other than the Catalyst / O2's. I am about 10 cold starts in and 200 miles in. Thoughts?

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
I would think the variable cam timing is a bigger issue than emissions.

Late closing intake allows dynamic reduction in compression. Check with your tuner if thats in the tune and if you should be going WOT to redline without cam control.

Can you clear the cam control errors only?

There may be some effect on exhaust make up as the cam control influences intake/exhaust overlap which massively changes the amount of uncombusted free air mixed into the exhaust stream and into the cats to help “strip” the rich cat surfaces.

Check w tuner.
Clear cam error and sanity check if you are FI with no cam control. Interested to hear what tuner says. Would not go WOT until then.

Sponsored

F1scamp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT
Dude. Stop. If you dont have any dtc’s, you dont have any vvt problems. Also stop trying a egr drive cycle, the coyote doesnt have an egr. Doesnt have secondary air either. Aftermarket scan tools are ignorant in what they do not know and sometimes will lead you on a tangent. I am at the track this weekend, but if you want we can set up a time later this week or next weekend to get to the bottom of it. It can be as simple as a rear o2 going out, not getting hot enough, or the monitoring is shut off in the tune.. Did you already fail and get the ten day waiver?

OP
OP

Tomlouns

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Okay... I changed tuners ... and within three tunes over 8 days... on the final tune it only took 21 miles over two days.... and I didn’t do any drive cycles other than go 40 for about 5 mins and for ten mins at 55...
Everything set that first day other than the O2’s. the O2 set the next morning after taking a 7 mile drive . Lessons learned... tuning is the key and these cars like 40 miles an hour to set just about everything... it all happens fast if you can hold that 40 mph... doing full drive cycles is a HUGE waste of time... I should know I did about 20 of them in a auto they take about 2 hours... everything sets very quickly if the car likes what it see...
4E235801-D5D4-43CA-97F9-1FA3D2D453C4.jpeg

Racemaster

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.skspeed.com
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2015 Roush 2003 Marauder
I also am trying to get mine to set right now with the PBD emissions tune.I feel like it is waste of time.
My thought was to load the Ford racing tune back in,as that sets very fast.
What tune did you end up with?

OP
OP

Tomlouns

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lund was able to take care of this VERY quickly for me. Their response time during business hours is VERY fast too, I think they have 5 or 6 full time tuners now... They dialed in the car very quickly and followed a what I would call a safe procedure, while tuning the car... don't get me wrong, I like my PBD tune and Rob helped me out with a couple of build issues... However, we just couldn't get it to set... The other thing that is very interesting... with the Lund tune the car isn't as loud and that makes me happy too... I have also read some older threads where PBD was able to get them to set when Lund couldn't. At some point, I want to put both tunes on a DYNO and see what happens... :-) right now I am just happy this is behind me, I thought I was going to have to sell the car to someone in another state or put the factory headers back on (7 hours labor)... So my advice is once a new tune is loaded... go 40mph for 5 mins (everything set for me other than the EVAP and O2's / then do 10 mins 45-65 this sets the (EVAP) (this has to be done within the first 30 min.s of a cold start) on the highway... for me that set everything but the O2's... the next day the O2's set after a short drive... oh, four other things... take the key out of the car at night, do not use cruise control / be smooth on the gas, turn the key on before starting the car and keep the car at 3/4 full with gas... The biggest lesson learned for me, keep in mind I was only interested in a street car... I would have just gone with the whipple tune... and kept the exhaust factory... this is what I wanted to do but was talked out of it by the person the did my build and anther person that sold me the parts... the time, effort and money to deal with all this extra stuff isn't worth it to me...

Bartly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Good going, glad to see it worked out. I’m am in the same boat with a PBD tune as well. I have some time, so I decided to just put miles on it to see if it would happen, no dice. I think I have about 2000 miles now since the last time install and the O2’s are still incomplete.
Curious if you had to buy a Lund nguage? I’ve been using a HP Tuners Ngauge and cant stomach the idea of having to buy another for their tune. But it would be worth it if I can stop fretting about having a car that won’t pass the test.
Sponsored