OBD Code P04DB

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
I decided to install a catch can that I had out in the garage on the clean side of the crankcase ventilation system in my Ecoboost. My plan was the same as my approach to all my other turbo cars which was to disconnect the hose that goes from the valve cover to the intake at the intake then put a catch can on the end of the hose with a filter.

I did this and got the code noted above within 10 miles and came back again when cleared. So I removed the filter on the catch can and ran a line back to the connection on the intake. I thought this took care of the code but it came back after about 100 miles.

My question what does this sensor in the line measure and how would adding a catch can make it report the line is disconnected?

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated
Sponsored

JungleG1337

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
Check this thread. I got this code too after I got my TSB (PCV replacement) done by Ford but there is absolutely nothing wrong with my car and the catch can. I got Adam from Tune+ turn it off.

JStang15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Ecoboost
I also got this code after catch can installation. I installed the UPR dual valve and clean side catch cans and got the code and CEL very shortly after that. I also had Adam turn off the code in my tune. Car seems to be running great.

OP
OP
dgc333

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
So no one has figured out how to defeat that sensor in the line? I suppose I can ask my tuner to turn it off but I have to revert to the stock tune to pass emissions and would prefer not to have disconnect the catch can too.

JungleG1337

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
You dont have to revert back to stock tune for inspection.

Sponsored

thxultra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost, 2016 Mercedes C300
I also keep getting this code with the UPR catch can installed. Concerned it is going to cause damage. I can simply clear the code with my tunner but more concerned about damage to the car or having it fail emissions when that time comes.

OP
OP
dgc333

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
You dont have to revert back to stock tune for inspection.
With a tune all of the status monitors don't get set to ready which is a fail at inspection time in my state. This not new lots of folks have the same issue.

OP
OP
dgc333

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
I also keep getting this code with the UPR catch can installed. Concerned it is going to cause damage. I can simply clear the code with my tunner but more concerned about damage to the car or having it fail emissions when that time comes.
Can't see where it will cause damage but every time you clear a code the status monitors are cleared and you have to go through a drive cycle/start cycle routine before they are set to ready. They do this just so you can't clear the code as you pull into the inspection station and get a pass, you have to drive it long enough for the monitors to be set to ready.

This is the reason I am interested in whether there is a work around for the sensor (like putting a resistor across the wires to the sensor) on the clean side line.

JStang15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Ecoboost
With a tune all of the status monitors don't get set to ready which is a fail at inspection time in my state. This not new lots of folks have the same issue.
I just flashed a new tune from Adam yesterday (with the P04DB code turned off), and after about 50 miles of driving the only monitor that shows not ready is the catalyst. Not sure if it will stay as not ready or if it just takes longer for this one to go ready.

Sponsored

thxultra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Curious if it is the Catch can causing me to get the code or tune... Never got the code last summer but it has came on now 3 times.

ypena02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT

thxultra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's the Catch Can
So it the Catch can doing more harm then good? I only put it on because it is supposed to help keep the valves clean. How often are others getting this code?

ypena02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Which catch can do you have?

thxultra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)