photonarbiter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang Ecoboost Premium (AT)
Hi everyone,

I'm currently trying to complete my first logs for tuneplus and am running into an annoying problem. My OAR keeps dropping at random and I can't seem to get it to stay at -1.0. I've never tuned a car before but the instructions were pretty clear, just drive around for about 40 miles and when it gets to -1.0 do a pull in 3rd gear starting from 2,000/2,500 rpm. The problem is my OAR won't hit -1.0. Every time it gets close the number drops suddenly to the .80 range.

I've been trying to find out how I can raise it but haven't been very successful. I put the car in D and drive totally normally but it doesn't seem to react unless I'm building speed closer to 50mph. I just had a new set of plugs installed this Monday so they're fresh.

Do you guys have any advice for me? I've driven over 100 miles since reflashing the ecu and am going to be taking a drive this evening.
Sponsored

OP
OP
photonarbiter

photonarbiter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Are you running premium gas?
Hi, yes I’m running 93. I’ve driven on the highway, backroads, and in traffic and when I keep my foot on the gas lightly going uphill is when it drops OAR the most. I was at -.77 before I went for a 40 minute drive and now I’m at -.58 i’ve never seen it get this low. It’s really annoying.I’m thinking of reflashing to reset the counter to -1.0 and then getting gas from BP instead of Sunoco.

Billy1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Reflashing sounds like a good idea. Mobil super is what I found works best for my Ecoboost. Adam at Tune+ at what one time preferred Valero super.

Jaymar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymar
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS - Rapid Red
If you're logging for a tune that may be part of the timing table adjustment that is happening. It is way too early to worry about what your OAR is doing and you definitely shouldn't be changing anything about how you run while a tuner is fiddling with the knobs on the other side. It's like your moving his target around on him.

Sponsored

OP
OP
photonarbiter

photonarbiter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
If you're logging for a tune that may be part of the timing table adjustment that is happening. It is way too early to worry about what your OAR is doing and you definitely shouldn't be changing anything about how you run while a tuner is fiddling with the knobs on the other side. It's like your moving his target around on him.
The problem is that I drove for a few hundred miles and the OAR only wanted to hover around -.80 even after swapping plugs and I cant seem to get it to go back to -1 without reflashing. I live in a hilly area so that might be contributing to the problem.
I sent in some logs that were recorded at the -.8x range and he rejected them so Im stuck trying to figure this out before hell make any changes.

Jaymar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymar
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS - Rapid Red
The problem is that I drove for a few hundred miles and the OAR only wanted to hover around -.80 even after swapping plugs and I cant seem to get it to go back to -1 without reflashing. I live in a hilly area so that might be contributing to the problem.
I sent in some logs that were recorded at the -.8x range and he rejected them so Im stuck trying to figure this out before hell make any changes.
That seems odd, you'd think that would be exactly what he was looking for in an area where he'd want to back off the timing. Guess that's why I don't get paid to do that. Silly question, but are you by chance running low in the RPM range climbing those hills? Like below 2.5K? Most aftermarket tunes will add a lot of boost early to get the turbo spooled leaving a little area on the bottom end where it is possible to get early knock. Once you register a full knock the OAR backs down quickly and take a much longer time to recover. That is part of the OEM strategy that allows so much boost to run reliably with so many different fuel qualities out there. With the OAR down from a high load/low RPM he may not be able to see how it is behaving on the top end where he is advancing spark hence the rejected logs.

OP
OP
photonarbiter

photonarbiter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
That seems odd, you'd think that would be exactly what he was looking for in an area where he'd want to back off the timing. Guess that's why I don't get paid to do that. Silly question, but are you by chance running low in the RPM range climbing those hills? Like below 2.5K? Most aftermarket tunes will add a lot of boost early to get the turbo spooled leaving a little area on the bottom end where it is possible to get early knock. Once you register a full knock the OAR backs down quickly and take a much longer time to recover. That is part of the OEM strategy that allows so much boost to run reliably with so many different fuel qualities out there. With the OAR down from a high load/low RPM he may not be able to see how it is behaving on the top end where he is advancing spark hence the rejected logs.
That's exactly what was happening. Getting stuck behind people going 35mph uphill. I decided to try using Mobil 1's 93 and either I had a really good streak of luck or the new gas made a difference because I'm now at -1.00 after driving for about 40 minutes. The only change was the switch from Sunoco to Mobil. I'm going to do my logs tomorrow. Too many cops could be out with the holiday.

OP
OP
photonarbiter

photonarbiter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
I was able to complete my logs, it's strange that switching gas seems to have worked but I'll take it.

Billy1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Glad it worked out. After you get the final version of your tune, let us know how the car is performing.
Sponsored