Sponsored

O/S heated/cooled seats not working....?

V8 WUU

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Hey guys, ive got a 2017 GT (UK Model), and the drivers side heated and cooled seat has stopped working.

When you first turn it on, i can hear the relay (under the passenger seat) click, then after around 20 seconds it clicks back off.
The lights on the button stay lit up, but if you turn it off and back on, the relay does not click again until you turn the ignition back off and on again.
Or leave it turned off for a while.

The passenger side works perfectly fine.

This is the unit under the passenger seat which clicks:
IMG_2988.jpg

I have searched and it seems there was a problem with US models with the big connector melting, but my connecter looks fine:
IMG_2989.jpg

IMG_2992.jpg

So wondering if anyone else has had this happen? or any ideas?

Is it most likely the grey relay box at fault? or something else at fault and the relay box cutting out for safety?

Cheers
Sponsored

Dannyh1991

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang Ecoboost
Iv been having this exact problem since like September now, Iv posted in a couple of other threads.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...drivers-seat-not-working.149060/#post-3053030

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/drivers-side-heated-seat-not-heating.96157/

My pins look exactly like yours, no signs of burning or damage, scanning error codes brings up error B272C.

https://www.dtcdecode.com/Ford/B272C

I'm guessing it's the back rest blower motor but untill I know for certain I'm not gonna replace anything just yet.

Screenshot_20201227-151055_Photos.jpg

mike3105

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 (pre-FL) manual GT
Mine's been in once to Ford for this and they didn't fix it, so it's back again in the new year (currently start of Feb, but I'm gonna cancel the courtesy car and move it forwards). I'll update you guys with how they fix it.

OP
OP
V8 WUU

V8 WUU

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Iv been having this exact problem since like September now, Iv posted in a couple of other threads.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...drivers-seat-not-working.149060/#post-3053030

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/drivers-side-heated-seat-not-heating.96157/

My pins look exactly like yours, no signs of burning or damage, scanning error codes brings up error B272C.

https://www.dtcdecode.com/Ford/B272C

I'm guessing it's the back rest blower motor but untill I know for certain I'm not gonna replace anything just yet.
Thanks, Everything i am reading seems to be pointing towards the "blower"

Am i right in thinking there is 2 of these? for the base and backrest? And this same blower is used for both heating and cooling.

So it may make sense if one of these are not working, the relay is cutting out.

I may have a look at how easy these are to remove? and test them.

I don't really want to take it to Ford as its out of warrantee, so they will just charge a fortune and probably not have a clue either...

Dannyh1991

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang Ecoboost
Thanks, Everything i am reading seems to be pointing towards the "blower"

Am i right in thinking there is 2 of these? for the base and backrest? And this same blower is used for both heating and cooling.

So it may make sense if one of these are not working, the relay is cutting out.

I may have a look at how easy these are to remove? and test them.

I don't really want to take it to Ford as its out of warrantee, so they will just charge a fortune and probably not have a clue either...
Yeah there's one for the base and a different one for the backrest.. I think something causes one or the other to read a difference in temperature and cut the power.

I think the blower is approx £120 from Ford, not much difference in price between the seat and backrest blower. But imagine its a pain to replace or even get inside the seat so I haven't looked much further into it yet tbf.

Sponsored

Pistonbroke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 race red v8 s550
So I've had similar issues with mine, with no melted multiplug. I reset the hvac system and it all started working again. Press and hold the ac and recirc buttons together for 5 seconds then release, followed by a press of the ac button. The moment I did it, my seat immediately started hearing up.

OP
OP
V8 WUU

V8 WUU

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
So i have tried the above which made no difference :(

However it is now cutting out much quicker, if i turn either heat or cool on, you hear the click, then within 5 seconds it clicks back off!

Ive just downloaded Forscan (along with Parallels/windows software), so that it will run on my Macbook Pro, And it is showing B272C under DTC under the SCME module twice.

A google of this code seems to suggest as suggested above, its a temperature differential of more than 60D.

However i don't see how this can be the case, as its running for so little??

Surely this must be something else at fault here.

It looks like i can reset the fault codes on the SCME module, so will see what happens after doing this...

Ok, so ive reset it, no difference. i also found a SCME test in the Forscan software, when i did this, the driver seat blower kicked in (not sure i remember it being this loud and noticable?) then the passenger side did the same.

It then brought up these fault codes:
IMG_3057.JPG

I don't really see how it could see a temperature differential in a 10 second test? But also brought up B103C - Thermoelectric Driver Open Load, not sure what this really means?

Anyone any ideas?

Last edited:

mike3105

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 (pre-FL) manual GT
One of the blowers has gone. It basically means that it has much higher resistance than expected, and sets off the protective circuit. There's two, so the only way to know which one it is, is to open the seat up and measure (as far as I'm aware)

BluePonyGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Corey
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT Premium 6MT
I know I'm invading the UK forum here and revitalizing this thread thats a few months old, but I now have the exact same problem, but for me it's the passenger side. Same issues and almost the same codes pulled by my bluetooth AUTEL device after it ran a test on the SCME module:

B111C-60: Passenger thermoelectric driver open load

If SCME outputs to the passenger seat backrest or cushion blower motor are open, disconnected or a blower motor resistance greater than 90,000 ohms is sensed, the SCME continues normal operation and sets this DTC .

B272D-60: Passenger differential temperature fault

If there is a temperature differential between the passenger backrest and cushion blower motor of 60° C (108° F) or more for more than 4 seconds, the blower motor is disconnected or the duct is blocked, this DTC sets. When this happens the first time in a key cycle, the SCME puts the passenger seat system into recovery mode (see principles of operation). If the system is able to recover, it functions normally. If the system is able to recover and it occurs a second time in the same key cycle, the SCME shuts down the passenger seat system.

So did you guys find out it was the seat back blower, the one under the seat, or both?

mike3105

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 (pre-FL) manual GT
You have to actually measure across the blowers themselves to find out unfortunately.

Sponsored

bobpies

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang | V8 | Grabber Blue
Mine went in for this just before warranty ended.
It took them 3 goes and replacing 3 different things to get it working.

I think it was maybe the motor and also the heat pads themselves that they replaced - but a lot of labour to do it

BluePonyGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Corey
Vehicle(s)
Mine went in for this just before warranty ended.
It took them 3 goes and replacing 3 different things to get it working.

I think it was maybe the motor and also the heat pads themselves that they replaced - but a lot of labour to do it
The latest symptom is the relays for the passenger side stopped clicking a few days ago where previous they would click on, then click back off after 10-15 sec. Now that doesn't happen at all right after start-up.

So I ordered a new module that goes under the passenger seat as a first step:

https://parts.levittownfordparts.com/oem-parts/ford-seat-heater-control-module-bu5z14c724a

BluePonyGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Corey
Vehicle(s)
The latest symptom is the relays for the passenger side stopped clicking a few days ago where previous they would click on, then click back off after 10-15 sec. Now that doesn't happen at all right after start-up.

So I ordered a new module that goes under the passenger seat as a first step:

https://parts.levittownfordparts.com/oem-parts/ford-seat-heater-control-module-bu5z14c724a
All fixed. It was the module. In short the new part # hints that the new version that replaces the original most likely includes improvements over the old one.

Additional information here:

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/seat-warmer-working-intermittently.133283/page-2
Sponsored