Nx2 Turbo upgrade 93 ( Do I need hpfp) 350whp

JTMtang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang ecoboost
Do I need a hpfp for the Nx2 drop in turbo upgrade or can I get away without it? I'm looking to keep the whp to only 350 ish.

Thank you
Sponsored

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
For 350 HP, you don't need an NX2. The stock turbo works fine at those airflow levels.

OP
OP
JTMtang

JTMtang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang ecoboost
For 350 HP, you don't need an NX2. The stock turbo works fine at those airflow levels.
Interesting... I am getting a tune from Ryan at Pd tuning... I have mods from intercooler, downpipe, 10psi actuator wg, throttle body, charging pipes, cold air intake, performance thermostat, blow off valve, low side fuel sensor. Hopefully that will be enough.

Sponsored

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Interesting... I am getting a tune from Ryan at Pd tuning... I have mods from intercooler, downpipe, 10psi actuator wg, throttle body, charging pipes, cold air intake, performance thermostat, blow off valve, low side fuel sensor. Hopefully that will be enough.
You'll be happy. If you want to go the next step, then do a map with E30.

Ryan tunes for me, and we've been back and forth about where to go on mine. The trick with bigger turbos is that the turbo itself isn't limiting us all that much. The bigger issue is the open deck block, which is relatively fragile. If you go to a built, closed deck, then you can put a ton of boost to it, but with the open, you're limited on power as much by block strength as by air flow. So, if you go all-out on a stock turbo, you might be 375 HP. With an NX2, which can flow over 500 HP worth of air, you still are limited to 400-425 HP.

My HPP has a slightly larger turbo than the base Eco, which means I'm maybe 20 HP higher on my stock turbo potential, but the open deck strength ceiling means a larger (NX2 or bigger) turbo will likely get me no more than ~25 HP because the block itself just can't take the additional stress.

Because 'good enough' is never really enough, I'm going to stick with the stock turbo and install a methanol injection kit. That should seriously drop intake temps (a friend could get his below freezing from ~100*F if ambient humidity was low) and pretty much take me to my power limit while reducing potential knock problems.

OP
OP
JTMtang

JTMtang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang ecoboost
Are you talking about crank hp or wheel hp? I would love to get 350 whp. On 93 gas. I think from what Ryan said I'm looking at only 315 whp - 330 whp... Maybe that will be good enough without the Nx2... I hear that the block can take 350 whp without much problems?

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Are you talking about crank hp or wheel hp? I would love to get 350 whp. On 93 gas. I think from what Ryan said I'm looking at only 315 whp - 330 whp... Maybe that will be good enough without the Nx2... I hear that the block can take 350 whp without much problems?
At the wheels. Stock, my car was right at 265 HP. If I were to guess I'd say I'm somewhere around 350 now, but I haven't been back to the dyno to really see.

I'm a little surprised at those numbers. I thought Ryan was closer to 350 with your combo. Maybe it takes E30 to get to 350?

It's hard to know exactly how much power is too much. It's as much about RPM as anything. These engines do not like full throttle at low revs / high load. That can hurt a stock engine. Keep the revs up & you'll be in better shape.

Conventional wisdom is that ~425 HP is a good open deck limit, but I know Ryan has had one open deck guy over 500HP for years. It's a bit erratic.

OP
OP
JTMtang

JTMtang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang ecoboost
Thank you! I obviously need to become more educated... I have never heard about a open or closed deck block before.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Thank you! I obviously need to become more educated... I have never heard about a open or closed deck block before.
Your best bet is to talk to someone like Ryan. Give him a goal and let him tell you the best way to get there. There are a couple other people I trust. The Parker Performance guys have always been good to work with and very knowledgeable.

Sponsored

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
That's all true.

DUNDEM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Base EB PP
Just my 2 cents, but it seems the 18+ Ecoboost engines seem to make a little(25+) more power from the dyno videos I've seen.
Sponsored