Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
This Sunday I was finally about to get my GT350 out on the track at the Nurburgring. So before I go into sharing my experience let make provide a disclaimer first:

I am not a racecar driver currently or have I ever been in the past. I have never taking any driving courses beyond Driver's Ed and Defensive Driving (got a ticket once). I have had ZERO track experience, ZERO autocross, ZERO, and ZERO dragstrip experience. I do not claim to know what I am doing or claim to be an expert. My number one goal was bringing my passenger, myself, and my car home in the same condition we left home in.

So now with my experience... Driving to Nurburg was really great and worked up some expectations as you get closer, you start to see some really nice cars. The parking lots at the gas station and the diner had millions of dollars in cars just sitting there with another million just flowing in and out the round-about.

I was lucky and managed to find a spot in the diner lot. I walked over and bought a couple laps "just to start". I wasn't sure how everything worked, and I had just over half a tank of gas and the nearest Esso Station was 30 mins away. So I felt 2 laps was safe for now. Got back into the car and started for the entrance.

As I started into the first series of turns they car ahead of me just starts pulling away. I wasn't too worried considering he must be a highly experience driver at the Ring. The first time feelings of track driving going through me were excitement mixed with a little fear of rearranging a rail or wall. I got through a few more turns and picked up a little speed as my nerves calmed down. Then out of nowhere a BMW followed by a Porsche flew by me. But hey, they are processional drivers right?

So I keep going. Curve after curve, man there are a lot of curves out there. So is didn't hurt my feelings when BMWs, Porsches, or even some crazy modified hatchback driven by Mario Andretti passed my mighty 526 HP V8, Ford Shelby GT350 (grunt, grunt, grunt); no it was the 197x station wagon that honked at me as they when by with a car full of kids and a picnic basket.

I WAS GRANDMA. Unit I came up to a Miata in the last couple of turns and passed him on the straight away like a Honda blows past you at 80 in a 60 like he just beat you in a drag race.

So, don't expect a lot to change for the second lap. I was faster (internal clock), I was passed fewer time with greater periods in-between. An I got my first true pass out on the track. This time there was someone on the side of the track and cones out pushing the cars to the right.

After the second lap I parked the car to get something to drink and buy more laps. But at that time they announced that driving was suspended while they cleaned up the wreck or maybe even another wreck.

Just as we were walking to go back to the car, I had an 1.5 hour drive for dinner with the wife, they announced that the track was opening again. I saw a ton of people rushing back to their cars. So we called it with just 2 laps.

But the Autobahn home and 150 mph made up a little.

I will report that I did not hit limp mode at the Ring or on the long drive there and back. 250 degrees was the highest temp I saw, back my track driving was not really heat inducing either.

I slow as I was compared to other drivers out there I was still pretty fast. I did not represent the GT350 community very well as, I have a lot of room for improvement. I need classes. My daughter was PISSED at me for taking my brother in law and not her. She is coming next time. And there will be a next time.

http://www.tourifotos.de/galerie/al...aum=11:00-12:00/foto=11-12h-IMG_4277.jpg.html
Sponsored

Last edited:

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Congrats on a successful track outing and thank you for keeping it real.

VooDoo387R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R & 2020 GT500
Practice makes perfect, I'd do that track in a heart beat with or without experience. A for effort.

50 Deep

Signature Wheel Ford Rep
Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.signaturewheel.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Happy for you man. You are driving a track that many only dream of.

I find it ironic that with all the posts you made regarding your hate for Ford in the limp mode thread, that the first time you take the car on track you dont even go into limp mode.

Sponsored

OP
OP
lemers

lemers

Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Happy for you man. You are driving a track that many only dream of.

I find it ironic that with all the posts you made regarding your hate for Ford in the limp mode thread, that the first time you take the car on track you dont even go into limp mode.
Im still not happy that limp mode is so easily obtainable. Maybe not by me know; but it is a shadow of doubt casted over the Shelby line from Ford.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Im still not happy that limp mode is so easily obtainable.
:doh:

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Im still not happy that limp mode is not so easily obtainable. Maybe not by me know; but it is a shadow of doubt casted over the Shelby line from Ford.
Fixed :)

Balsy man - I've had some track experience and I didn't drive on the Ring when I was there. I did get some laps as a passenger. The difference in speed between the different cars/drivers is very intimidating, IMO. Also, you might know already but - it's very complicated if you wreck on the Ring...especially if someone else is involved. It's technically a public road so all of their rules apply there as far as liability and damages. A friend of mine got into a minor wreck and it still cost him a LOT of money.

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
Awesome!!!! I would never recommend the Nordschleife as a beginner track, NEVER!!! Having said that, I am glad you kept your cool and took your time. highly recommend a ring car and an instructor if you want to go fast at the ring. That way you learn in a slower but very capable car. I have track experience and yet the ring was still very much intimidating. The speed as which faster cars pass you in straights or turns is just unreal! Glad you enjoyed your car and did not hit limp mode on and off track. :cheers:

Sponsored
OP
OP
lemers

lemers

Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Where are the effin' pictures?
I've been having issues uploading pics to this site. But I added a link to a track pic.

Paul@PKAUTODESIGN

The Wheel guy
Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
WWW.PKAutoDesign.com
First Name
Paul A.
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Tech Pack #G5531 Avalanche Grey
That would be so epic to drive my car there, but I know 100% id put her in limp mode for sure.

OP
OP
lemers

lemers

Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Here is another thing about limp mode at Nurburg, if you drive fast there you are aren't going to be driving for the 10 to 20 mins that cause limp mode. If you drive like me, you clearly aren't driving hard enough to create enough heat to cause limp mode. Maybe if you buy several laps and hit them back to back hard, you will get there.

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
highly recommend a ring car and an instructor if you want to go fast at the ring.
You're spot on about the intimidation factor. Unfortunately, you can't use an instructor on Touristenfahrten (tourist driving) days--not allowed. To do that you have to be willing to dish out about $1500 at a min (not counting car rental if you do that). Also, Touristenfahrten really aren't track days per se. It's more like a narrow stretch of autobahn. So experience counts, but defensive driving and humility are far more important than experience. Might as well just go for it.
Sponsored