Now that it's spring...

Aaleck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, PP, Premium, Manual
Now that it's spring I have to start planning for fall. I live in northern Michigan ans get a fair amount of snow for 3 months. There's a lot of you (mostly the guys on the east coast line) who have winter tires and seem to do just fine.

My options are spend $1000-1200 or whatever the price is for a great set of winter tires or spend that money on a winter beater. I could probably get a late 90's early 2000 explorer for about that price with 180k miles.

My only gripe with winter is rust. I know they galvanize the steel used on the cars to prevent rusting, something they didn't do 10-15 years ago I've read.

What are your thoughts and views?
Sponsored

Nitro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP
I will always buy winter tires for my cars. Why spend so much on a car you only drive for 8 months a year? As long as a snow plow runs through your area, you should be fine.

As for rust, it is up to you if you really want to garage queen your car just to save it from potential rust. How long do you plan on keeping the car?

gzstang

Who's stang? It's gzstang
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT w/performance pack
Vehicle Showcase
I would never drive my Mustang in the winter under any circumstances... beater car for that all day long....but that's just me

ssyellow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' Competition Orange GT - PP/Recaros
Chances are a cheap winter beater will probably have lots of issues and if you're smart, you would still put winter tires on it anyways. I'm undecided on what to do, winter tires are definitely a must if you decided to use it in winter.

And before those say you won't make it through deep snow, believe me you will. As you mentioned, the only thing to really worry about is rust and salt.

Different people have different preferences and it really just comes down to what you want.

Sasuketr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GTPP
Winter tires is the way to go, my mustang is my daily and i drove it in very bad weather here in chicago even northern wisconsin this year! It has a snow wet mode for a reason, just be careful and enjoy the car year around!

Sponsored

OP
OP
Aaleck

Aaleck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, PP, Premium, Manual
Yeah, I think I'm leaning towards just slapping winter tires on her and have fun with it... I don't have a garage so I'd have to spend another $100/month on a storage unit and then the added insurance. When I had my S197 I tried dropping my collision since it was in storage but they denied me even though I had proof it was in storage. Depends on the bank I guess.

P4RKER

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Fastback
Now that it's spring I have to start planning for fall. I live in northern Michigan ans get a fair amount of snow for 3 months. There's a lot of you (mostly the guys on the east coast line) who have winter tires and seem to do just fine.

My options are spend $1000-1200 or whatever the price is for a great set of winter tires or spend that money on a winter beater. I could probably get a late 90's early 2000 explorer for about that price with 180k miles.

My only gripe with winter is rust. I know they galvanize the steel used on the cars to prevent rusting, something they didn't do 10-15 years ago I've read.

What are your thoughts and views?
I am a southern michigander and I stored mine this passed winter. I highly recommend getting a 4x4 especially in Northern MI.

Asharus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Angelo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Challenger Scat Pack
no point in having a car if you're not gonna drive it..

NewTekBuzz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT 6M
I'm in Michigan as well.... Get a nice used truck. Don't put your s550 through Michigan roads and salt! Mine will be stored in my garage with just comp. insurance...if bank don't like it I will change banks.

JimmyTwoTimes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
I used winter tires all winter and didn't have a problem.

I think the rust issue is overblown -- the only vehicles with rust problems I've ever run into are body-on-frame pickups and a very specific era of cars -- like, 1972 to 1984 or so -- when there must have been some type of steel in use that was especially prone to rust.

Sponsored

michformulas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT Premium
I drove my Mustang all winter on all season tires. I do have a truck for bad days. My mother drove her 94 Mustang on winter tires every year in Sault Ste Marie (harsh winters) until it was hit and totaled last year. Whenever possible her car was always kept clean and never showed a sign of rust.

HrsePwr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LE #735
I've got a Subaru AWD for daily driving. I don't care if it rusts, gets dinged, or someone opens a door into it in the parking lot. its a daily driver and will take abuse daily. The Mustang is for days when I can enjoy it, not for days when driving is a chore.

RobHunt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, RR, PP, 401A, NAV
I store the Mustang in the winter, I have a winter beater. I think that it is your call on what your needs are and situation is. If rust is your only concern, get a decent rust proofing done and take care of it during the winter months and you will likely be fine.

Depending on your needs, the 2nd vehicle can come in handy when you need to move stuff that you really do not want to put in your Mustang. Mine is a 07 Focus hatch and therefore gets used year round when the Mustang is less practical.

2snakes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT
Ill sell you my Wheels and Snows with 2k miles.. There off my 14 wont fit my 15 with the PP
Sponsored