Sponsored

Now math is racist? what?

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
First let me say this post is more a WTF post . Not about racisms at all and not going down that line of conversation. But more a I read this and was oh my god are we grasping at straws to make crap up and someone is making millions off this stupidity.

So basically math is now racist and this organization plans to fix it by making it not racist by.... doing away with the need to show your work... I flippin give up on this planet. The crap people come up with just to rake in money and put themselves in the spot light.

Math is math you do it or you dont. And why the bill and Melinda gates foundation even backs this stupidity.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Briebee72

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60

Sponsored

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
I always knew in my heart that math hated me...

lacanteen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2022 EB premium vert, 2013 Escape, 2017 F150 SC5.0

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
I was doing just fine right up to calculus. :facepalm:
Got derailed in Algebra, the teacher had the best war stories and loved to tell them.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
Not sure, but I think this is relevant:

Here is a real, true to life, close to home example:

My son is in Grade 10. My daughter is in Grade 9 - Public Catholic school system in Ontario, Canada.

They are, as of this school year, being taught "general" math, rather than what used to be either "Academic" (university entrance) or "Applied" (college/trade school).

The rationale, straight from the horse's mouth (school principal) was, God's honest truth - "The Province of Ontario found black students had lower test scores on standardized testing. In an effort to encourage them to 'continue' with schooling, school boards created general math for the first 2 years of high school." This is in the Catholic system where my kids attend and in the public system.

At Grade 11 level, they can then choose Academic, Applied, and the new "locally developed" - still don't understand that one.

So my kids are breezing through math right now with high 90's but I'm concerned they won't be fully prepared once the math gets more complex.

I'm just waiting now for math to be declared sexist - and the changes that follow lol.
There is a relatively simple solution to this issue. Take the students whose testing shows them to be way ahead of the curve and put them in advanced classes. This way the "slower" children
(regardless of race, etc.) have the time to improve and the "faster" students are not held back. Having the advanced students wait two years is just plain stupid.

Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
In Manitoba we have the 'no kid left behind'.. which basically means, no one fails classes. Basically geared to the indigenous community because they complained schools were geared to accommodate whites. Whatta bunch of BS.

OP
OP
Briebee72

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
Briebee, you have some reading to do. You also need to look at where an article is coming from to determine if there is bias involved.

https://www.packer.edu/about/divers...light-building-an-anti-racist-math-curriculum

https://www.education.uw.edu/slmi/anti-racist-leadership-for-ambitious-mathematics/

And an opinion piece that sees the argument from a different angle..

https://mises.org/wire/math-racist-does-not-compute
Oh no I read, The one article you have there explicitly says through citation " Teachers’ implicit biases frequently prevent them from offering high-quality instructional opportunities to Black, Indigenous, and students of color (Lewis & Diamond, 2015). "

This is what grinds my gears. These organizations who insist everything is racist. That everyone is racist. If you say you are not they insist you are but just don't know it. If you are white you are racist period. And everything is set up around you ( like getting the right answer to math). They are basically saying all teachers are bias even if they dont know it. Yeah no.... some kids (most) dont get math and dont want to learn it. IN my radiation therapy classes and in all medical imaging, Math is the majority of the classes. We had 23 students in my class we hit the math and the class shrunk to 6. It had zero to do with racism and we had a very diverse 6 that were left.

IM just over and tired of racism being attached to every single thing.

Its math no one likes it, trying to get a child to like it is impossible, every kid hates showing work and so on. So all the white people who suck at math and cant add 2 plus 2 was racist math to blame there too? NO if white people suck at something its because they were lazy or stupid if any other color sucks at something it was because white people held them back. IM just so over it.

RonsterGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
‘22 5.0 GT/‘16 F150 XLT/‘21 Explorer Platinum
My kids told me their math has been revised, or as
There is a relatively simple solution to this issue. Take the students whose testing shows them to be way ahead of the curve and put them in advanced classes. This way the "slower" children
(regardless of race, etc.) have the time to improve and the "faster" students are not held back. Having the advanced students wait two years is just plain stupid.
This is how it was. Both my kids wanted to do IB math which is an advanced placement. They can't now.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
In Manitoba we have the 'no kid left behind'.. which basically means, no one fails classes. Basically geared to the indigenous community because they complained schools were geared to accommodate whites. Whatta bunch of BS.
It may be BS, but I'm willing to bet it's true. It certainly has been in the US. Been that way for over 100 years.

By the way the US "No child left behind act" was signed by President G.W. Bush in 2002.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
It may be BS, but I'm willing to bet it's true
Bet all you want. Most immigrant kids have zero problems in our schools. It's all in the way you raise your kids.
Sponsored