Sponsored

Noticed brief puff of blue smoke today on startup, only the fourth startup since FR PP2 install...

chagan02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Lightning Blue
Vehicle Showcase
So blue smoke equals oil burning. The question is why? I don't recall ever seeing this before, but my wife started the car up today so I could move the mower in front. I was sitting behind her and as soon as she fired it up a little buff of blue smoke came out of the exhaust. Engine was cold. Oil was changed at 6500 miles, car now has just over 8000 miles. I checked the oil just after she pulled it back in the garage and it looked like it was down about a half a quart. From what I've read, a little oil use isn't all that uncommon. I installed the FR PP2 kit on it a few weeks ago, and the car has been taken out for only one drive since then. I did do a couple WOT pulls at that time, and don't recall anything out of the ordinary.

So my questions are..
  • Is it possible that the tune has damaged something? I'm not sure the tune would affect anything that would result in oil burn, ie rings and/or valve stem seals.
  • How can I confirm the tune is good? Below is a screenshot of the ProCal software readout saying it was a successful load, however there is no way to really confirm that to my knowledge. I'd assume a bad tune would result in poor vehicle operation, car runs great.
  • Car doesn't have a oil separator on it? Could that be the culprit? Is the new GT350 CAI exasperating this issue perhaps?
I'd just like to know if damage is being done, if so I'll uninstall the FR PP2 and go back to stock just to prevent further damage. Car is out of warranty due to time. I'm actually taking it up to the dealer tomorrow to get an alignment done, is there anything I should ask them to check?

unnamed.jpg
Sponsored

morgande

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP Ingot Silver | 2013 Ford F150
So keep in mind, Ford backs these tunes with warranty long as they are installed by an ASE certified tech. Ford Performance tunes are notoriously conservative compared to other 3rd party tunes on the market, and this is by design. The are definitely more on the safe side.

I say all this to say, I don't think its the tune. If the issue persist, perhaps revert to stock and see. My understanding is that the PCM goes through a learning curve after the tune is installed. It might just be making adjustments and overcorrected somewhere.

OP
OP
chagan02

chagan02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks man. Yeah I started it up this morning and tried to look for smoke and didn’t see any. I saw another thread on here where guys were noting that it only happens when you start it essentially enough to back out of the garage, shut it down, then restart within an hour or two. This is what I did yesterday when I noticed it. I assume this is just oil seeping down the tapered portion of an open valve. I agree, hard to believe ford would be risky on the tune since you could technically have this installed on a new car with warranty at the dealer.

cmxPPL219

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Agree with what morgande is saying.
It would also be hard to say it's the tune, without having been 100% sure that it never happened, prior to the tune. But from your post, it sounds like this is the first time you've seen it, post-tune. Hypothetically, it could have been puffing a little blue smoke before, and you just never noticed it.

Entirely correct that some oil burning is normal. For example, since new, my car has consistently used ~1qt every 3k km. (1,900miles).

I would perhaps drive your car it a little more frequently and get a gauge on what your oil consumption is, and if it appears to be speeding up.

cmxPPL219

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Thanks man. Yeah I started it up this morning and tried to look for smoke and didn’t see any. I saw another thread on here where guys were noting that it only happens when you start it essentially enough to back out of the garage, shut it down, then restart within an hour or two. This is what I did yesterday when I noticed it. I assume this is just oil seeping down the tapered portion of an open valve. I agree, hard to believe ford would be risky on the tune since you could technically have this installed on a new car with warranty at the dealer.
Yeah, exactly- The FP tune actually errs on the side of caution/is relatively conservative, to be "safe."

Sponsored

morgande

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP Ingot Silver | 2013 Ford F150
@chagan02 did you install yourself? I only ask because mine is in the garage waiting to get installed as well. Lol

OP
OP
chagan02

chagan02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
@chagan02 did you install yourself? I only ask because mine is in the garage waiting to get installed as well. Lol
I sure did. No reason to pay the dealer since the warranty only covers up to 3/36, which I just exceeded the 36.

BlackandBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Just normal car smoke. The PCV pulls oil in from the crankcase and recycles it. The oil can set in puddles inside the intake or PCV line and upon startup it pulls it though the engine.

Nothing out of the ordinary.

Jordan @ Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.lethalperformance.com
First Name
Jordan
Vehicle(s)
2016 Stingray M7
What morgande and BlackandBlue said. If you feel like there's abnormal operation or behavior then bring it by the dealership and have them inspect the tune and install.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
The Ford standard powertrain warranty is 5 years.

Sponsored
OP
OP
chagan02

chagan02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The Ford standard powertrain warranty is 5 years.
Yep but according to the Ford Racing Power Pack documentation, the factory power train warranty is only protected (when installed by certified mechanic) through the 3/36, for any failures associated with the power pack installation. At least that’s how I read it, which could certainly be incorrect.

https://performanceparts.ford.com/warranty/include/pdf/Select_Parts_Warranty_Statement_2017v2.pdf

Nevertheless, I haven’t seen the smoke the last two times starting it, will check again in the morning but I think it’s nothing more than what others have described as normal.

Top_Notch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT
I noticed blue smoke on my S197 5.0. Typically it was shortly after I had driven and started it back up. After adding the FRPP oil separator it went away. You should add one just to keep all the oil from running through the intake.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
I'm not a lawyer, my warranty says 5 years 60,000.

I would assume if I got the factory tune calibration I would keep the 5 year 60,000 warranty.

In your case with the low miliage I would want to keep that warranty.

Your engine is not totally broke in yet.
You have 8000 miles on a 17.

I figure 20,000 trouble free miles and good to go.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Wow!

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
The Roush tunes are 3/36.

So if you instal a Roush supercharger at 35,000 miles you only have 1000 miles of warranty.

Im not sure about the FRPP tunes.
Sponsored