Noticable gap above rear bumper cover

Fordever

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS Convertible
Just wondering how many have this issue and if there is any to clip the cover back on without removing the full rear assembly????:shrug:

As can be plainly seen in the pics below, I have a significant gap above my rear bumper cover. Both sides the same BTW.

I had my trunk liner out earlier today to tie a LED strip for the trunk lighting. Anyway, I got to sizing up the gap above the cover and I noticed the clip that holds the end/edge up, was not clipped on either side. I tried to re-clip, but it looks like you would need a specialized tool to do so. But I also noticed the clip portion of the cover looks to be clipped onto a black piece of moulded plastic that appears to be attached to the cover (should have taken a pic when I had everything apart:doh::doh: )

Anyways, anyone got any thoughts besides going back to the dealership? Do I need to remove the bumper?

[/url]IMG_0405 by Derek George, on Flickr[/IMG]

[/url]IMG_0404 by Derek George, on Flickr[/IMG]
Sponsored

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
Mine is pretty much like that straight from the factory.

OP
OP
Fordever

Fordever

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS Convertible
Mine is pretty much like that straight from the factory.
Mine has been too. Just now it's starting to really piss me off :doh: I mentioned it to the dealer last fall and they told me to bring it back and they will look at it. But it's a 40 minute drive and I just haven't been able to find the time to do it. So a Saturday afternoon would be a good time to pick at it. Doesn't look like a difficult fix. Just don't want to take off the rear bumper if I don't need to. :headbonk:

Fausted

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Caleb
Vehicle(s)
GT Prem
Same color, same issue =/

CVCashmere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Vert w/Steeda lower brace, PP sways & susp
Same color...different problem...bowing between bumper and sheet metal. But..only on one side! The other side is tight.

Go figure!

CVCashmere

Sponsored

Lightning

Miss my 93
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
50th anaversery GT, 2019 Golf R
Vehicle Showcase
Just looked at mine and all good :hail:
maybe with white it's more noticeable :shrug:

I have other alignment issues like the trunk but the black hides it well IMO and as long as nothing is rubbing,touching or denting, I'd rather not let those yahoos at ford take apart the car.
"Life is like a box of chocolates" :)

OrangeStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT Premium Competition Orange
So disappointing. Ever since the 2015 model rolled out that's all you saw in these cars... Misaligned body panels, trunk sitting higher on the right side and the rear bumpers not sitting flush with the quarter panel, etc.

Not sure if I have the link saved but someone on here made a how to. He pretty much removed the entire bumper and adjusted the bumper brackets. Came out looking way better. Try doing a search.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
I think the clips are just not clipped in.
The way ford designed those clips it's very easy to not clip them all the way in.

OP
OP
Fordever

Fordever

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS Convertible
So disappointing. Ever since the 2015 model rolled out that's all you saw in these cars... Misaligned body panels, trunk sitting higher on the right side and the rear bumpers not sitting flush with the quarter panel, etc.

Not sure if I have the link saved but someone on here made a how to. He pretty much removed the entire bumper and adjusted the bumper brackets. Came out looking way better. Try doing a search.
I am thinking that the only way is to remove the entire bumper too. I was just hoping someone had used a certain tool or had a way of doing it without removing the bumper..:doh:

But after removing my tail lights and sizing up the situation, it looks like the best way is the rear bumper removal..:rant::rant:

I guess, like you suggested, doing a search will probably help....:)

Sponsored
OP
OP
Fordever

Fordever

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS Convertible
Just looked at mine and all good :hail:
maybe with white it's more noticeable :shrug:

I have other alignment issues like the trunk but the black hides it well IMO and as long as nothing is rubbing,touching or denting, I'd rather not let those yahoos at ford take apart the car.
"Life is like a box of chocolates" :)
Black definitely hides things. But still Ford should have this stuff figured out by now. I had a really bad rear decklid alignment issue and fixed that, The doors stuck out a bit are realigned the door latches as best as could be done. My front bumper was out a bit in the driver side where the hood met. I got that aligned as well. But I REALLY don't want to remove the whole rear bumper assembly.:frusty:

Synyster06Gates

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
The way ford designed those clips it's very easy to not clip them all the way in.
Hopefully that's the case. I will be taking it to the dealer and having them take care of it.

OP
OP
Fordever

Fordever

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS Convertible
You are correct, it is the clips. But where the clips are located ya can't get a tool in there properly to compress the clip over the hook part. I think angled pliers may do it:shrug: Oh well, off the the hardware store AGAIN!!!:D

OrangeStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT Premium Competition Orange
You are correct, it is the clips. But where the clips are located ya can't get a tool in there properly to compress the clip over the hook part. I think angled pliers may do it:shrug: Oh well, off the the hardware store AGAIN!!!:D
I wouldn't blame the clips just yet...especially since I saw that guys how to(his was the same as yours and also mine).. I tried finding the link and can't seem to locate it. You have to adjust/move the bumper bracket closer to the rear quarter so this way when the bumper clips in they will be closer to each other.

OP
OP
Fordever

Fordever

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS Convertible
I wouldn't blame the clips just yet...especially since I saw that guys how to(his was the same as yours and also mine).. I tried finding the link and can't seem to locate it. You have to adjust/move the bumper bracket closer to the rear quarter so this way when the bumper clips in they will be closer to each other.
Isaw you posted the link for the fix in another thread. I searched, but no go. I guess I was using the wrong 'tagged' words....:shrug:

Thank you very much. Much appreciated....:cheers:
Sponsored