Sponsored

Noticable Driving Benefits of Long Tube Headers

tampasnake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
I'll start by saying I have done searches on this topic but was unable to find a thread that answered my questions. Everyone loves Long Tubes after their install and usually dyno results are with the introduction of headers and tune.
My question is on a DD bolt on car with cat back, tune, CAI what are the benifits of catted long tubes over stock catted manifolds?
I've talked to a person with a full ARH system and he mentioned noticeable increased in throttle response with the headers. I know there are benifits and gains if going forced induction or a full n/a build, but on a basic bolt on car is the cost of them really worth while and noticeable while driving for 5-15 horsepower?
If so are the majority of the gains in the upper RPM range?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Ultrakla$$ic

Whoflung Poo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Darren
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Ingot Silver Premium
The sound is the greatest benefit IMO. A cat delete setup would suffice if you were staying NA but on the s550 the cat is part of the exhaust manifold and needs cutting off so I just threw a set of longtubes on instead of hacking stuff up.

plc268

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Race Red
You're gonna get a decent amount of torque at the low end. That's what I feel in day to day driving.

mm2015

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP
Sound, low end torque, power. Really has been my favorite mod to date.

sk8erord

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium Performance Pack
Do catted LTH require a tune?

Sponsored

plc268

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
Do catted LTH require a tune?
They only require a tune if you want to turn of the CEL that'll result. Even with hi flow cats, the car is likely to throw a CEL for inefficient cats. There's other ways around this, but if you're putting headers on, you might as well just go with the tune.

Supposedly, the kooks headers with green cats wont throw a CEL, but that's $$$$.

sk8erord

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They only require a tune if you want to turn of the CEL that'll result. Even with hi flow cats, the car is likely to throw a CEL for inefficient cats. There's other ways around this, but if you're putting headers on, you might as well just go with the tune.

Supposedly, the kooks headers with green cats wont throw a CEL, but that's $$$$.
Blah, I'm trying to avoid a tune to keep my warranty intact. I really just want the full ARH setup because it sounds amazing, lol. But I guess I'll just find a good CBE and be happy.

plc268

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
Blah, I'm trying to avoid a tune to keep my warranty intact. I really just want the full ARH setup because it sounds amazing, lol. But I guess I'll just find a good CBE and be happy.
No offense, but if you install LTH, your powertrain warranty is probably gone anyway... with or without tune.

Unless you want to uninstall your LTH and put the stock manifolds back on in case you need to take it into the dealer... but it's not exactly a trivial process.

If you're looking for sound alone, there's plenty of options that'll give you a super aggressive note for less than the money of a full exhaust.

sk8erord

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No offense, but if you install LTH, your powertrain warranty is probably gone anyway... with or without tune.

Unless you want to uninstall your LTH and put the stock manifolds back on in case you need to take it into the dealer... but it's not exactly a trivial process.
None taken - but why would exhaust void a powertrain warranty? Not arguing, educating myself. What would LTH do to the engine that would risk voiding the warranty? I get why the tune does - it changes the operating parameters of the engine - does the LTH somehow do the same? Does the change in exhaust scavenging or whatever else the LTH help with really cause that big of a change in engine performance that it would void a warranty?

I come from the turbo 4 world - so bolt-ons there are a bit different. I get why a downpipe can void a warranty - it changes the behavior of the turbo, and that can cause problems. Do LTH do the same? This NA stuff is all new to me, lol.

aschaefer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium

If you're looking for sound alone, there's plenty of options that'll give you a super aggressive note for less than the money of a full exhaust.
Lol no, his powertrain warranty is not gone if he installs longtubes. Stop spreading false information.

Sponsored

Road Dog

Really Smart Member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Convertible
Lol no, his powertrain warranty is not gone if he installs longtubes. Stop spreading false information.
Absolutely correct, LTH don't void a warranty. In fact you can find Ford Dealers that will install them for you. That's pricey though. As for throwing a CEL some of the Kooks LTH users buy the green cats and report no CELs. Others did get the CEL and install extensions on the EG sensor. Like this: http://www.teamjdm.com/02-exhaust-bung-extensions-non-foulers-for-off-road-use/

or this:
http://www.bigdaddiesgarage.com/angled-cel-fix.html

I have no info on whether these work on regular cats and LTH though. Ask around.

2015 Silver GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GT Premium
Sure as heck is. You think a dealer is going to overlook a problem with someone that's changed the exhaust especially removing the stock cats?

foghat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
Sure as heck is. You think a dealer is going to overlook a problem with someone that's changed the exhaust especially removing the stock cats?
It depends on what the problem is. Entire warranties do not simply disappear because of an aftermarket part. Especially with something like an exhaust modification.

2015 Silver GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GT Premium
It depends on what the problem is. Entire warranties do not simply disappear because of an aftermarket part. Especially with something like an exhaust modification.
Correct but it's the drivetrain warranty most are concerned with and removing stock cats which is a federal offense sure is going to cause a problem.

foghat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
Correct but it's the drivetrain warranty most are concerned with and removing stock cats which is a federal offense sure is going to cause a problem.
I meant the entire drive train warranty is not going to disappear because of an after market part.

Removing the cats may cause you to fail any emissions tests you have to take, hell if it really is a federal offense (I don't live in the states) maybe they'll lock you up and throw away the key.

But I can tell you what won't happen, ford won't refuse to fix your water pump that prematurely failed because you have catless headers on your car.

btw, you can get 'green' hi-flo cats that are supposed to meet emissions standards.
Sponsored