not using battery cover push-pins

petronix

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
1972 Vette, 2013 Cadillac ATS 2.0T, 2000 Miata, 2017 Escape
Dealer lost two of mine before I took delivery of the car new. I lost the third. Don't need them. I do like the velcro idea. But mine hasn't budged in 3 years without. I've now even changed the battery.
Sponsored

TimH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2021 ecoboost Mustang
I've decided to not use the 3 push-pins on my battery cover. So far at 60 miles at highway speeds I haven't seen it move. I have lots of extra pins so I could put them in but I've decided to just not use them. I take my battery out twice a year to move from state to state and also this way I can look for battery terminal corrosion. If I see any movement I'll put them in.
bat cover2.jpg
If you ever get a ford performance oil separator, thats where the bracket goes

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
While performing some cursory checks underhood today, this thread reminded me I hadn't looked under my own battery cover since last season. While things were fine, it's comfort checking once or twice a year. I remember at least two threads previously where, upon prepping to replace a suspect battery, Owners discovered some significant battery terminal and cable corrosion.

Last edited:
OP
OP
19gtaz

19gtaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang GT, PP1 and 2021 Mach 1
While performing some cursory checks underhood today, this thread reminded me I hadn't looked under my own battery cover since last season. While things were fine, it's comfort checking once or twice a year. I remember at least two threads previously where, upon prepping to replace a suspect battery, Owners discovered some significant battery terminal and cable corrosion.
I had my 19 battery on a battery tender outside of the car and it corroded the copper clamp on the tender. There was corrosion coming out around the bottom of the battery post. So now I check under the battery cover a lot more.

snake bite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords of course
Yeah like this 😗. My battery died last month and this is what I found under the cover. I hadn't looked under it for the whole time I've owned it (7 yrs). The crappy thing is I've had the car Ford dealership serviced its whole life and they check battery as part of the service......obviously they don't.....what else have they missed.....I'm surprised
..not 🤣🤣🤣
20230825_172846.jpg
20230825_172852.jpg

Sponsored

OP
OP
19gtaz

19gtaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang GT, PP1 and 2021 Mach 1
Yeah like this 😗. My battery died last month and this is what I found under the cover. I hadn't looked under it for the whole time I've owned it (7 yrs). The crappy thing is I've had the car Ford dealership serviced its whole life and they check battery as part of the service......obviously they don't.....what else have they missed.....I'm surprised
..not 🤣🤣🤣
20230825_172846.jpg
20230825_172852.jpg
It was the negative terminal on my battery that corroded also. I would be so pi$$ed at that dealership. Anyway makes me want an AGM battery even more. I looked recently and the 96R is not as available as most other sizes. They're expensive too.

Garfy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT, 2012 Honda Fit Sport
I agree. I spent a bunch of years working in an operating room and OCD can be your friend. Unfortunately it's a hard habit to break so if something is supposed to be it irritates me no end until I can get it right. If it came from the factory a certain way I want it that way. I'm fine adding things, like hood struts but I'll never remove the prop rod even though it is not used anymore.
I have the hood struts also and left my hood prop in place. After all, eventually the struts will weaken and I hate having hoods drop on my head while I'm looking underneath it (happened a few times in my career with Toyotas, GMs, some Fords, Chryslers, etc.)

Garfy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT, 2012 Honda Fit Sport
..not 🤣🤣🤣
20230825_172846.jpg
20230825_172852.jpg
Wow, that's REALLY ugly! My cars NEVER got corrosion like that as I've always installed the impregnated felt rings and sprayed the terminals with a Noco type spray that stays "soft", not like some that are like a paint coating that can crack, etc. Also, I check my battery terminals condition every couple months to ensure it's pristine (at the same time I do a capacitance check of the battery's CCA).

snake bite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords of course
Wow, that's REALLY ugly! My cars NEVER got corrosion like that as I've always installed the impregnated felt rings and sprayed the terminals with a Noco type spray that stays "soft", not like some that are like a paint coating that can crack, etc. Also, I check my battery terminals condition every couple months to ensure it's pristine (at the same time I do a capacitance check of the battery's CCA).
With my older cars it's no problem to check as there is no cover. The cover has a bit of 'out of site out of mind' effect. My mistake was to assume it was OK as it's part of the log book service schedule and it's marked as checked by the dealer, which clearly they haven't done. I had to remove the battery box to clean out all the crap and to make sure it wasn't corroding anything else. Suffice to say that will never happen 2 me again as I will check it personally. I was not happy with the dealership and I told them, of course it made no difference and they didn't really take ownership.

Sponsored

Gnatsum21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Former: GT 21 Roush Twister Orange RIP | ECO 2016

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
Old-school coke will clean it right up :sunglasses:
Sponsored