Sponsored

Not daily cars, annual oil changes only?

kent0464

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kent
Vehicle(s)
1983 Ford Ranger, 1986 SVO Mustang, 2017 Mustang GT PP, 2017 F150 3.5 Eco
Vehicle Showcase
Synthetics don't degrade with time, only use.
No, synthetics have a higher tolerance to heat and aging, hence the extension in service time, at 7500 miles suggested by most manufactures of synthetic motor oil.
Sponsored

kent0464

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kent
Vehicle(s)
1983 Ford Ranger, 1986 SVO Mustang, 2017 Mustang GT PP, 2017 F150 3.5 Eco
Vehicle Showcase
I think we agree on the time part. Age related breakdown won't occur with synthetic oil in a reasonable time frame.

Pretty much, yes. My aim here is really to stop some of the people from buying into the once a year oil changes or some of the other intervals suggested such as 7500 or 12,500 miles. There’s an extremely long and informative blog on line by a certified chemical engineer that explains all this in detail and has test data on pretty much every oil made. He also explains that oil labs are pretty much a waste of money and recommends oil changes at 5000 miles for a dd regardless of oil type (Dino or synth). Which parallels my observations over the past 30+ yrs.
Here’s the link for it 540ratblog.wordpress.com

CrashOverride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I've always changed oil at least every 6 months. I was told a long time ago that condensation forms in the oil pan, and doesn't get cooked off. The water supposedly makes the oil more acidic. I never bothered to look because to be honest, I don't mind doing it just for the peace of mind. I have a quickjack so it only takes me a few minutes to do it.

I'm not a subscriber either of extended mileage oil changes. Too many engines have problems with it, even when people follow the factory OCIs. The GM HFV6's have a lot of sludge issues because of it. So does the Infinity FX45 V8 engine. I talked with a Porsche only mechanic and we got onto the IMS bearing problem on the M96 engines, and he told me that it is an even bigger problem than the forums indicate. But, he did say that those that were harder on their vehicles typically changed their oil more often, and their IMS bearings lasted longer before they grenaded the engine.

CORNYOTE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Lol! This thread went all to hell pretty quick!
My suggestions are simply that, suggestions. I build motors and transmissions for a living, so use my suggestions as you see fit.
As far as sending oil samples to a lab like Blackstone.....how many of you that use this service actually know what your looking at......do you really need to pay someone to know that there’s antifreeze or water in your oil? Or fuel? Or when the viscosity is degraded?
Let’s look at some facts; thermal break down is among the most damaging effects in motor oil, internal heat causes a chemical reaction in the motor oil which causes the viscosity to change, repeated heatings and temps beyond a certain point cause the motor oil to degrade, more so in a turbo car than an N/A car. Secondly, motor oil degrades over time, heat moisture and air cause degradation, oxygenation of the oil, leading to sludge, deposits and corrosion.
Armed with this knowledge, would you rather be reactive, to a report that the viscosity, etc has broken down.....note that while you’re waiting for the answer from a report that more damage is occurring! Or would you rather be proactive, heading off any damage by maintaining good viscosity and lubrication for the motor?
The average Joe may not understand the Blackstone readout, but like anything, if you really want to know, you'll put the time in to research and understand. The Blackstone folks will even tell you some suggestions based on their analysis and I'm pretty sure they've seen more oil than the pelicans of the Exxon Valdez.

Blackstone does a hell of a lot more than see if water or antifreeze is in the car or if viscosity is degraded. It's shows you the things you can't visually see. The readout shows what metal compounds are in the oil. Showing potential cylinder wear, or bearing wear among a hundred other things like contamination which is important to people running E85. If you've never used it and don't understand why it's used and you build engines for a living, I highly suggest you start. Testing break in oil before sending a motor out to a customer can show problems before they develop to the point of failure.

The report is as reactive as most can expect. How many people are going to break their motor down to inspect bearings every 3,000 miles? How many are pulling plugs and borescoping the cylinders every 3,000 miles? Exactly.

$28 buys a hell of a lot of piece of mind.

poncho@home

GettingOld
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
For my summer only cars, I've tending to usually do oil changes every 3000 miles, regardless of time (usually 1-2 seasons). With the mustang I have decided that I will probably do annual synthetic oil changes. I'd have no issue going up to 5000 miles per season on the oil change, but will likely be less.

Sponsored

fiveoboy01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 LB GT 400A
I have clues.....a plethora of them even. Maybe you should look for some yourself.
You are the guy who says a blown S550 is uncontrollable without major suspension mods. ROFL. Enough said.

fiveoboy01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 LB GT 400A
The average Joe may not understand the Blackstone readout, but like anything, if you really want to know, you'll put the time in to research and understand. The Blackstone folks will even tell you some suggestions based on their analysis and I'm pretty sure they've seen more oil than the pelicans of the Exxon Valdez.

Blackstone does a hell of a lot more than see if water or antifreeze is in the car or if viscosity is degraded. It's shows you the things you can't visually see. The readout shows what metal compounds are in the oil. Showing potential cylinder wear, or bearing wear among a hundred other things like contamination which is important to people running E85. If you've never used it and don't understand why it's used and you build engines for a living, I highly suggest you start. Testing break in oil before sending a motor out to a customer can show problems before they develop to the point of failure.

The report is as reactive as most can expect. How many people are going to break their motor down to inspect bearings every 3,000 miles? How many are pulling plugs and borescoping the cylinders every 3,000 miles? Exactly.

$28 buys a hell of a lot of piece of mind.
I paid for a Blackstone analysis on my airplane's oil at every change. You get a ton of info, and it's definitely worth the money if you want to know the state of your engine. Especially with an airplane where a failure is a little more problematic than it would be with a car:)

myboostedgst

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
I just change my airplanes oil once every year or two. If it doesn’t smell too bad I let it go once or twice more.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
You are the guy who says a blown S550 is uncontrollable without major suspension mods. ROFL. Enough said.
I'm not sure what point you're trying to make, as your blown S550 has major suspension mods.

fiveoboy01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 LB GT 400A
I'm not sure what point you're trying to make, as your blown S550 has major suspension mods.
Lowering springs and a cradle lockout are major suspension mods? LMAO. Ok.

Car was blown before both of those were added. How did I not crash?!?!

Stick to what you know, getting hit in parking garages.

Sponsored

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Lowering springs and a cradle lockout are major suspension mods? LMAO. Ok.

Car was blown before both of those were added. How did I not crash?!?!

Stick to what you know, getting hit in parking garages.
That you didn't crash doesn't mean driving around on the base suspension, wheels, tires and brakes with a few hundred more HP & TQ than stock, is a smart decision. That you didn't crash doesn't mean anything other than you don't drive that hard.

And I've never been hit in a parking garage.

fiveoboy01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 LB GT 400A
Oh, so now it's "I didn't drive it hard enough."

Bone stock mustangs have seen the wall, so that excuse doesn't fly. Just admit you don't know WTF you're talking about. The stock chassis and suspension can handle 700HP just fine, no one said it needs to be driven like it's at the 'ring.
Sponsored