Sponsored

Not All Michelin Cup 2 Tires are Created Equal - Behind the Scenes of Making Bespoke Tires

Dave TBG

Patiently waiting...
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 EB 201A, '86 Porsche 944
Great article, but it left me with a question. Somewhere in there was a comment that left me wondering if maybe all season tires present less of a trade-off than we have been led to believe. Certainly, a top-tier summer tire is the best for it's intended usage, but as you step down in price, or go to an A/S tire, what are their relative trade-offs between the two?
I'll use my own dilemma as an example. I DD my car year round and live where 0°F and snow are real possibilities. With the mods I've done to my car, the next step is a tire upgrade. I need to invest in bigger wheels and at least one set of tires but I've got to get the cost past the wife. New wheels, plus new top-tier summer tires plus good all season tires will get even more expensive when you figure in the attorneys fees for the divorce that would follow. (Did i mention that this car is the one that's not "my toy?") My best bet is to find a compromise and do it a little at a time. So, that means either a great A/S all year round, or, maybe 2 sets of 2nd tier tires.
I'd always assumed that an A/S is a big step down from a summer tire, but the article made it sound as if the AS3+ isn't that big a step down where dry and wet handling are concerned, when compared to some of the summer tires. Did i misunderstand something? My alternative would be 2 sets of tires and swapping back and forth, but it wouldn't be 2 sets of premium tires. The summer tire in this case would probably be something like a firestone Indy 500. So now I'm left wondering, how does a good all season compare to a 2nd level summer tire in the summer? Am I better off with a AS3+ in 285/35r19 on a 19x10 or should I go with an Indy 500 in that size and put all seasons on my current 19x8.5s?
Sponsored

Johnnydarkgt350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350R, 91f150,Lexus GX460 , 1965 Mercury comet cyclone 4speed
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks guys!
Correct.
Sometimes you see a set for sale with low non track miles, but 4 years old. I heard that the oils used in construction dry up and the tires harden ? How old do you feel is still fresh enough for correct traction?