Not a fair comparison at all. CVT Civic vs. Mustang GT

T.O.Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt Mustang
Great place for photos while passing through. Here's one of the Caddy V-wagon I traded in to get the Bullitt (which, by the way, was faster than my Mustang and my MR2 but didn't feel as fast as either, at least not until way above legal speeds):
Haven't been able to get over the border to take the same shot with Mr. Green McQueen but that's okay because Ford (who own the building) have me covered with one of their promo shots (great minds think alike):
BULLITT.jpg
Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
getting another VW family vehicle, the RS3
i guess if you squint it's a 'family' vehicle. /JK They have some special colors on offer this year. What is sacrilege is the lack of manual trans.

Make sure you try out the center console system. I think they adopted the same disasterous mess that they put on the latest GTI.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
With similar tires and approximately similarly aggressive suspension prep, the lighter car damn well better corner at a higher speed than the heavier car (yes, even FWD). Tire grip is not linear with weight. That's just the physics of tires.

The heavier mustang brings other things to the table, like actually being able to accelerate and when set up well, it can be pretty nimble too, but you're punching up in a handling fight.

Stangomydreams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Cali Special Convertible
2021 I bought a Civic for my daughter and took a long road trip to deliver to her- so serious seat time. I also bought the 21 gt\CS in the spring for me and took on several summer vacation trips. They are completely different experiences. The mustang has amazing power, looks, sound and fun factor and nails the pony\muscle\sports niche. The handling is there if spec'd right. The civic is a great reliable affordable comfortable commuter with huge storage that should be everyones car at least once. I think they are both very good cars and show their long heritage well for both companies.

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Nice reading peoples' different experiences with their cars. I got rid of my Mk6 GTI in Feb. '21 and miss it everyday. Unlike the Golf R, this was a daily driver. It was stock and not the fastest but a hoot nonetheless. I had MPS4s on it and that was enough to plant it fairly well, a winter tire setup that made it feel like it was AWD, almost.

Currently pondering getting rid of the Mustang and getting another VW family vehicle, the RS3. The other option is keeping the Mustang and getting a new Camaro. Leaning toward the RS3 though...
Man what they did to the GTI/Golf R sucks! That little stub of a shifter, it all looks hideous. VW has always been stingy with color options in the US. Even Canada has gotten better choices. RS3 with stage 2, hopefully here I come...family hauler and all.
The MK8 sure is divisive, especially coming from past Golf owners (MK7-7.5 owners specifically).

It's my current obsession; I'll be trading in the Civic for one and am almost done finalizing my 350's buy-back through Ford, so it'll be my only car doing daily duty. Might get a GR86 as a secondary fun car in a few years too. Maybe an S650 depending on how Ford plays its cards.

But yeah, I love everything about the MK8 R: the styling, the interior, all of it. That said, the polarization isn't surprising considering how much more risk they took with all of their product direction this time around, especially when the MK6-7.5 all played it very safe.

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The MK8 sure is divisive, especially coming from past Golf owners (MK7-7.5 owners specifically).
yeah cause they did ALL of the human-factors WRONG.
Try to get an overnight rental/test drive and see how much you like using the UN-LIT touch-bar and so on at night and while driving.

I think there'll be an emergency MY23 redo just like Gen6 Camaro bumper.

OP
OP
Jazzman0718

Jazzman0718

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fitz
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback. 2018 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
This thread makes me miss my Mini Cooper JCW! Most fun car I've ever driven by a long shot. And I've jumped a raptor and smacked the speed limiter in a GT500 (okay GT500 experience was more terrifying than fun but I didn't die soooo). I was tired of FWD and the 4 banger sound but the cornering and lightness was awesome! It was lowered and just about FBO stage 2, raced it with the new mustang and was actually pretty close till 80ish when the little turbo stopped being relevant. Mustang only slightly faster and surprisingly not too much worse in the corners. Biggest thing with the mustang for me is that Coyote sound, it simply can not be beat.

mini.jpg
NICE. A friend of mine had a mini with a stick and I took every opportunity I could to drive it. I have fond memories of fishtailing around the city in a snow storm and horrifying my passengers, lol. I helped her move it cross country and did some shifts behind the wheel in ungodly beautiful corners of Colorado, Nevada and the National parks of Utah (more of that laughing and sliding through snow near Bryce Canyon). If I knew I'd wind up in an urban area for as long as i did, I would have ditched my V6 Accords and zipped around and parked easier in a Mini. Love it.

A264.jpg

2012-11-10_15-08-41_575.jpg

IMG_0330.jpg

OP
OP
Jazzman0718

Jazzman0718

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fitz
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback. 2018 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase

It's my current obsession; I'll be trading in the Civic for one and am almost done finalizing my 350's buy-back through Ford, so it'll be my only car doing daily duty. Might get a GR86 as a secondary fun car in a few years too. Maybe an S650 depending on how Ford plays its cards.

But yeah, I love everything about the MK8 R: the styling, the interior, all of it. That said, the polarization isn't surprising considering how much more risk they took with all of their product direction this time around, especially when the MK6-7.5 all played it very safe.
About the GTI dash/interface. I've only read car and driver's disappointment with it. But when you've got long commutes to think about these things, it's amazing to consider each manufacturer's approach. If you read the manual and fiddle with Mustang controls, there's a sense of American Dilbert Engineers tracing and retracing their steps in 1000 meetings to get it right. Synch 3 is plain, boring and extremely functional/reliable. My stupid civic head unit is slow and tries too hard to be fancy. The Japanese seem to want to pack the best into a system, then fall short at the end. (No volume knob, can't access radio controls on a split screen while using Nav, wonky menus). I wonder what the Germans were up to in the Mk8? They could have given us basic plaid and analog switches and THRILLED the segment but like everyone, it seems they have to max out the tech to get something very new and I guess reach the middle ground sales targets.
You won't notice when you're flinging it around and blasting music though! ENJOY.

ToughSpecs

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Edge
I’m of the age that an Integra GSR or Type R is a PERFECT vehicle to daily and hoon around a lot. Lightweight, good gas mileage, and good power for what’s in them.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The fools in marketing were deluded or conned into thinking Tech sells cars. No. The damn tech is in the cell phone. Car controls are supposed to be easy and intuitive to use and fun to drive.

For everything else there is cuv and minivan. My teeth grind on edge every time Auto Mondial wax about tech in a car. Or maybe this stupid fetish is a British thing since their lives are as exciting as their weather?

Last edited:

Sponsored

theruleslawyer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
MB C350
I used the same system in the id.4 and it was one of the reasons I canceled my preorder for it. The capacitive stuff is horrible and it felt super laggy. Not something you want out of a brand new infotainment system.

firestang70

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Mustang GT
I owned a 19 Fiesta ST before my 19 GT. I can't think of a more rewarding car to drive for fun per dollar than a used Miata. Igot 34 mpg with a 93 tune and was an absolute hoot to drive but, I missed the v8 sound. I did the Steeda Ultimate Stop the Hop kit and Steeda springs and transformed the Mustang making it much more rewarding to drive.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Anyone else look at these performance discussions and say "yes, these cars are STUNNING but I can take a corner faster in a Ford Fiesta?"
No, because if you bring that Fiesta (or Civic hatch) to any track day and given equal drivers it will get walked all over regardless of how fast it can take turns.

If you're just screwing around on town roads with speed limits of 25-35mph sure those can be fun to "throw" around. But in any other type of performance driving, you can't really compare.

Weyland-Yutani

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Mustang GT, '17 Volvo V60 Platinum, '04 E-150
If I could have only it again or the Mustang, I'd keep the Mustang. The sound, the feel, the 1st to 2nd to 3rd shits at redline are too much fun.
This ^

Had a GTI. Had a S14 240-SX. Both earned auto-x trophies and were more forgiving on the limit AND ultimately had higher limits than the Mustang. No question. But, the Mustang is still more fun daily driving on the street.

I simply have more opportunities (without driving like a jackass) to squirt out overkill HP on the street than I do to hang on the ragged edge of handling limits.

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
About the GTI dash/interface. I've only read car and driver's disappointment with it. But when you've got long commutes to think about these things, it's amazing to consider each manufacturer's approach. If you read the manual and fiddle with Mustang controls, there's a sense of American Dilbert Engineers tracing and retracing their steps in 1000 meetings to get it right. Synch 3 is plain, boring and extremely functional/reliable. My stupid civic head unit is slow and tries too hard to be fancy. The Japanese seem to want to pack the best into a system, then fall short at the end. (No volume knob, can't access radio controls on a split screen while using Nav, wonky menus). I wonder what the Germans were up to in the Mk8? They could have given us basic plaid and analog switches and THRILLED the segment but like everyone, it seems they have to max out the tech to get something very new and I guess reach the middle ground sales targets.
You won't notice when you're flinging it around and blasting music though! ENJOY.
I’d give SYNC3 a solid B for a modern infotainment system. Miles better than SYNC2, which was laggy, lacked CarPlay, and would consistently shutdown and crash on me. SYNC3 is, like you said, reliable enough, but I wish it had additional features. A better customization array for accessibility and design, like backgrounds and colors (very limited and redundant options available), and better audio and device selections would go a long way.

I had the chance to use the latest system in the Mach-E for five days straight when I rented one off of Turo, and I really hope Ford goes another route when they design the S650’s UI. The profile layout and split interface just isn’t great IMO.

yeah cause they did ALL of the human-factors WRONG.
Try to get an overnight rental/test drive and see how much you like using the UN-LIT touch-bar and so on at night and while driving.

I think there'll be an emergency MY23 redo just like Gen6 Camaro bumper.
I had plenty of seat time in an ID4! Had no problems with it, besides serious lag, which is fully addressed in the USDM/CAN Golf models. Then again, unlike 95% of the journalists who did reviews on the car, I actually spent more than a cursory moment reading up on how to use the UI. There are also plenty of videos addressing common myths and complaints that get thrown at the MK8. For example:

1)”It takes nine steps to disable ESC. You have to dive into multiple sub menus and it’s unintuitive. The same goes to auto start/stop.”

Reality: it’s easily assignable as a shortcut, accessible and defeated with a single swipe, and a single press. You can have four hot key shortcuts.

2) “Lane Keep Assist defaults to on and requires multiple menu diving to disable.”

Reality: there’s literally a button at the end of the turn signal stalk.

3) “VW’s new MIB3 system crashes and lags constantly.”

Reality: EU models were plagued with issues and are being addressed with a recall. US/CAN models and everything moving forward is unaffected.

4) “I‘ve accidentally turned on the heated steering wheel button multiple times.”

Reality: owners in the Facebook group found that there’s a factory default option to turn the heated steering wheel on upon startup based on ambient temperature levels. After disabling or adjusting this, there’s nearly nobody “accidentally hitting” these haptic buttons; they literally require pressure like a regular button.

5) “There isn’t any way to turn on heated seats without diving into menus.”

Reality: you just use a two finger tap on the temperature sliders.

As far as people screaming and shouting about the unlit sliders, I honestly think that’s one of those things that people love to harp on about online. Forum enthusiasts are so dramatic about the smallest things. I use my steering wheel for volume adjustment 90% of the time in every car I’ve owned, and I thankfully have enough motor skills and spatial awareness to know where a stationary object is in my car without needing a lit runway strip. And AC? Don’t know about you guys, but I set that thing to auto for 90% of the time as well.
Sponsored

Last edited: