Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fitz
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback. 2018 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
OK, addressing to the amazing 'Stang lovers I've been reading here:

I know I'm being ridiculous and maybe need to "learn to drive" but does anyone feel that a GT is an absolute boat compared to smaller cars that feel more maneuverable/ confidence inspiring? My daily is a 2017 hatch. It's my secret mileage weapon, dog and kid carrier and I have a killer upgraded sound system in it to survive the commute. I can RIP around an exit ramp with it and then.....you know, slowly accelerate up to highway speed with my dinky engine. If I take this same rip in my 2018 GT convertible, the back end is kicking out and the suspension feels like it's fighting with reality against the bulk of the car. Nope, I don't have the PP1 dampers and yes, they would undoubtedly help but my point is: The car is doing amazing (compensating) things around a corner but it seems ARTIFICAL compared to a planted smaller car. A Focus ST or GTI comes to mind way more than my econobox. But here I am lasering around a white line in a honda and only doing it in the Mustang if I'm ready to hold a slide and confident no one is near me.

I read so many guys debating the S550 vs other performance cars and I'm always thinking to myself - does anyone go slumming like me and really enjoy pushing a car with less power that feels so much more natural than these rocket boats? Anyone else look at these performance discussions and say "yes, these cars are STUNNING but I can take a corner faster in a Ford Fiesta?"

IMG_20180125_071600086_HDR.jpg
Sponsored

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
in 2019/20 I owned the following simultaneously
'19 EB/PP
'19 GTI Rabbit Edition
'19 GT/PP1
'19 Camaro SS/1LE

By far the biggest grins were from the GTI followed by the Ecoboost.

LIGHT IS RIGHT!

The Camaro was the best (albeit) heavy sport car with the GT/PP1 with extensive mods nipping at it's heels.

I'm not sure I'd go all the way down to Miata/BRZ territory for fun (I can't fit in the BRZ for very long - enough for a wild dash of a test drive) but yes, smaller lighter cars are funner than trying to hustle a fat American V8 pig.

OP
OP
Jazzman0718

Jazzman0718

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fitz
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback. 2018 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I think the question you should ask is can you really corner faster? Or have you just not learned how to control a high power rwd car? Its a handful in comparison. Mustangs can put down some impressive cornering Gs.
YES! I agree. I bet it's very possible I'm kicking my civic's ass, going faster in the 'stang and totally not able to confirm speeds because, holy crap, how can anyone glance off the road when having that much fun? Where I have room to reach the limit in a Civic, the Stang is already past it with a toe twitch. "Handful" is an understatement.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6

I know I'm being ridiculous and maybe need to "learn to drive" but does anyone feel that a GT is an absolute boat compared to smaller cars that feel more maneuverable/ confidence inspiring? My daily is a 2017 hatch. It's my secret mileage weapon, dog and kid carrier and I have a killer upgraded sound system in it to survive the commute. I can RIP around an exit ramp with it and then.....you know, slowly accelerate up to highway speed with my dinky engine. If I take this same rip in my 2018 GT convertible, the back end is kicking out and the suspension feels like it's fighting with reality against the bulk of the car. Nope, I don't have the PP1 dampers and yes, they would undoubtedly help but my point is: The car is doing amazing (compensating) things around a corner but it seems ARTIFICAL compared to a planted smaller car. A Focus ST or GTI comes to mind way more than my econobox. But here I am lasering around a white line in a honda and only doing it in the Mustang if I'm ready to hold a slide and confident no one is near me.

I read so many guys debating the S550 vs other performance cars and I'm always thinking to myself - does anyone go slumming like me and really enjoy pushing a car with less power that feels so much more natural than these rocket boats? Anyone else look at these performance discussions and say "yes, these cars are STUNNING but I can take a corner faster in a Ford Fiesta?"

I loved my 1983 RX-7. Yes. The mustang IS a boat compared. The shifter, trans and overall feeling driving a 240Z, RX-7, and I assume BRZ/Toyo 86 would be as similar. There have been times when I really miss that.

GeorgeC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt

I just bought a subie wrx for the winter months. May be cause I'm used to the mustang and I've put a lot steeda suspension parts in it but I actually feel more confident in it I know what it's going to do. But I am really enjoying the subie cause of the six speed and yeah it is slow but still faster than at least 50% of the cars on the road. I bought the stang with the 10 speed so the stick is fun I haven't driven stick in over 50 years yeah I'm old. Now instead of worrying that it might snow I'm looking forward to it. The only thing I don't like is the car has a lot of understeer looks like I'll be getting sway bars for this car too. It's weird too much gas it understeers let your foot of the gas and it oversteers

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Theyā€™re two entirely different types of cars, but I get what youā€™re saying, since I own a GT350 and a ā€˜17 Civic with a CVT.

The Civic dominates commutes. It gets 34MPG combined. I donā€™t feel like I need to open up the throttle every second because there isnā€™t a reward for it, so Iā€™m a much more relaxed driver as a result. The steering is accurate and the ratio is quick at something like 11 or 12:1. I can store mad shit in the trunk and back seats. I donā€™t get unwanted attention. Itā€™s got a tiny footprint and a low curb weight so direction change is immediate.

But thatā€™s what itā€™s designed for and thatā€™s where the fun stops. Iā€™d go crazy if I knew that I didnā€™t have a fun option sitting aside.

The Mustang is loud and obnoxious and feels like a tank in terms of sheer size and metal wrapped around you. The steering is slower, but ten times more vibrant. I get 12MPG and have to fill up for every 2-3 days worth of driving. It gets attention from everyone and turns local traffic into wannabe racers.

But commuting in everyday traffic isnā€™t any slower feeling. Just different.

024068F9-A9DA-4CAE-B2FE-54A554C5AD45.jpeg

Sponsored

ZeroTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ZERO
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I had a 2013 and then a 2014 Civic Si and it was a BLAST to drive. 6-speed manual 2.4L DOHC naturally aspirated revvy motor. Just over 200hp. You could redline it all day long and not have to drive like a suicidal maniac. This is also why the Toyota GR86/Subaru BR-Z are so popular and highly rated, even though not fast.

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
I had a 2013 and then a 2014 Civic Si and it was a BLAST to drive. 6-speed manual 2.4L DOHC naturally aspirated revvy motor. Just over 200hp. You could redline it all day long and not have to drive like a suicidal maniac. This is also why the Toyota GR86/Subaru BR-Z are so popular and highly rated, even though not fast.
I'd like to drive a gr86 when they hit dealers. Seen a few new brz, but not the toyota.

DrZed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP1 M6

You've learned first hand it is FAR more fun driving a slow car fast than a fast car slow.
Great choice BTW.

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
As above. Nothing more fun than doing a four wheel drift around an on ramp in my ā€˜75 MG Midget, on 145 all season rubber, back when I was young.

Bulldog9

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt, 2017 Tundra TRDPRO, 1976 Porsche 912
No doubt that a small light slow car feels so much faster and fun than a heavier car. That said, I used to drive Saabs and GTI's and an E-36 M3. My son has the Civic Hatchback turbo model, and while it is a blast and a ton of fun cant hold a candle to my Bullitt in almost any situation.

I also have a Porsche 912 (1976 911 body with 4cyl) The car is a TOTAL hoot to drive balls to the wall, and insanely quick in the tight stuff. Is 1000% more fun, but also can't handle or hold the speeds in my Bullitt.

I actually like throwing the lighter cars around, but for a Grand Touring car with amazing grip, comfort, space and speed, my Bullitt (PP1 with premium packages) is hard to beat for the $$. I wish I still had the M3 to compare it to on track times.

Full transparancy, I do have a bunch of Steeda suspension parts that transform the car, but even stock the Bullitt impressed me compared to the M3,

Regardless, it is wonderful to love what you drive and drive and modify what you love. The more the Merrier.
Sponsored