Not a fair comparison at all. CVT Civic vs. Mustang GT

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
My Mk8 GTI is so much fun and I swear it handles better than my GT. Shes not as fast but she’s got her sweet spot with the Turbo and she can really boogie down those back roads. I bet she could beat my GT in curvy backroads run. I don’t drive my GT a lot these days and sometimes I think I should sell it. I drove it today tho and it’s such a beast I just can’t sell but she does feel like a big boat a little

1671500206728.jpeg
If the GT is set up right, it will have no trouble keeping up with a GTI on the backroads. Despite how boaty they feel, they can really hustle through the corners.

Not to crap on you though, I'm a big GTI fan and the MK8 has really grown on me. Looks great. Sometimes I miss my '17 Sport, but ultimately it just felt too appliance like for my tastes. You basically HAVE to tune them for them to really come alive. They are damn practical though. Pretty much a perfect DD.
Sponsored

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
My Mk8 GTI is so much fun and I swear it handles better than my GT. Shes not as fast but she’s got her sweet spot with the Turbo and she can really boogie down those back roads. I bet she could beat my GT in curvy backroads run. I don’t drive my GT a lot these days and sometimes I think I should sell it. I drove it today tho and it’s such a beast I just can’t sell but she does feel like a big boat a little

1671500206728.jpeg
So how do you like those capacitive touch controls? 😜
I'm sorry but no, Golf will not beat a GT.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Properly set up GT's are giving hard time to those M and RS cars on race tracks, let alone a GTI on a back road. Come on guys 😄
It's just the slow car fast mentality, I understand where they're coming from. It feels easier to push a slower car to its limits on a back road versus something that's scary and has limits above the driver's skill. Not that you can't make a GTI fast, but stock they're pretty tame and easy to flat foot all the time.

Rock&Roll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Stick- 2022 VW GTI Stick -2011 HD Fatboy
So how do you like those capacitive touch controls? 😜
I'm sorry but no, Golf will not beat a GT.
Love the controls and I’m saying the curvy back roads maybe. It does handle really well. I do realize my Mustang is much faster.

Sponsored

Rock&Roll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If the GT is set up right, it will have no trouble keeping up with a GTI on the backroads. Despite how boaty they feel, they can really hustle through the corners.

Not to crap on you though, I'm a big GTI fan and the MK8 has really grown on me. Looks great. Sometimes I miss my '17 Sport, but ultimately it just felt too appliance like for my tastes. You basically HAVE to tune them for them to really come alive. They are damn practical though. Pretty much a perfect DD.
Yeah it’s a really fun car to drive. I’m a musician and this car fits all my music gear easily with the hatchback. Also great fir taking my granddaughter on rides with car seat in the back. It’s just a great daily driver

Rock&Roll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Have you gouged your eyes out yet over the unlit micro contact switches?
why would I be gouging my eyes over that ?

the reviews for infotailment are terrible on the mk8 but if you go to the VW forums everyone loves it and the car. I’m thinking your reading the reviews and don’t have 1sr hand knowledge?

anyway, I drive the S model. All the same performance with no sunroof ( and other stuff I don’t need . I hate sunroofs . It has a volume knob and none of the sliders. Screen size Is the same as my Mustang Premium and everything works great. This car has a ton of stuff for a base model. I mostly use AppleCarplay and listen podcasts. I set the climate to 70 and I have zero issues with the car and I love the interior. It’s just a very cool car. They gave it more HP and stiffened up the suspension so what’s not to like

it did change the crappy shifter on it since this pic

1671545464702.jpeg

Last edited:

Sponsored

Rock&Roll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not on sheer speed, but on fun to drive at any speed and situation. Hands down grins per mile is the GTI
It really is a fun car and it’s got a sweet spot with the turbo. It’s not a straightline car. Now they’re tuning them with a extra 95 hp So we’re looking at 330-340 hp for a little car like that. So tempting but I like my warranty.…for now :)

Last edited:

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
reviews for infotailment are terrible on the mk8 but if you go to the VW forums everyone loves it and the car.
Well yeah owners aren't likely to be objective about the warts of what they just bought. I loved my 7.5 rabbit. I'm waiting for vw to repent before I buy an 8.

Rock&Roll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well yeah owners aren't likely to be objective about the warts of what they just bought. I'm waiting for vw to repent before I buy an 8.
Maybe ?

What do you not like about the the Mk8 ?

I think when you 1st get in the car you need to learn where everything is on the 2 screens and the steering wheel and that overwhelms the car reviewer people. Took me a day or 2 to find everything but i'm good now

ay1820

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT/CS
Classic big and fast vs small and quick discussion, two completely different experiences and two completely different kinds of fun.

My last fun car was a 2006 BMW E85 Z4. It was small and quick. It inspired confidence in the corners and just plain out and out gripped onto the road. It did demand attention though, you needed to actively "drive" the car not just ride in it, but it really didn't have enough power to get you into too much trouble.

By comparison, my 2020 GT feels big and fast. It actually is a pretty big car and takes up a surprising amount of space in my garage. It has way more power than I need (even though I will always want more :)). Mashing the throttle is pure exhilaration. I don't get the same confidence inspiring feel in the corners that the E85 gave me, but I actually believe that it handles the corners at least as well. The big difference is that you can much more easily push it too far and get yourself into trouble (and to be honest, I do not yet have a good "feel" for those limits). The other problem is that under day to day driving conditions, it does not demand your attention and you can lull yourself into becoming a passenger behind the wheel, which can lead to complacency.

Please don't ask me exactly what I mean by "demanding your attention" though. It is certain "X" factor that I got whenever I sat behind the wheel of my BMW.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I realize Civics and VWs are better cars, but the hot hatch talk reminds me of my FiST. I thought it was fun to a degree. I liked that it had the power to spin the tires quite often and the torque steer under power made the car feel a little bit exciting. I didn't like that it was top heavy. It really needed a better front diff. And after a while it got boring.

On the lower model Mustang GTs, the traction control kicks in really fast to prevent the rear from coming around. On the FiST, the traction control just flashes a light at you, but still lets the tires spin as much as you want them to. It makes sense, because nothing bad really happens in a front wheel drive car when the driven wheels break loose. The car won't swap ends on you or anything. Generally a hot hatch type car won't scare you if you are the type that tends to get scared by a car.

I do agree that the Mustang is a bit of a boat. It's more of a luxury GT car rather than being super sporty. But if you swap in stiffer springs and bars it does really well on the road course. That's when you will really see how good the Mustang is. On public streets there are no corners that really challenge a Mustang if you are near the speed limit.

But if you don't know what you are doing you can lose control of the car. I think that makes it more fun, but I realize others don't like that as much.

I think smaller cars can be more fun than Mustangs in a cramped, city environment. I do like my GR86 for that reason. It doesn't have the power to weight of the Mustang, but it's low to the ground and RWD, which makes it a lot better than any hot hatch in my opinion.
Sponsored