Sponsored

Northern owners- what battery tender do you use for winter?

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Oh, and it doesn't have to be a northern thing...I use my battery tenders year round. I have three vehicles so something is sitting. If it's gonna sit out of rotation for more than a few days, it gets plugged in. Knock on wood, the optima battery in my truck is so old, I have zero recollection of when I got it and it's still strong as a horse. The tender isn't life support either. It can go forever without being plugged in and still runs trouble free. I attribute this to the charger. My $0.02, they're just good maintenance for anything that has to sit; doesn't have to be cold weather/storage related.
Sponsored

OP
OP
MikeMM

MikeMM

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 on order
Oh, and it doesn't have to be a northern thing...I use my battery tenders year round. I have three vehicles so something is sitting. If it's gonna sit out of rotation for more than a few days, it gets plugged in. Knock on wood, the optima battery in my truck is so old, I have zero recollection of when I got it and it's still strong as a horse. The tender isn't life support either. It can go forever without being plugged in and still runs trouble free. I attribute this to the charger. My $0.02, they're just good maintenance for anything that has to sit; doesn't have to be cold weather/storage related.
Yeah I hear you. My Shelby is going to be sitting for a solid 6 months, so in my case it is long term cold storage.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
I've had a pile of these types of chargers after using them for winter storage for my bikes and cars for a couple of decades, and I have to say I've had the best luck overall with the cheap Schumacher unit I bought at WalMart many years ago for not much over $20.

Regardless of make, these things are gold for prolonging battery life. I just swapped out a finally-dying Motorcraft battery that was in one of my old cars since the late 1990s (yes, really) and a '06 Harley of mine still has the OEM battery in it. Everything sees a bi-monthly day on one of these chargers during the winter (and occasionally at other times of disuse) and it seems to be working.....

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
CTEK forever.

aleccolin

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.CarClubVT.com
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
BatteryMINDer, specifically for the desulphation capability. I have a Model 1510 that I use to tend 4 bikes all winter and a Model 12248 that I use to tend two cars or for conditioning of individual batteries. I've brought a couple batteries back from the brink with it, and most of the people I know with small aircraft use them since they're all AGM.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Q3CM2QY/ref=s9_acsd_hps_bw_c_x_1_w

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000JFLSL6/ref=s9_acsd_hps_bw_c_x_11_w

Model 12248 (and some others) also has a thermocouple to hook up so the charger will adjust it's program depending on the temperature of the battery.
Sponsored