Sponsored

Northern climate/winter driven S550 Mustangs: how are they holding up?

cmxPPL219

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Actually, a 245/40R19 is 0.5" more in diameter than my 305/30R19 so they are the best size match for a PP2 if you want to keep the speedo and such happy. I have heard to keep tire diameter within 3% is safe.

A 245/45R19 would be 1.5" in diameter more and throw the speed off by -5.3%. I would be doing 60 when my speedo read 56.8mph. Not terrible but I am sure it would get me into trouble.

I tend to like to keep the tire diameter as close to stock as possible. I have heard it can mess with traction control too. The 275/35R19 is also very close to stock diameters but is on the hairy edge of finding a winter tire. They make them but not many.
Gotcha - No I agree with you completely.
I should have clarified / added more context to my previous post, in that the benefit of having the slightly taller sidewall of the 245/45 compared to the 245/40, is the additional flex you get from the sidewall, which can be beneficial in the way the tire contact patch is able to "grip" and dig into certain hard-packed snow/ice situations, especially during cornering, where there is more lateral movement on the sidewall, before the contact patch gives up, and the car starts to slide - which happens sooner with the shorter sidewall.

The other benefit is due to the freeze/thaw and all the potholes and road damage that happens with winter, it also provides more cushion to absorb the impacts, if say you can't dodge them in time.

But I agree, yes, for the 245/45, the downside is its also just sliiightly out of the park for dimensions that keep the rolling stock within the oem 305/30 %s for the speedo and such.
Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Gotcha - No I agree with you completely.
I should have clarified / added more context to my previous post, in that the benefit of having the slightly taller sidewall of the 245/45 compared to the 245/40, is the additional flex you get from the sidewall, which can be beneficial in the way the tire contact patch is able to "grip" and dig into certain hard-packed snow/ice situations, especially during cornering, where there is more lateral movement on the sidewall, before the contact patch gives up, and the car starts to slide - which happens sooner with the shorter sidewall.

The other benefit is due to the freeze/thaw and all the potholes and road damage that happens with winter, it also provides more cushion to absorb the impacts, if say you can't dodge them in time.

But I agree, yes, for the 245/45, the downside is its also just sliiightly out of the park for dimensions that keep the rolling stock within the oem 305/30 %s for the speedo and such.
Imo your logic is sound, but sidewall height has less to do with those metrics than the tire itself and how it's made. If you want to simulate that effect in a more consistent way, running a slightly wider tire than the wheel will give some tread squirm and flex off center. Like a .5 inch wider tire. The extra cushion from potholes is true though. Running a slightly wider tire also helps protect your rim face if you care about that.

cmxPPL219

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Imo your logic is sound, but sidewall height has less to do with those metrics than the tire itself and how it's made. If you want to simulate that effect in a more consistent way, running a slightly wider tire than the wheel will give some tread squirm and flex off center. Like a .5 inch wider tire. The extra cushion from potholes is true though. Running a slightly wider tire also helps protect your rim face if you care about that.
I see where you're coming from - didn't look at it that way until now.
Great points :thumbsup:

kodioneill

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2019 5.0 GT Kona Blue
To avoid driving my 2019 GT I bought a 2020 F150! Aluminum truck.

Blufc3s

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stew
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Premium GT PP1, 2003 BMW Z4 3.0 Manual
Vehicle Showcase
I won’t be driving my GT in the winter in New Brunswick Canada as the salt,dirt, and snow getting on my car would bother me no end.
Truth be known the car would probably outlast me even if I did, as I’m 76. I do find by laying it up for 4 months it renews the joy of having this toy in the spring!
EAF5AD22-0211-4677-884D-15F1E23C40D1.jpeg
2A5200FB-7B54-4EFD-9656-828F7C27EE5D.jpeg

Sponsored

XeninWorX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
KC
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mustang
I won’t be driving my GT in the winter in New Brunswick Canada as the salt,dirt, and snow getting on my car would bother me no end.
Truth be known the car would probably outlast me even if I did, as I’m 76. I do find by laying it up for 4 months it renews the joy of having this toy in the spring!
EAF5AD22-0211-4677-884D-15F1E23C40D1.jpeg
2A5200FB-7B54-4EFD-9656-828F7C27EE5D.jpeg
I don’t blame you for not driving a Mustang in the winter. You east coasters get hit hard with snow.

Ramairetransam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 s550
i know this is an old thread but did anyone ever run a 235 55 18 , id like the little bit extra sidewall for pot holes and ground clearance . 19 gt with ford performance springs so im not sure if the 235 55 18 will fit .Worst case ill just get 235 50 18s
Sponsored