Noob and new GT350 owner Whipple questions

ariens.ca

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus RS
I bought a 2016 GT350 just over a week ago, car is completely stock except for a resonator delete. I'm considering a Whipple and don't know much about super chargers or this car to know how safe they are. The quote I have from my shop is attached. DaSilva Racing in Pickering Ontario.

Is this a good idea? Is this a complete kit with everything needed for the upgrade to be reliable? Any questions I should be asking? Car is mostly a DD for me but I'll prolly track it once or twice a summer.
IMG_20200821_095720.jpg
Sponsored

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 GT350 (sold)
I donā€™t know much about what it takes but I know some. Seems like you are missing other upgrades that will be needed for the extra power.
Iā€™d look up FatFabrications just to get a reference to what else youā€™ll need.
Others in the know will chime in here this weekend Iā€™m sure.

The Rooster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
DO IT!
Dasilva Racing did the Whipple on my 2017 gt350. (It was installed on my car before I got it)
Tuned to 789RWHP its an absolute beast past 5000rpms.... but at the same time its easy to drive if you keep the revs down.
I spoke to Joe regarding the other upgrades that many say are needed.... he maintained that they weren't necessary. Even though it would have meant more business for him. Stand up guy IMO.

I haven't driven a stock 350 to compare to but my previous mustang was a '19 bullitt.. and its like grandmas car compared to this one.

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 GT350 (sold)
DO IT!
Dasilva Racing did the Whipple on my 2017 gt350. (It was installed on my car before I got it)
Tuned to 789RWHP its an absolute beast past 5000rpms.... but at the same time its easy to drive if you keep the revs down.
I spoke to Joe regarding the other upgrades that many say are needed.... he maintained that they weren't necessary. Even though it would have meant more business for him. Stand up guy IMO.

I haven't driven a stock 350 to compare to but my previous mustang was a '19 bullitt.. and its like grandmas car compared to this one.
Well there you go. Canā€™t argue with a happy customer.

OP
OP

ariens.ca

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus RS
Lol, I also heard the same reassurance from DaSilva that the kit is complete and includes everything I would need. I'm not sure why other "turn-key" kits include additional bits...

Sponsored

Jdown

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JOSH
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt350 whipple charged, 1972 Camaro SS pro touring
Cant go wrong with gen 5 whipple kit! I added the 132mm throttle body along with 10 rib belt upgrade, specially if its goi g to be a daily driver. To me your asking a awful lot outta a 6 rib belt. If the belt was to ever fail it would cause alot of damage under the hood. In the grand scheme of things what's another 1500 for peace of mind.

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 GT350 (sold)
Lol, I also heard the same reassurance from DaSilva that the kit is complete and includes everything I would need. I'm not sure why other "turn-key" kits include additional bits...
Different approaches. Plenty would argue the mods never end, one begets another.
Better cooling, air flow, fuel flow, suspension etc.

OP
OP

ariens.ca

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus RS
Cant go wrong with gen 5 whipple kit! I added the 132mm throttle body along with 10 rib belt upgrade, specially if its goi g to be a daily driver. To me your asking a awful lot outta a 6 rib belt. If the belt was to ever fail it would cause alot of damage under the hood. In the grand scheme of things what's another 1500 for peace of mind.
Can you elaborate on the throttle body and belt upgrade? What benefits do they provide and how strongly should I push for them? A few grand +/- isn't a big deal....

Jdown

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JOSH
Vehicle(s)
Can you elaborate on the throttle body and belt upgrade? What benefits do they provide and how strongly should I push for them? A few grand +/- isn't a big deal....
The throttle body was a option in kit, don't know the true increase in hp. The belt upgrade on the other hand was a no brainers for me because all whipples that a sold in marine applications are 10 rib systems. Guys with boats are extremely hard on them, well lots of w.o.t running and figured better safe than sorry! Didn't want any regrets on such a build. So far have 6000mi on it and love it

Jdown

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JOSH
Vehicle(s)
The throttle body was a option in kit, don't know the true increase in hp. The belt upgrade on the other hand was a no brainers for me because all whipples that a sold in marine applications are 10 rib systems. Guys with boats are extremely hard on them, well lots of w.o.t running and figured better safe than sorry! Didn't want any regrets on such a build. So far have 6000mi on it and love it
Also I'm sure there is alot less slippage with 75% more surface contact on the pulley.

Sponsored

superman07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt350
OPG - Clutch - Fuel if e-85 - and gt500 coils.

none of these are bad ideas. Coils can be overkill but why not.

The Rooster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
marine application is totally different, those engines spend most of their lives at high rpms. Bottom line is that on the street you are very hard pressed to spend much time anywhere near redline. If I was auto crossing or even drag racing the car I might be inclined to beef things up.
Sponsored