Noob 2nd hand 2016 GT350 owner saying HELLO!

Discussion in 'Shelby GT350 Mustang' started by volcanogod, Mar 26, 2020.

1. Hack

Hack Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    Mustang, Fiesta
    0   0   0
    I agree with you 100% on this, Tom. I did the transmission swap to the track pack version and the quality of the parts gave me a lot of confidence in their reliability over time on track. And I was really grateful to Ford for the low price on the replacement transmission. It still was an expensive ordeal, but they definitely stepped up to help owners.

I still have my tech pack transmission in my garage. I have been considering a swap into my 2017 GT. It still needs a cooler, but the MT-82 will also get hot on track. The Tremec is an awesome transmission.

Oh, and the rear diff definitely needs cooling if the transmission cooling needs are taken care of.

barstowpo and volcanogod like this.
  2. Tomster

Tomster Beware of idiots

First Name:
    Tom
    Vehicle(s):
    2 - '17 and 1 - '18 GT350 R's
    0   0   0
    That's a whole other can of worms and to be honest, I have no idea how hot the diff gets when going all out. Sometimes I hear it come on at the track, sometimes I don't.

volcanogod likes this.
  3. 16Kobra

16Kobra Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2019 GT350R
    Garage Profiles:
    0   0   0
    I tracked mine 4 to 5 different times a year, never had an issue with rear end and heat.

Had shop that serviced mine every year change the brake fluid and rear end fluid. They told me both were still good to go, but after 15K and track sessions, told them to change the fluids. Traded car with 20K

volcanogod likes this.
  4. 16 Magnetic

16 Magnetic Well-Known Member

First Name:
    David
    Vehicle(s):
    2016 Shelby GT 350
    0   0   0
    I find it funny that guys with tech cars want to track their cars, and then I see a multitude of track pack cars for sale, and they all say the same thing. Never tracked. Just merely an observation

Tomster and volcanogod like this.
  5. 16Kobra

16Kobra Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2019 GT350R
    Garage Profiles:
    0   0   0
    Here in Fl, many 'R's and 350's are not tracked. Most people only want them to 'look cool'.

Those of us who track them are rare but I have to admit, I love tracking and thats the reason I PURCHASED both of my 350's

volcanogod likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    volcanogod

volcanogod Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Lee
    Vehicle(s):
    2016 Mustang GT 350
    0   0   0

Hi Magnetic,

You are correct! I'm not looking to track that much at all... I just enjoy driving but not competing with anyone but myself. :) We have toll road interstate 130 heading south of Austin which has an 85 MPH speed limit and there are many miles of nothing and usually not that much traffic. I usually hang on to my cars for a few decades which is hard to do these days with all the idiots that are not paying attention when they are driving. Austin traffic is horrible even with cell phone bans while driving. My wife thinks I have a bullseye on my back as I've been rear ended 5 times. All of them were while stopped at a stop sign or a light.

I do think adding the coolers will extend the life of the trans/diff. When we bought the car in Feb 2019 all of the GT350's were selling for a lot more than they do today. I would have loved an R, but couldn't afforded the added cost. Disclosure: I have 11 year old triplets, so I have to be creative moneywise. :crazy:

Thanks for the great feedback everyone.

7. Hack

Hack Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    Mustang, Fiesta
    0   0   0
    The Ford Performance diff cooler definitely came on for me on track. I know the on/off logic for the FP version (and the pump itself) is different than the one on the track pack cars. I think it might be a little more obvious when it comes on. I talked to the guy who bought the GT350 from me and he actually had the diff cooler pump come on during street driving.

I always wanted to track mine, but I also knew I would be 99% street driving it. I always have to fight not to roll my eyes when I see "never tracked" on a for sale ad for a car like the GT350. My assumption is most of them have either been tracked or at least driven much harder than the traffic laws permit. Very few people are going to spend all the $$ for this level of performance and then putt around in it.

16 Magnetic and volcanogod like this.
  8. Tomster

Tomster Beware of idiots

First Name:
    Tom
    Vehicle(s):
    2 - '17 and 1 - '18 GT350 R's
    0   0   0
    its a predetermined value, but I found that its a little over 180F

9. 16 Magnetic

16 Magnetic Well-Known Member

First Name:
    David
    Vehicle(s):
    2016 Shelby GT 350
    0   0   0
    Completely understand. We’re lucky to be able to own one of these or any sports car. Enjoy the car and this is a great forum for questions or any info you need

volcanogod and QCGoose like this.
  10. cmxPPL219

cmxPPL219 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Eric
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 Mustang GT PP2
    0   0   0
    Congrats on the purchase! - Couldn't help but notice that you had an Altima SE-R - So did I!
    I actually miss that car sometimes. They're so rare on not everyone knows about them, which also piques my interest when I see people who've owned them.
    Lol I know this is a Mustang forum but -
    I remember being in high school in 05 when it came out, and was surprised to see a FWD sedan that was pretty fun and raw like the SE-R was. Big VQ3.5 V6 in the front and 6spd manual - no other carmaker had anything like that at the time.
    I finally got mine, a used black one, in 2012 when I was still in College, and sold it in 2018, just because it was costing A LOT to fix. Loved that car though, through all the problems I had with it, and no matter how much it torque-steered lol.
    I had 360k km on it when I sold it an older guy who also wanted one brand new, but never got around to getting it.

What colour was yours? What attracted you to the SE-R?
    Can you tell I miss that car lol. IMG_1605.JPG IMG_1612.JPG IMG_1620.JPG IMG_1625.JPG IMG_1630.JPG IMG_1632.JPG IMG_1634.JPG IMG_1638.JPG IMG_1641.JPG IMG_1829.JPG IMG_1833.JPG IMG_1836.JPG IMG_1837.JPG IMG_1842.JPG IMG_1844.JPG IMG_1846.JPG IMG_1848.JPG IMG_1850.JPG IMG_1876.JPG IMG_1877.JPG IMG_1901.JPG IMG_1902.JPG IMG_1905.JPG IMG_1909.JPG IMG_1914.JPG IMG_1917.JPG

volcanogod likes this.
  11. OP
    OP
    volcanogod

First Name:
    Lee
    Vehicle(s):
    2016 Mustang GT 350
    0   0   0
    Has anyone tried this solution? I know it won't be as good as the track pack cooler, but was just curious. It was amazing on a few road trips last summer with the amount of heat that comes into the inside of the car around the floor/tunnel. Even the shifter was giving off heat. I've never seen limp mode yet. If this helps shield the cat heat a bit from the trans, I think it would help some.

https://lmr.com/item/LRS-SHEL30/shelby-gt350-transmission-cooler-scoop-16-17

cmxPPL219 likes this.
  12. cmxPPL219

cmxPPL219 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Eric
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 Mustang GT PP2
    0   0   0
    I completely agree with everything you said. Especially the part about people with families who still want to drive something that isn't a total bore.
    Looks like we have similar tastes in cars - except you and your checkbook beat me to a GT350 lol.
    Enjoy every moment with that machine, that car is my goal someday!

Cheers

13. milner_7

milner_7 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle(s):
    2016 Shelby GT350 Deep Impact Blue
    Garage Profiles:
    Auto Detailer, Mobile Detail Business owner
    0   0   0
    #28 milner_7, Mar 29, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
    I track my Tech and have no issues with cooling, I added the OEM Trans cooler, spoiler and JLT passenger oil separator. My cooler pump has a kill switch to shut it off when not on track. I tracked it before adding the cooler and did not go into limp mode, but was not going balls out. No diff problems. I am going to do a diff fluid change soon. Also picked up a set of new take off 19 350 wheels with Cup2s and will be using them on track days. The MPSS are great street tires, but not track tires.

volcanogod likes this.
  14. OP
    OP
    volcanogod

First Name:
    Lee
    Vehicle(s):
    2016 Mustang GT 350
    0   0   0
    I think this is the way I'll head since I'm not looking to track that much. :) That with this will probably do the trick and keep my cost low.

https://lmr.com/item/LRS-SHEL30/shelby-gt350-transmission-cooler-scoop-16-17

Only think I know is I have a grin from ear to ear driving is crappy traffic. My commutes are my happy time each day.

Thanks again everyone for all the feed back and info! :)

15. barstowpo

barstowpo Witness Protection Prog

First Name:
    Gordon
    Vehicle(s):
    2016 Deep Impact Blue GT350 Tech/Track hybrid
    0   0   0
    I tried this. I think it helped a little but it didn't prevent limp mode. You could do an aftermarket cooler for just about the same price. You might also be able to source a used cooler setup from some of the Mustang salvage yards. I was able to get the FPP kit back when they were cheap.