Sponsored

Non reusable front suspension fasteners?

JT1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Maximum Motorsports C&C plate page says there is some "not reusable" hardware.
http://www.maximummotorsports.com/2015-Mustang-Camber-Plates-C654.aspx
Strut to spindle nut and bolt, Caliper to spindle bolts, strut shaft nut and Front stabilizer link nut.

I have the Caliperfexion caliper studs on order, but I'm curious about the other fasteners.

I went to Tasca's website as the GT350 seems to take some different fasteners than listed for the "regular S550" on MM's site.

I ordered:
4 pcs W715932-S439
Strut Lower Bolt (I believe all 4 bolt are the same.)

4 pcs W520517-S450
Strut to spindle Nut, LEFT
(again I believe all 4 nuts the same)

Edit this part, I think I had it backwards...
4 strut nuts which are listed as (I think these might be packaged 4 to a P/N, so I may have 16), only need 2...
-W520215-S440
Listed as Ford Edge/Lincoln Mkx Auto Transmission M14 Nut, LEFT
Looking at this a third time, these appear to be the single nut in the middle, which is the same one MM is calling out,
http://www.tascaparts.com/auto-part...ont-suspension-cat/struts-and-components-scat

4 W717394-S439, in case my studs don't arrive soon.
Caliper Bolt, LEFT
(again believe all are the same)

Also ordered front pads:
FR3Z-2001-L

I could not find the listing for part 6 on this page, the front stabilizer link nut?
http://www.tascaparts.com/auto-part...ension-cat/stabilizer-bar-and-components-scat

Should I be concerned to reuse these? Should I be concerned to reuse any of these fasteners, since it looks like I goofed the order up?
Sponsored

Last edited:

RadBOSS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
69 BOSS302, 29 Model A Roadster
Many primary fasteners (bolts) are torque to yield type. You only want to yield them one time. Specified make up torque will do the trick. I believe these came in to use late 70's early 80's. Also torque to yield head bolts are the norm these days.

If its a primary load path fastener and you had it apart, you should replace with new where specified in shop manual. There is no guarantee a reused one will fail, nor is there a guarantee it won't.

Etchhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350R
Just had my plates installed and they tossed the old hardware as well.

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
Thats annoying whats the benefit of this ive never heard of replacing your bolts every time you loosen them, isnt that why we have TQ settings? F that I am reusing mine..

Last edited:

btown93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Knight Industries 2000
in recent years Ford has more often begun to recommend fastener replacement any time fasteners are messed with.

Sponsored

OP
OP

JT1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I see torque to yield head bolts, makes sense. On these mundane jobs, they don't make sense to me. I'm curious the rationale behind it.

Didn't get mine yet, it looks like they come with loctite on them, at least in the pictures. Do they recommend new fasteners because they don't trust the whoever is messing with them to use loctite? Or is their an actual real reason? What if I just replace the ford fasteners with some high grade fasteners of the same size?

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
it is a liability concern and the suspension hardware is not a tq to yield bolt. I forgot what the grade the suspension hardware is 10 i believe? You will be fine reusing but totally up to you. I have done countless suspension jobs on my own vehicles and only replaced damaged or corroded fasteners. As long as the hardware is tq'd to spec and not over tq'd they should be fine.

But if you have removed and reused several times it would be best to replace

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
Thats annoying whats the benefit of this ive never heard of replacing your bolts every time you loosen them, isnt that why we have TQ settings? F that I am reusing mine..
I did on my dealer departed MAG 350.

cking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17GT350AG/BS-MGW/UPR/ABLIP
with torque to yield your stretching the bolt more than it will spring back, so each reuse stretches it more. Second use probably ok. I bet by 4th use if you did a failure test you would see a reduction of 30%. First liability failures I heard of was u bolts on lifted trucks. Axles were coming off of mud trucks. Cause reused U bolts and nuts.

Rooster66

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT
I've used spindle bolts and nuts twice as well as camber plate nuts. Now that I'm swapping struts and shocks with Steeda Pro-Action It's great insurance at least for me to use new fasteners and add my own Loctite to my likings.....
Sponsored