Sponsored

Non-exhaust related drone at 36-37mph, any ideas what it could be?

KJZ28

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KevinJoyce.HoulihanLawrence.com
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT SP1
Hello Everyone!!!
When I am driving my 2019 GT 36-37mph there is this weird drone/resonance that is quite profound and more so when it is cold. Below and above that speed the noise is non-existent. The sound occurs even when the car is in neutral or the clutch is pushed in. It sounds to be coming from the passenger side near the firewall from what I can tell. Any ideas what it might be? I would like to give the mechanic some ideas of what to look for. Thank you!
Sponsored

Goterr0r

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
Check your wheel bearings. Pretty common failure sadly. On my last 18 i had one go out with 15,000 miles. My current 18 around 30,000 miles.

OP
OP
KJZ28

KJZ28

Threads
Reaction score
Website
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT SP1
Check your wheel bearings. Pretty common failure sadly. On my last 18 i had one go out with 15,000 miles. My current 18 around 30,000 miles.
Thank you! I set up an appointment to have that checked. It didn't come to mind because the car only has 25,000 miles on it. When I use to drive my old bombs with 6 digit mileage I may have thought that. Hopefully that is the issue!

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Check out the very large driveline vibration thread.
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/vibration-between-50-70-mph.15990/

In that thread, there were many instances of the driveline creating what many referred to as airplane propeller resonance when traveling at certain rpm/speed.

It contains A LOT of info and it's many pages long with tech, images and diagnosis techniques.

Wheel bearings could be an issue, but if the frequency of the sound is occurring at a certain speed, it's not wheel bearings. A bad wheel bearing noise will not only be persistent at any speed, but will increase as the car leans into the affected side with the bad bearing (noise will get more pronounced and louder).

A driveline vibe such as a bad pinion bearing will increase/decrease NVH with load - meaning as you accelerate the vibe may be present at XYZ rpm/speed, but then may also dissipate at XYZ rpm/speed either beyond or below the "target" of where the NVH is occurring.

OP
OP
KJZ28

KJZ28

Threads
Reaction score
Website
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT SP1
Check out the very large driveline vibration thread.
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/vibration-between-50-70-mph.15990/

In that thread, there were many instances of the driveline creating what many referred to as airplane propeller resonance when traveling at certain rpm/speed.

It contains A LOT of info and it's many pages long with tech, images and diagnosis techniques.

Wheel bearings could be an issue, but if the frequency of the sound is occurring at a certain speed, it's not wheel bearings. A bad wheel bearing noise will not only be persistent at any speed, but will increase as the car leans into the affected side with the bad bearing (noise will get more pronounced and louder).

A driveline vibe such as a bad pinion bearing will increase/decrease NVH with load - meaning as you accelerate the vibe may be present at XYZ rpm/speed, but then may also dissipate at XYZ rpm/speed either beyond or below the "target" of where the NVH is occurring.
Wow, Thank you for such good information and sharing that thread, that is a lot to read through. From what your saying and what I am seeing in the post it seems to be the driveshaft.
Sponsored