Law_Stu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic :(
Hey everyone.

I just placed my order for my first mustang ever today (thanks Jay @Granger!), ending a long streak of very boring Hondas. It was a weird moment of juvenile rebellious nervousness, because I was raised in a family that believed absolutely that cars were appliances, and taking an interest, let alone enjoying, them was as weird as getting excited over a washing machine.

I think the closest anyone in my family ever got to wanting to talk cars was when my mom excitedly texted me a picture of the neighbor’s new Ferrari. With the exotic name “Miata”...

Just for fun and curiosity, I was who else came from a similar background? Who else is their family’s or friends’ car person?
Sponsored

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
My family was a mix of both. Both of my grandfathers served in WWII and post war, one ran his own body shop and the other always had a general interest in cars

My parents would tell me stories about them, but neither of them were really car people. My brother on the other hand was, and I blame him for how I turned out LOL.

My dad and him inspired me to learn how to turn wrenches. I’ve been a certified Mustang nut since age 7 or so.. and it’s just expanded ever since then.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I was raised in a family that believed absolutely that cars were appliances, and taking an interest, let alone enjoying, them was as weird as getting excited over a washing machine.
Believe it or not, that sounds like my family. Dad would tackle a few maintenance and repair tasks, but only if he had to. Both could drive stick, but you have to understand that people who were born in 1919 and 1920 either learned how to do that or they didn't drive at all. I have a younger sister and a younger brother, and neither of them ever developed any real interest in cars.

I have no idea what led me into the car enthusiast world, but it's been a significant part of my life for almost 60 years at this point.

Norm

Bobn57

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
1968 Mustang Fastback, 2021 VB, GT/CS
Vehicle Showcase
My first car memory was at 5 years old when my dad was working on his car and closed the hood on my thumb! 😂 luckily I kept the thumb but lost the nail. He was a jack of all trades…..not really what I would call a car guy. Just worked on them out of necessity to get to and from work.
My best friend of 44 years and his dad got me into cars, specifically fords and especially mustangs, back in 1978. I liked mustangs since seeing a 67 fastback in the dealers showroom when I was 10 but didn’t put my hands on one until 78.
My avatar was my best friends 68 fastback. He gave it to my son a few years ago. We’re now in the middle of a full ground up restomod rebuild.
My son was born into it so I’m happy to have passed that on to him. I’m sure he’ll keep that going when he has kids. He’s a bonfide gear head.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
My older son has some interest in cars and one son-in-laws is very seriously into them. But, otherwise no family members, past or present, has any interest other than as means of transportation.
Sponsored