Sponsored

Noise when releasing clutch... sounds like fiberglass ripping

ForYourOwnGood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue 5.0
So I've noticed this noise going on for a while, I've been suspicious of the clutch since the car was brand new as it always felt weird and engages wherever it wants (I eventually just accepted it as normal although it makes me look like an idiot that cant drive pretty often) but its held up OK for 20k miles now. That said, I can count on one hand the number of times the car has seen over 7000 RPM so I can't say I'm really abusing it.

I tried to get a video of the sound against a concrete barrier at 14 seconds, but the mic can't really pick it up well. Basically, when I release the clutch sometimes it makes a sound that reminds me of someone ripping composite apart, or maybe crushing glass. I can't really feel it in the pedal though.

I've driven manuals my entire life and had dozens of them with every type of clutch you can imagine up to twin-disk 6 puck metallic compound racing clutches and never heard this kind of noise. Its a lot louder in person than the phone made it out to be which is why I'm getting more concerned as it happens more often. Anyone have any idea what it might be? I doubt the dealer will be any help as its a wear item and they'll just want to charge me $1500 to put in a new one.

Sponsored

smann

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Sorry but I can't hear anything out of the ordinary with your loud car and window open lol
Maybe its your drive train bouncing around? If it was in the clutch you might be able to feel a bit

BlueThunder

***ding Rookie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Silver Mustang PP1 Manual (former 2015 GT Auto)
I think I heard the noise you're talking about on your 3-to-4 shift at the end. Almost sounded like a crinkle or somebody shaking a bag of ice. Is that the only time it happens? Like just going 3-4, upshifts etc? Or is it random depending on the gear. All types of clutch releases or just on slower clutch-outs? Try slipping it into 1st slowly with and without RPMs (if it's something on the wheel/clutch I think this would be the easiest time to hear it).

Dunno. If you're not feeling anything weird, vibrations and what-not, it's probably nothing to worry about.

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
Didn't hear anything weird, but if it continues turn up the radio and it will go away. :wink:

OP
OP
ForYourOwnGood

ForYourOwnGood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue 5.0
I think I heard the noise you're talking about on your 3-to-4 shift at the end. Almost sounded like a crinkle or somebody shaking a bag of ice. Is that the only time it happens? Like just going 3-4, upshifts etc? Or is it random depending on the gear. All types of clutch releases or just on slower clutch-outs? Try slipping it into 1st slowly with and without RPMs (if it's something on the wheel/clutch I think this would be the easiest time to hear it).

Dunno. If you're not feeling anything weird, vibrations and what-not, it's probably nothing to worry about.
Yes that is the sound. I always hear it from a stop and then sometimes between gears after that. Its REALLY loud compared to the video between shifts, the first time I heard it I thought I ran something over. When I'm getting moving from a stop its just some small crackling noise, like rice crispies.

I'm going to bet if I pulled the transmission that some of the material has broken off of the clutch. It gives me a huge hassle sometimes getting moving where it can't decide if its going to grab or not, different than normal slipping it comes on really harsh and then lets go as soon as you start to give it gas so the whole car lurches back and forth.

Sponsored

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
I could not hear it, but what you describe sounds like a sketchy slave cylinder. Good thing it's internal. :facepalm:

BlueThunder

***ding Rookie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Silver Mustang PP1 Manual (former 2015 GT Auto)
Yes that is the sound. I always hear it from a stop and then sometimes between gears after that. Its REALLY loud compared to the video between shifts, the first time I heard it I thought I ran something over. When I'm getting moving from a stop its just some small crackling noise, like rice crispies.

I'm going to bet if I pulled the transmission that some of the material has broken off of the clutch. It gives me a huge hassle sometimes getting moving where it can't decide if its going to grab or not, different than normal slipping it comes on really harsh and then lets go as soon as you start to give it gas so the whole car lurches back and forth.
Yeesh, that's not good. Sounds are one thing and I think people have gone way past the point of sanity about some of the noises this engine makes, but in this case you're getting both noise and significant driving issues. Could be part of the clutch assembly has broken/come loose. I'm no expert on the internals so I don't know if pieces can come off or if the material would lead to what you're experiencing, like something hanging off and causing the weird grip issues. Unless you've borked your warranty I'd get it looked at.

SiMuL

.wise selectah.
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT CO PP
I think you would know if a piece of the clutch broke off. The clutch itself would be out of balance and you would really mess things up driving it like that. I imagine you would feel a strong vibration as the clutch spins, too.

No need to speculate and drive yourself mad. You might take it to Ford and have them check it out. Take it to a few dealers if you're not satisfied with the answers.
Sponsored