Sponsored

Noise / Rattle - Driver side - help needed - solved!!!

OP
OP
Birdmaster

Birdmaster

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andreas
Vehicle(s)
Mustang MY2020 GT
Thanks for your ideas. i am currently at work. On vacation next week. Mustang (named "Lea") is at home, door panel driver side off. Looking in the evening for more parts which are rattling and making freaky noises.

It is great to know we are looking together to make our Mustang quieter ;-)

Good morning from Germany :cool:
Sponsored

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Another thing I found that I forgot to mention... when you have the door panel off. Flip it over and inspect all those heat staked melted plastic rivets. I found a few around the armrest area (where your elbow would rest) that rattled when I tapped the panel. Both door panels had this problem. There was not enough compression between the parts when they melted them over leaving a gap. So, I injected some hot melt under the rivet head to fill the gap and make it solid. I also added some hot melt to the plastic tabs which fasten the arm rest pad to the door. They seemed like a source of noise as well.
door panel.jpg

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Flip it over and inspect all those heat staked melted plastic rivets.
Good tip; thanks. Hey, just to be 100% sure, just TWO screws to remove (at the bottom) on the entire door panel, correct? There're typically screws at the armrest and door pull areas, so want to make damn sure how many screws total, to avoid breaking anything if I end up having to remove those suckers (most likely). Thank you.

wilkinda65

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2020 Charger ScatPackWB
Another thing I found that I forgot to mention... when you have the door panel off. Flip it over and inspect all those heat staked melted plastic rivets. I found a few around the armrest area (where your elbow would rest) that rattled when I tapped the panel. Both door panels had this problem. There was not enough compression between the parts when they melted them over leaving a gap. So, I injected some hot melt under the rivet head to fill the gap and make it solid. I also added some hot melt to the plastic tabs which fasten the arm rest pad to the door. They seemed like a source of noise as well.
door panel.jpg
I just got back from the Ford dealer. My 2020 Shelby has THIS exact issue. I have a new complete door panel ordered and coming early next week.

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Good tip; thanks. Hey, just to be 100% sure, just TWO screws to remove (at the bottom) on the entire door panel, correct? There're typically screws at the armrest and door pull areas, so want to make damn sure how many screws total, to avoid breaking anything if I end up having to remove those suckers (most likely). Thank you.
Yes. Two 8mm screws along the bottom of the door, one 10mm in the armrest and a second 10mm behind the door pull release. Be careful of the seam where the top half of the panel is joined to the bottom half. Don't pull in this area to avoid breaking it.

Sponsored

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
So FOUR screws then. That makes more sense; thank you. Will look for a video if I have to do this. With this POS interior, I don't want any more issues with panels. Removing the door pull cover without damage looks challenging. Need to check where is the one for the armrest.

OP
OP
Birdmaster

Birdmaster

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andreas
Vehicle(s)
Mustang MY2020 GT
Yes 4 screws. We did the job a second time without damage.

FYI

OP
OP
Birdmaster

Birdmaster

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andreas
Vehicle(s)
Mustang MY2020 GT
Good morning from Germany.

We are still on our Rattle / Noise Journey... :clap::crackup::lipssealed:

We made a lot of testdrives, 90% noise is located at the top of the driver window.

We pulled out a label on the headliner, but still no chance.

In some youtube videos u see the sideairbag in the roof.
We soon want to take the headliner a bit down on the driver side, if the noise comes from the airbags or its clips...

Thank you,
stay tuned :crazy:

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
Good morning from Germany.

We are still on our Rattle / Noise Journey... :clap::crackup::lipssealed:

We made a lot of testdrives, 90% noise is located at the top of the driver window.

We pulled out a label on the headliner, but still no chance.

In some youtube videos u see the sideairbag in the roof.
We soon want to take the headliner a bit down on the driver side, if the noise comes from the airbags or its clips...

Thank you,
stay tuned :crazy:
Please post if you solve it! I also have a small rattle above my head on my 2020 GT.

OP
OP
Birdmaster

Birdmaster

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andreas
Vehicle(s)
Mustang MY2020 GT
Please post if you solve it! I also have a small rattle above my head on my 2020 GT.
Are you looking for the same noise?

Have you found something?

We are still on our search, it is frustrating...

Sponsored

Freedom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT, '22 Tesla Model 3, '22 F-150 Lightning
Have u checked the engine bay? In particular the cowl/windshield wiper portion.

OP
OP
Birdmaster

Birdmaster

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andreas
Vehicle(s)
Mustang MY2020 GT
Have u checked the engine bay? In particular the cowl/windshield wiper portion.
Thank you, yes we did. You can hear the noise only if driver side window is closed.

Tomorrow we want to check the headliner.
Or could it be the airbag over the window driver side?

Mhhhh???

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
Are you looking for the same noise?

Have you found something?

We are still on our search, it is frustrating...
I have a slight squeak up there when driving with the windows up. It's intermittent but happens all the time. I have not done much to try to fix it yet. This is on a 2020. My 2019 did not have this issue!

OP
OP
Birdmaster

Birdmaster

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andreas
Vehicle(s)
Mustang MY2020 GT
I have a slight squeak up there when driving with the windows up. It's intermittent but happens all the time. I have not done much to try to fix it yet. This is on a 2020. My 2019 did not have this issue!
This morning we visit a local dealer. His explanation was, the window should be aligned. He made no testdrive and he sayed we should do it ourselves....

Great job!

He should find another job...

Last edited:

spaz mk will

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
@Cobra Jet thanks for the link to the original headlight control rattle thread. My 2018 seemingly has a noise from the same area. Pushing on the “aluminum” dash surround stops the noise. I only notice it at highway speeds. I’ll be pulling it apart sometime in the next few days and adding felt.
Sponsored