Jackthewack

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT mt82 magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
2019 gt, mt-82 car bone stock with the shitty perelli tires and 4500 miles on it. I was driving with a crew on limecreek road in Austin Texas. A very hilly road will loads of sharp turns and steep inclines and declines. We were driving pretty hard , hardest I've ever driven a car on the street and I started noticing a noise when shifting into 3rd on acceleration. The noise was right as I finished lifting my foot off the clutch it made a noise not really sure how to describe the noise but it sounded like the clutch to me. I've driven pleanty of manuals and I know I'm fully in gear before pulling off the clutch and I've never heard it in straights just curves. Should I be concerned about my clutch. I know they changed to a different design clutch in 18-19. Thank you.
Sponsored

kent0464

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kent
Vehicle(s)
1983 Ford Ranger, 1986 SVO Mustang, 2017 Mustang GT PP, 2017 F150 3.5 Eco
Vehicle Showcase
2019 gt, mt-82 car bone stock with the shitty perelli tires and 4500 miles on it. I was driving with a crew on limecreek road in Austin Texas. A very hilly road will loads of sharp turns and steep inclines and declines. We were driving pretty hard , hardest I've ever driven a car on the street and I started noticing a noise when shifting into 3rd on acceleration. The noise was right as I finished lifting my foot off the clutch it made a noise not really sure how to describe the noise but it sounded like the clutch to me. I've driven pleanty of manuals and I know I'm fully in gear before pulling off the clutch and I've never heard it in straights just curves. Should I be concerned about my clutch. I know they changed to a different design clutch in 18-19. Thank you.

Since you only hear it on curves and you had a load in the car, it may not be the clutch, it’s probably the body shifting on the suspension. If it bothers you take a look at the trans mounting and the shifter bushings etc, the shifter sits a bit to the rear of the trans, unlike the T5’s and others that most of us grew up with so there’s likely to be a bit of movement driving hard and heavily loaded.

OP
OP
Jackthewack

Jackthewack

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT mt82 magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
I don't really know honestly. Its not like grinding just like a strange whine chunking noise so idk. I was just hoping my trans or clutch wasn't getting damaged. Thanks for the reply I'll jack it up tonight and have a look at the mount

CrashOverride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I see you are new here, welcome! The MT-82 has, at least since 2015, had a problem clunking when going into out of gears going north/south on the shifter. A nice thud/clunk as you describe it. It seems as if some are better than others, but mine does it quite frequently. 1-2 and 2-3 for the most part. Personally, I think it is lash in the gearbox, but others have said it went away with a one piece driveshaft. The MT82 has quite a few issues, but I don't think it is as terrible of a trans as people make it.

Frequent trans mods include:
- Switching to a different fluid. Some like BG, some like Amsoil, some like the "Ben Calimer Cocktail" which is two different Amsoil fluids blended together. I put together a spreadsheet on google that has all of the viscosity of a number of fluids. If you look up some of my posts, you should be able to find it. Personally I run Amsoil MTF and I am happy with it.
- New shifter. Lots of different choices. I went with just a shifter bracket by "Full Tilt boogie" and I am happy with it. Definitely the cheapest I've found out there. I have a post on it as well.
- Some people change the trans mounts, or use a poly engine mount insert.
- Some people change to a braided stainless clutch line/hose
- Some people run a separate clutch reservoir

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jackthewack

Jackthewack

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT mt82 magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you for the reply. I haven't noticed it on flare ground yet but I don't drive my car hard often.

- Some people change to a braided stainless clutch line/hose
- Some people run a separate clutch reservoir
So is there an issue with clutch fluid pressure?

CrashOverride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Some people feel the plastic factory line swells a little bit in the heat of the engine. I haven't replaced mine though so I can't comment. I previously had an SRT-4 and I ran a much firmer ACT pressure plate, and that definitely had swell issues. In that car, switching to a braided line really helped keep the clutch feel consistent from when the car was cold, until pulling it into the garage when hot.

I forgot to mention the clutch spring. There is a helper spring from the factory - it makes the pedal have a very light and non linear feel. Some people swap in a 35 pound spring and like it.

https://www.steeda.com/steeda-555-7022-s550-clutch-spring

Some people take the spring out entirely. I fall in the latter group. I actually have a 35# spring that was on the car when I bought it (I bought it used) sitting here if you want it I'd be happy to ship it to you for a few bucks. I doubt the spring is causing your noise issue, but I'm throwing it out there in case you didn't know about it and didn't like the clutch pedal feel.

A lot of manuals I know of have a CDV (Clutch delay valve) which is usually a small orifice in the clutch line. My older BMW 135i had one, as well as (Don't laugh) a Hyundai Tyburon GT I had many moons ago. It usually also deadens the clutch response, but I haven't heard anything about one and I think I looked for one in the service manual and couldn't find one.

OP
OP
Jackthewack

Jackthewack

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT mt82 magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
So you can just remove the spring in the pedal all together? Wow ok so many things that might need addressing. Im leaning more towards the clutch line maybe even look into that additional reservoir. Just because the noise happened right at the end of clutch release not during shifting. I hear alot complain about the actual shift itself like it won't go into gear at all! I have not experienced this but it's also really new and I don't drive hard often.

CrashOverride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
So you can just remove the spring in the pedal all together? Wow ok so many things that might need addressing. Im leaning more towards the clutch line maybe even look into that additional reservoir. Just because the noise happened right at the end of clutch release not during shifting. I hear alot complain about the actual shift itself like it won't go into gear at all! I have not experienced this but it's also really new and I don't drive hard often.
Yeah, if you look at the pedal assembly, there is a spring that looks like a valve spring, only larger. It is held in a "perch" to which you remove the clip and out she comes.

Everybody has a different theory about the problems, a lot of people blame it on the fact it is made in China. Personally, I don't think country of manufacture makes a difference because things are built to a spec - if the spec is trash, it doesn't matter if it's made in Germany or Georgia, it's going to be crap. That withstanding, my personal belief is that the problem is in the clutch itself - it has too much inertia. If one went to a clutch that could spin-up/down faster, then the synchros wouldn't have to work so hard in between shifts, which is usually the cause of block-outs (Well that, or simply not disengaging the clutch entirely). I seem to remember there were some incremental improvements made on the MT82 for the 2018+ mustangs, so the problems you are hearing about may be fixed or minimized. I haven't bothered to look, but it's possible they changed the clutch as well.

BrianGT2015

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP, 2015 Mustang Eco Convertible
I don't really know honestly. Its not like grinding just like a strange whine chunking noise so idk. I was just hoping my trans or clutch wasn't getting damaged. Thanks for the reply I'll jack it up tonight and have a look at the mount
I have a 2015 just clocked 39,000 miles on it yesterday. She has almost like a clutch chatter, made these noises from the transmission since I had her. Those are some hard miles I put on my baby. She just smiles and keeps asking for more. This is my 4th mustang. I have had a 2005 GT, a 2006 GT, a 03 terminator, and this girl the s550. All have been standard cars. This has been the most ungraceful transmission I have had. Hell, my 89 Berretta GT, my first car didn't make these sounds when shifting. Me and my buddy who has a performance shop locally pulled the trans and inspected it, nothing weird. We inspected the clutch nothing weird. Put it back together. Same thing same sounds like you have. Doesn't make any weird noises when I'm aggressively driving. The only time I notice the noise is when I am puttering around town and taking it easy. Also, when it's really cold outside I don't notice the sound. I thought about just changing the fluid to one of these suggested on the forum. However, what worries me is the fact that other than the noise I haven't had an issue. What if changing the fluids cause an issue. You know. I kind of chalk it up to being just a quirk she has like many others. She's a sports/muscle car, she's not a Cadillac, she is not a luxury car, she is a working mans, fun toy. She is my baby, and while she has imperfections, like the noisy clutch, it's one of those things you deal with. I suggest you check it out, see if anything is abnormal, and if not. Keep on having fun.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Jackthewack

Jackthewack

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT mt82 magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
So I did notice it does make the noise when I'm driving slow I just never noticed it before. It is quiet at low RPM and gets alittle louder at high rpms and I turn the radio off when I'm driving hard (love the sound that coyote makes) so I guess I noticed the sound more then but I'm gonajust drive it and if something happens it's under warranty so idk . Thanks all for the help

CrashOverride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I have a 2015 just clocked 39,000 miles on it yesterday. She has almost like a clutch chatter, made these noises from the transmission since I had her. Those are some hard miles I put on my baby. She just smiles and keeps asking for more. This is my 4th mustang. I have had a 2005 GT, a 2006 GT, a 03 terminator, and this girl the s550. All have been standard cars. This has been the most ungraceful transmission I have had. Hell, my 89 Berretta GT, my first car didn't make these sounds when shifting. Me and my buddy who has a performance shop locally pulled the trans and inspected it, nothing weird. We inspected the clutch nothing weird. Put it back together. Same thing same sounds like you have. Doesn't make any weird noises when I'm aggressively driving. The only time I notice the noise is when I am puttering around town and taking it easy. Also, when it's really cold outside I don't notice the sound. I thought about just changing the fluid to one of these suggested on the forum. However, what worries me is the fact that other than the noise I haven't had an issue. What if changing the fluids cause an issue. You know. I kind of chalk it up to being just a quirk she has like many others. She's a sports/muscle car, she's not a Cadillac, she is not a luxury car, she is a working mans, fun toy. She is my baby, and while she has imperfections, like the noisy clutch, it's one of those things you deal with. I suggest you check it out, see if anything is abnormal, and if not. Keep on having fun.
I had a 91 Beretta GTZ (Quad 4) also manual trans. Great cars and the vertical handle always tripped people up. Can't remember, did you get the 3.1 or was Chevy still running the 2.8 in 89?

Ford switched the fluid for the trans twice. Initially it was a very thick fluid (High viscosity) with the Gen 1 coyotes (I believe that's when the MT82 came out). When the S550 came out, Ford went to the current super-thin DCT fluid. Thin fluids shift great when cold, but can be notchy when warmed up. Thick fluids are the opposite. If you like the cold shifting of your trans, then you/your trans like a thicker viscosity fluid, so I would recommend stepping up to something thicker. Yeah, it will shift crappier when cold, but will shift better when your car is warmer (e.g. most of the time). I went with Amsoil MTF only because the viscosity was pretty close to an average of the two fluids. Cold here is low 40's. It is a little but stiff and sometimes the first and maybe 2nd 1>2 shift has a nibble, but 5 minutes into driving has great shifting.

That being said, every manual trans I've had always felt better after replacing the fluid. I personally think the fluid shears and then screws with the synchro slippage.

The clutch noise might be a dimensional thing. Like I said earlier, I think there is too much lash in these gearboxes. If you have too much lash, then every time you use the clutch the input and output shafts are going to move slightly causing a clunk, but also (if just out of total tolerance) some throwout bearing noise. Just a thought. Mine has a little bit of a throwout bearing noise, but like you I expect a manual to be a little bit rough around the edges, it's the nature of the beast. As for me, worst trans ever? My buddy's Lotus Exige. By far. Between being cable driven and the cables making a u-turn because the trans is behind you, there is absolutely no positive shifts. reverse and 1st are millimeters apart. Getting it into reverse requires pulling the stick so hard to the side that the base of the shifter groans in agony. It's so terrible such an awesome car has such a lousy shifter.

BrianGT2015

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
I had a 91 Beretta GTZ (Quad 4) also manual trans. Great cars and the vertical handle always tripped people up. Can't remember, did you get the 3.1 or was Chevy still running the 2.8 in 89?

Ford switched the fluid for the trans twice. Initially it was a very thick fluid (High viscosity) with the Gen 1 coyotes (I believe that's when the MT82 came out). When the S550 came out, Ford went to the current super-thin DCT fluid. Thin fluids shift great when cold, but can be notchy when warmed up. Thick fluids are the opposite. If you like the cold shifting of your trans, then you/your trans like a thicker viscosity fluid, so I would recommend stepping up to something thicker. Yeah, it will shift crappier when cold, but will shift better when your car is warmer (e.g. most of the time). I went with Amsoil MTF only because the viscosity was pretty close to an average of the two fluids. Cold here is low 40's. It is a little but stiff and sometimes the first and maybe 2nd 1>2 shift has a nibble, but 5 minutes into driving has great shifting.

That being said, every manual trans I've had always felt better after replacing the fluid. I personally think the fluid shears and then screws with the synchro slippage.

The clutch noise might be a dimensional thing. Like I said earlier, I think there is too much lash in these gearboxes. If you have too much lash, then every time you use the clutch the input and output shafts are going to move slightly causing a clunk, but also (if just out of total tolerance) some throwout bearing noise. Just a thought. Mine has a little bit of a throwout bearing noise, but like you I expect a manual to be a little bit rough around the edges, it's the nature of the beast. As for me, worst trans ever? My buddy's Lotus Exige. By far. Between being cable driven and the cables making a u-turn because the trans is behind you, there is absolutely no positive shifts. reverse and 1st are millimeters apart. Getting it into reverse requires pulling the stick so hard to the side that the base of the shifter groans in agony. It's so terrible such an awesome car has such a lousy shifter.
I believe it was the 3.1 I am not 100 percent sure. That car was sold off around dare I say it, 10 plus years ago (ow, I just had an old moment) I think after the winter I will switch to a thicker fluid as you said. I do prefer how she drives on a colder day. I live in Arkansas, the mustang is not my daily driver, most of the time she sits in a garage and comes out when it's nice outside and maybe gets drove to work on a Friday. For my dailies I have a nissian pathfinder (provided by work), wife has a 2004 Cadillac Escalade The big one, and my put put car around town, is a 2000 Mustang GT 5 speed with 4.10 gears and bolt on's. I love the 2000 GT's transmission. I don't know if I just wore that sucker to the point of what I like or what.

CrashOverride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I had the 2.8L in my Fiero GT and also a Cavalier Z24. My sister had a newer Z24 with the 3.1, it was a better engine for sure. The extra cubes were needed on those 8.x to 1 compression engines. The quad 4 was in many ways just like a Honda engine, it didn't come alive until about 4000 RPM. (But when it did, it was quick). I kind of think you are right in that either the trans wears, or we do, and after a while like it. Of all the transmissions I've owned, the T56 in my 94 Z28 was the best. Always went into gear with minimal effort, never any problems, great shifter feel, and strong as an ox. It's no wonder the 7 speed TR6070 in the C7 vette is based heavily on the T56 design. I've owned a early 90's Honda Civic Del Sol (A really cool car to be honest) and it was the best FWD trans I've ever driven. I think it's because it used shift rails and not shift cables.

BrianGT2015

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
I had the 2.8L in my Fiero GT and also a Cavalier Z24. My sister had a newer Z24 with the 3.1, it was a better engine for sure. The extra cubes were needed on those 8.x to 1 compression engines. The quad 4 was in many ways just like a Honda engine, it didn't come alive until about 4000 RPM. (But when it did, it was quick). I kind of think you are right in that either the trans wears, or we do, and after a while like it. Of all the transmissions I've owned, the T56 in my 94 Z28 was the best. Always went into gear with minimal effort, never any problems, great shifter feel, and strong as an ox. It's no wonder the 7 speed TR6070 in the C7 vette is based heavily on the T56 design. I've owned a early 90's Honda Civic Del Sol (A really cool car to be honest) and it was the best FWD trans I've ever driven. I think it's because it used shift rails and not shift cables.
Funny story about those Del Sol's. I still want one. They are fun little cars and I love the top. I had a friend who used to have one. Remember fast and the furious where paul walker jumped from the semi to the supra with the top down. Yea, found out even at slow speeds 10 to 15 mph that's not a good idea. It was jumping outta the bed of an s10 to the delsol though. ended up layed up for a day, battered and bruised. I always loved the t56. I don't think I ever touched on that I didn't like. Thought about doing the t56 swap if I break the mt82.
Sponsored