Sponsored

Noise from rear after changing wheels/tires

jhenley17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 F-150
Last weekend, I put on a new set of MRR 20” wheels with Indy 500s. After, I started getting a rhythmic noise from the back. I thought maybe at first the tires needed a few miles. I’ve still got less than 250 miles on them, but there’s been no change at all. It kind of sounds like a warped caliper with the slight, rhythmic change of pitch and volume, but it wasn’t present before I changed the wheels. I’ve run my hands around the inside of the wheels and tires and they’re not even close to making contact anywhere. All of the lugs are tight. Any ideas?
Sponsored

BlueThunder

***ding Rookie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Silver Mustang PP1 Manual (former 2015 GT Auto)
I'm assuming the rhythmic noise is based on speed?
Did you get them balanced before putting them on?
Did you get a friend/family member to follow you to see if there looks like there's any wheel wobble?
Not sure if it helps but I always take a wire wheel to the rotors and clean them up if I change anything like wheels/spacers etc. and then I clean up the bolts.

You already checked for rubbing, unless there's something hanging loose in there (liner), but if it's rhythmic based on speed then that's not it. You didn't do anything with the brakes at the same time, did you?

If you have a passenger in the car, do they hear the same thing on the other side? And have you tried switching the wheels around (unless you're not square and the tires are unidirectional?) to see if it keeps happening? If you can hear the noise at very slow speeds, it might help to have somebody stand around the car and listen near each wheel. Not sure what else...

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Get the tires road force balanced at a known good shop. They’ll tell you if anything looks off with the tire.

OP
OP

jhenley17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 F-150
The frequency of the pattern/rhythm (not the pitch) increases with speed, which kind of confuses me. In my experience, tire noise usually increases in pitch with speed.

The wheel was balanced when they put the tire on. I don’t know what kind of machine they used, but I may take it back to them and have them check it again. I’ll rotate my rears first and see what happens.

I don’t feel any vibrations at all. I’m not sure exactly what speed it starts, probably from zero. I know driving through my neighborhood at 20, it’s very noticeable.
Sponsored