Sponsored

Noise "clunk" after billet shock mounts..

yote41

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 gt
i recently installed upr billet shock mounts. I got everything tight as i was able to. Problem is you can't get wrench on the threaded nut that goes on shock shaft. I could only use socket and once it is snug the shaft spins. I notice over small bump i get a light clunking sound from the rear area. Any ideas?
Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Who's billet shock mounts? Steeda's?

It doesn't take much torque there, they basically just need to be tight enough, not hella-tight. Make sure other things are snug that have been touched recently... swaybar endlink?

If you hit them with an impact wrench, that's likely 'good enough'. If tightening by hand, then you might have some small play there and they might need more. I'm at a loss as to how to properly torque the steeda design. I'd call them and see if they have any advice. I used an impact wrench and called it a day..

I will say I had a chunk that showed up not too long after I installed the billet shocks, but that eventually it was tracked down to a bad shock and the spherical mount wasn't the issue.

One great way to diagnose this issue is to take your shocks(and top mounts) as a unit and swap them onto the other side of the car. if the noise follows the shock/mount, congrats, you've narrowed it down to the shock/mount. If the noise stays on that side, welp, its not the shock or mount that's knocking.

OP
OP

yote41

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 gt
Yea it is upr's mount which is same as steeda. I have ford racing shocks. I might try impact. I tightened them by hand. It almost sounds like a clunk like something is in the trunk rolling around but i rulled that out. It is around shock area and only showed up after the mount.

Sponsored

SteedaTech

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Q750
Yea it is upr's mount which is same as steeda. I have ford racing shocks. I might try impact. I tightened them by hand. It almost sounds like a clunk like something is in the trunk rolling around but i rulled that out. It is around shock area and only showed up after the mount.
They are a Steeda copy, but they are not the same as far as manufacturing and material process.
Steeda Tech

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
What are you calling
i recently installed upr billet shock mounts. I got everything tight as i was able to. Problem is you can't get wrench on the threaded nut that goes on shock shaft. I could only use socket and once it is snug the shaft spins. I notice over small bump i get a light clunking sound from the rear area. Any ideas?
Reading what you posted, sounds like you mounted the shock mount to the body first and then tried to install the shock.

Looking at the picture, you need to install the shock & shock mount as one unit.

The shock appears to have an Allen head, using an Allen wrench will prevent the shaft from spinning, as you torque the nut.

When the shock and mount are placed, you will clearly be able to torque the 4 upper and lower shock mount bolts .

Screen Shot 2020-10-10 at 7.28.26 AM.png

OP
OP

yote41

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 gt
There were no instructions. And the the top of shock has a flat spot not allen head. I dont see how mounting them with shock on or off car makes a difference

Danmg202

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt- 401a - PP1
I'd either buy a set of open sided strut sockets and do it right or do the cave man thing and wrap a finger of a glove around the shaft close to the mount. Then carefully grab that with a vice grip. Should give enough resistance to give a few pulses with an impact gun.

Are you lowered? If so are your bump stops trimmed?

JKL1031

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP Premium
12 bux I can mail you the custome socket(22mm for steeda shocks) with an Allen cutout. :)

You may be able to get it with an offset box wrench.

Sponsored

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
There were no instructions. And the the top of shock has a flat spot not allen head. I dont see how mounting them with shock on or off car makes a difference
The picture was from the Steeda install manual seen on the web page.

Assumed that was suggesting the assembly was to be done before the shock install;

Reading the post, noise started after the shock install. Leads me to believe the spinning shaft, is indicating slop in the upper mount.

The sound describe fits that. But you'll work it out,

Me I'd have known that loose parts and noises that show up, after the fact. Is a red flag to inspect the last area worked in... but that just me.

Cheers,

Screen Shot 2020-10-10 at 11.26.10 AM.png

konjiki7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 S550 GT , F30 3series , s13 240sx,Pontiac G8
Literally just experienced this problem. My passenger mount is making the noise you described....

1. Holes in the mount are several sizes larger then the bolts that support them. If I hit a bump only on the passenger side the noise happens otherwise it's silent...A huge improvement but didn't solve the issue...

2. The bore for the circle that's pressed into the billet part is slightly oversized. I can wiggle it and see the gap in fitment between the top and bottom. It makes a very tiny amount of noise when doing this by hand...

Southview

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Herby
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Convertible
Same problem with Steeda mounts. Been running them for 5 years No change. Right side only. 🤷🏻

thornclaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
do yourself a favor and just put the stock mount back on. i highly doubt this specific mod accomplishes much another than creating noise.
Sponsored