Sponsored

Noise after torsen swap

Performance nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
First, just want to say this isn't a "I'm annoyed with this noise" thread. Its more of a "is something about to break" thread.

A few months ago my 3.15 differential was swapped out with a 3.73 differential from another 2018 from a salvage yard. Had Amsoil differential fluid installed (used this on my 3.15 and had no issues with it). Test drive was good, didn't notice any noise. Fast forward to now and I can say that the differential is noisy. Not sure if it got noisier or if I just didn't notice it in lieu of all the cool benefits the swap gave me.

The noise probably is best described as a "whrrrrr" and almost sounds like rubbing. It happens most when turning (can be heard throughout the car). At speed in turns, I don't hear it but it could be because the exhaust drowns it out. Is this a normal Torsen sound or do I need to get this checked?
Sponsored

MD_

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2016 Premium w/ Performance Package
They can be noisy at low speed and performing tighter turns. Mine would make a binding like noise when I would pull out of my driveway.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
How do you like the 3.73 with the A10?

Torsens tend to be noisy.

Brian@BMVK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - Sold
First, just want to say this isn't a "I'm annoyed with this noise" thread. Its more of a "is something about to break" thread.

A few months ago my 3.15 differential was swapped out with a 3.73 differential from another 2018 from a salvage yard. Had Amsoil differential fluid installed (used this on my 3.15 and had no issues with it). Test drive was good, didn't notice any noise. Fast forward to now and I can say that the differential is noisy. Not sure if it got noisier or if I just didn't notice it in lieu of all the cool benefits the swap gave me.

The noise probably is best described as a "whrrrrr" and almost sounds like rubbing. It happens most when turning (can be heard throughout the car). At speed in turns, I don't hear it but it could be because the exhaust drowns it out. Is this a normal Torsen sound or do I need to get this checked?
I suspect it's your fluid choice.

If the Amsoil didn't have the same friction modifier that the OEM or BG fluid (an option) gets, it will be noisier.

breeves002

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Torsens are noisy at low speeds in tight turns especially. My factory dif does the same thing. I'm on BG fluid, did the same thing with factory fill.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Performance nut

Performance nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
How do you like the 3.73 with the A10?

Torsens tend to be noisy.
From a stop, not sure if it is faster or not (never timed it on a 1/4 mile) but at speed... oh heck yeah its faster. When I downshift to get on the freeway, it goes from 35 to "oh crap I need to slow down" really damn quick.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
If the Amsoil didn't have the same friction modifier that the OEM or BG fluid (an option) gets, it will be noisier.
Even if it does, throw in some Ford OEM friction modifier. Stinks to high heaven, but it works.

MD_

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2016 Premium w/ Performance Package
Even if it does, throw in some Ford OEM friction modifier. Stinks to high heaven, but it works.
Amen. I drained the OEM fluid and, after only 5k miles, it was potent. Almost as bad as my old G37's after changing the fluid at 30k mile intervals.

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
I have not noticed any noise from my torsen. I had the factory fluid changed at 35k miles by ford with whatever they recommended and no difference in noise after that either.

OP
OP
Performance nut

Performance nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
Is the Motorcraft XL-3 Friction Modifier Additive the right one for Torsen diffs?

Sponsored

bankyf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Is the Motorcraft XL-3 Friction Modifier Additive the right one for Torsen diffs?
That will be fine. The Torsen doesn’t actually require a friction modifier, but the use of it will help prevent some low speed turning noises. Ford only added as a NVH preventative.

JimC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2019 EcoBoost performance package coupe
I'm glad I read this. I've been bothered by the same noise on low speed turns. Had the dealer check it out under warranty and they said there was nothing wrong - but not sure about this dealer tech ability yet based on some other things so was still concerned. (like my wife's Lincoln that they couldn't figure out how to fix the sync that kept saying to finish loading the map update. So I finished uploading the map update and the system was fixed).

I'm glad to find out that the noise is typical for the Torsen.
Sponsored